Domain Empire

debate Let's be real, most successful domainers are people who registered domains 15-30 years ago

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Siggy2500

Established Member
Impact
This is what nobody talks about.

Decades ago, lets say roughly 25 years ago, when the internet was in its golden age, domains were in abundance and many good names were available, the average person could usually register the domain he needed without it being taken.

Domaining is not futureproof, not sustainable, it's more of an early-internet thing, even now the internet is still very young if you think about it, BUT, as the internet gets older and more people are using it, computers are advancing, the demand increases and all the half-decent domains get sucked up, even with the new TLDs. The new TLDs are overpriced, and nothing will ever compare to when the internet was fairly new, when good domains were available & free and without having to pay thousands of dollars or even millions for them.

Now, today, more than 20 years after the dot-com bubble, realistically, no domains are available for registering, only the pickers are left and if you want to get a good domain in your collection, you have to buy it at a premium and pray someone is going to buy it, and I don't think people really profit much from that at all, because it's likely that the would-be buyer is another domainer or as the nerds call it, "domain investor" like you, and I guess if the domainer or would-be buyer is smart he wouldnt buy the domain at any higher price than you did yourself because then he would have to resell it even higher if he's trying to make a profit just like you did. Then the price continues to become so high that there isn't much room left to profit off the domain within the domaining industry, then again there are chances it gets purchased by a business or individual interested in it, and then that domain goes out of public circulation and gets used as a website, with only the trash pickers left within the domaining industry.

Nobody wants domains ending in, for example: .xyz and other ugly similarities, even if you get a good domain with such ugly endings it's still realistically worthless, be real. The only TLDs in which "good" domains are worth anything are .COM, .NET and .AI, etc and that only being said if your website has traffic, it's true if you are a logical person and not a trash hoarder. The only domains which have value are high traffic domains, and if you have an ugly TLD domain, for example .xyz with high traffic, good for you, your domain has physical people entering it, then I can make an exception and consider it "valuable".

And finally, domains are not property which means you do not own them, you only have the right to use them and that is only so if you pay the yearly fee. Domains aren't property, therefore they have no book value, no officially recognized value because as I said, it's not property. It's only speculation and it's up to the so called "domain investors" what the market value for it is.

Different can be said about high traffic domains, as I said above, they have physical backing behind them in the form of customers (humans), which are important for generating revenue for a website. The only way you can make a domain "valuable" nowadays is by developing it into a website with traffic.

Alright, that is enough. Now I will be stormed with shit, feel free to thumbs down this post and mass-report me, moderate me or or whatever. I don't care! Just stay mad. Stay edgy! 🤡

And feel free to correct any mistake I made in this post, I might take it as advice, it depends. 🐒🐒🐒

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can be successful at anytime when you are buying the right name for the right market.

•••
look at the recent sales, many 5-6 figure sales are names that didn't make sense 3 years ago and certainly not 20 years ago. You make money by selling names, not by holding. There are always new trends and opportunity. Its like the stock market and real estate. If you do not enjoy domaining and have money to lose, this is not the industry for you.

•••
I don't think newgTLDs are overprised(little remark). Everyone decides for himself what to love. NewgTLDs are important. They are wide field for modern branding. Lot's of modern businesses choose to create their brand like newgTLD (with dot in the middle between two words). Such situation is in my country. I don't know what is in yours.

Just register good newgTLD for regular price, wait for 10 years, and you will be successful, maybe. Like them all. By the end there are a lot of good startups in the internet, like domaining meeting their dawn.
If you want to sell domains, this is bad advice. You can just look at any sales thread, like the one from today: https://www.namepros.com/threads/cradle-xyz-sold-for-49-988-youtibe-com-for-18-556.1319781/

gTLDs - 399
New gTLDs - 3 ------------where are the sales?
ccTLDs - 18

Some of the biggest new gtld fans are no longer around. I take a look at all the money they wasted on new gtlds and think what if they simply hopped on Namejet, GD, other places and bought decent .coms. They would be better off today, easily.

•••
This is the only account I have ever made on a domain forum, what even are you talking about?
It's not a first post type of post. It's a post of somebody who is frustrated with lack of sales. And you've posted nothing about your background with domaining. How about some basic stuff to get started:

How long have you been domaining?

How many domains do you own?

How many have you sold?

What is the breakdown of your extensions you own?

How long have you been on/reading NP?

Last edited:
•••
It's not a first post type of post. It's a post of somebody who is frustrated with lack of sales. And you've posted nothing about your background with domaining. How about some basic stuff to get started:

How many have you sold?

How many have you sold?

"It's not a first post type of post. It's a post of somebody who is frustrated with lack of sales."

Why are you saying I should be like the rest of the sheep herd and be afraid to say what I genuinely think, just because my account is new?

This forum isn't necessarily experts-only as you guys are making it look like. I always see the same heads popping up to the right hand of my screen in Blog favorites, it's funny lol fr.

My post does not have anything to do with me and my experience with domains, it's just someones debate, quit going off-topic.

And my post is closing in on 1k views, that's higher than the average one.

Last edited:
•••
"It's not a first post type of post. It's a post of somebody who is frustrated with lack of sales."

Why are you saying I should be like the rest of the sheep herd and be afraid to say what I genuinely think, just because my account is new?

This forum isn't necessarily experts-only as you guys are making it look like. I always see the same heads popping up to the right hand of my screen in Blog favorites, it's funny lol fr.

My post does not have anything to do with me and my experience with domains, it's just someones debate, quit going off-topic.

And my post is closing in on 1k views, that's higher than the average one.
You dodged all the questions I asked. And you are like the rest of the sheep, I just went over that yesterday. Those are all real headlines I posted about death/dying of domaining threads here. This thread I will just add to the list when somebody else starts one of these threads again this year, next year.......

Again, and this is just a sample. There are many more of these types of threads. So no, you're not breaking new ground with this thread:

DNS dying? - this one was almost 19 years ago

The death of domaining?

Domain industry is dying slowly?

The domain gravy train has passed

Is domaining becoming a "Nigerian" Scam?

Is Domaining basically one giant pyramid scheme?

Googlenet to kill Domaining?!

Buying/Selling - Is it Time to Quit Domaining?

How long can you hold on?

Last edited:
•••
You dodged all the questions I asked.
"My post does not have anything to do with me and my experience with domains, it's just someones debate, quit going off-topic."

•••
"My post does not have anything to do with me and my experience with domains, it's just someones debate, quit going off-topic."
Another dodge. Of course it does. If somebody is failing at domaining, they're going to have a negative view. People that are making money, do this for a living, love domaining etc, are going to have a positive view.

Last edited:
•••
But hey, if it was easy, everyone would do it.
In my case, it took YEARS to develop the knack/ability to make a successful buy (one that would sell eventually).

Finding a decent name is the easy part...pricing, marketing, sales pitch, etc. are the tough bits but they get better/easier with time. The trick is being able to deal with renewals financially and making proper drop decisions when necessary.

I do feel sorry for the newbies that have fallen prey to the clowns that make money telling them how easy it is (by selling them a 'program' or just relying on clicks or embedded ads).

•••
Another dodge. Of course it does. If somebody is failing at domaining, they're going to have a negative view. People that are making money, do this for a living, love domaining etc, are going to have a positive view.

That's delusional, when you are in an industry you must try to forecast and account for the occasional recessions, large-scale or small-scale, that happen in every industry, big and small, to minimize the losses and uphold the profit.

Last edited:
•••
That's delusional, when you are in an industry you must try to forecast and account for the occasional recessions, large-scale or small-scale, that happen in every industry, big and small, to minimize the losses and uphold the profit.
You're just repeating the same stuff I read every single year. Take the thread titles I mentioned, do an NP search on them, read. It's basically copy and paste stuff. In your head, you think you're breaking new ground with some deep insight.

You mention forecasting again, yet for some reason can't answer basic questions. Hit these off with your next post:

How many have you sold?

These are simple questions, don't require a book response. Few minutes maybe.

As far as "And my post is closing in on 1k views, that's higher than the average one."

Nobody cares but maybe you.

•••
You're just repeating the same stuff I read every single year. Take the thread titles I mentioned, do an NP search on them, read. It's basically copy and paste stuff. In your head, you think you're breaking new ground with some deep insight.

You mention forecasting again, yet for some reason can't answer basic questions. Hit these off with your next post:

How many have you sold?

These are simple questions, don't require a book response. Few minutes maybe.

As far as "And my post is closing in on 1k views, that's higher than the average one."

Nobody cares but maybe you.
I answered your questions, but maybe not in a way that suits you.

Too bad!

Last edited:
•••
I answered your questions, but maybe not in a way that suits you.

Too bad!
You literally didn't answer any of them.

How many have you sold?

If you did, we could probably figure out where the problem is.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I provided one answer to all of your questions.
Lying about that isn't helping you. 5 basic questions, some require actual numbers. I think we both get that answering them will give some insight into why you're failing at domaining and needed to get a new account to make this post. If you posted under you regular name, people could check what you've been doing. Try to find something you're good at, it's not domaining.

Last edited:
•••
Lying about that isn't helping you. 5 basic questions, some require actual numbers. I think we both get that answering them will give some insight into why you're failing at domaining and needed to get a new account to make this post. If you posted under you regular name, people could check what you've been doing. Try to find something you're good at, it's not domaining.
I provided one answer to your questions, whether it was a straight one or not.

You are making false claims.

Last edited:
•••
I provided one answer to your questions, whether it was a straight one or not.

You are making false claims.
There is an easy way to prove him wrong
Answer his questions
But you will not , right ?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Skipped most of the discussion as it's comparing apples to oranges...

Challenge yourself. Give yourself a 1K budget, acquire some names and flip them for a profit within a year...

Buy, sell ,rinse and repeat... Build up funds and acquire seriously valuable domains. Be brave enough to hold for the right price.

At the same time, sell whatever name for whatever price just to remain cash flow positive and build funds. Underselling is not necessarily a bad thing. It might provide you with the funds to renew or buy another great opportunity.

Be prepared to be able to act upon it when the opportunity presents itself!

It takes time, effort and an educated bet. Back then, it was a huge gamble. Way different.

•••
Was this ever in question? It's always the early investors that make the most money, the bull-rush is long over.

These days investing is more or less means trading domains on the aftermarket. You buy really good domains that are undervalued, and you flip them. That's the strategy.

•••
The OP is right on some points.
I can speak of myself, already 4 years of domaining, sold only 2 domains almost 2K USD compared to more than 60K USD already invested, received offers in all this years, the biggest one was 20K USD and now I regret about it, maybe I should have accepted it and other low ball offers, I feel disappointed so if I lose all my money by renewing them, then suicide, then you will know who is guilty, NP's, it's members, registrars and the end users.
Many reported sales are fake, the aka sold domains by Godaddy remain parked, some domains are worse than my today hand regs, the report sold domains thread if you search, some domains are even not registered.
There are many black holes in this industry, also this is a gambling and you have to be a professional squatter to be lucky.
Also traffic on my domains on Dan have dropped drastically, which is suspicious, maybe Godaddy is angry on me and is hiding my domains, if that is the case I will move to other marketplaces.

In short domaining should be a side hustle, not a full time endeavour, because money will be poured like water, without huge return, starting today or 5 years ago is like playing a Russian roulette game.

Agree or not but this is how I see things from my own perspective. IMO

P.s. I have more than 1800 of domains, imagine my sleepless nights. :ROFL:

•••
So why did you choose Siggy2500 instead of Siggy which seems to be available? 😁

•••
definition of industry:

1. economic activity concerned with the processing of raw materials and manufacture of goods in factories
2. hard work
(ty Oxford Languages)

so by this definition of domaining, it is an industry cause it is hard work to sell a domain.

•••
While everyone is entitled to his opinion, I think it's a bit of a pathetic way of thinking that ''oh, if you get to this game 30-20 years ago you are good, rest of us mortals are doomed''. Just like 30-20 years ago when you had to be creative thinking ahead of time, of what names will sell - exactly the same thing is happening now.

There was a time when only a handful of people could imagine 3-letter names will fly high, now exactly the same handful of people imagine some new golden egg that is still inside the chicken...

Time was different, better names were available to handreg, but same goes for end-users. Instead of buying for $$$$$ were more options available to choose from to register instead of buying.

In essence, the nature of this business did not change a bit.

Indeed, it's different. Five years ago I could snatch a better name on auction or ExpiredDomains with less experience. But it only means you have to apply different tactics now, that's it. Whether one wants to dive in, spend hours of work, adjusting - another question.

But the way you wrote the article it seems to me that 30 years ago you would write exactly the same thing.

•••
If anyone writing on these forums was successful, he wouldn't be writing on these forums.
This is the salty truth.
You might think, hey I'm doing good I'm on these places doing my business.
That's not successful, that's hard working for some minor profit :\
Never quit tho.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back