NameSilo

Legal liability when starting websites?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I know this can't be official legal advice, but I'm curious about your thoughts on this. I've got a few websites in mind, none of them would sell any kind of product, they would be informational sites (ranging from how to make extra money to novelty type sites).

How common are lawsuits against these types of websites? Suppose a site gave tips on how to turn a hobby into a business on Ebay (something which I know alot about). Even if you give a legal disclaimer on the site,....would there still be possible liability? There are so many frivolous and ridiculous lawsuits in the news now days, it kind of makes you stop and think.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There's not much risk of lawsuit if you are creating original informational content. What would they sue you over?

Usually laws would apply. You can't use content that belongs to other people without their permission (images, text, logos). Make sure you don't make false statements (libel) against others.

The most common thing companies get upset about is when you use their trademark in your domain name. For instance, if you build a site on eBaySecrets.Com, ebay may get upset and claim that your use of "ebay" in your domain name may confuse visitors to thinking that your site is affiliated with them. Keep your domain generic (AuctionSecrets.Com) and you'll be fine.

•••
My "safety net" was to begin spending 500 bucks a year for a business insurance policy. $500 is the mimimun premium with the compay I use, but it provides good liability coverage. Even a "frivolous" lawsuit can cost thousands to defend - and I believe there are some lawyers who keep their business afloat with crap lawsuits.

I'm 56 and have developed a pot-belly. Gee, maybe I should sue Mickey-D's because of all the fries I've consumed over the years that did not have a disclaimer about high caloric content. And maybe I can also sue the website guy with the recipie for homemade beer, or whatever...

I also now "incorporated" as a Limited Liability Company. In Maryland that only cost me $63.

Just some food for thought - please don't sue me over it. :lol:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back