Dynadot

Large volume domain transfers are a royal pain in the butt!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I don't know if anyone here has ever attempted to transfer hundreds of domains but what a royal pain in the butt that is.

So lets use godaddy as an example.....

1. If I enter more than 100 names into the bulk transfer area it just seems to hang and not do anything.
2. So for a simple 2-3 hundred transfers I have to have 2-3 invoices and do the procedure 3 times.
3. Emails.... holy crap batman that fill up my inbox with about 600 emails. Do they expect me to answer them?
4. Now I have to manually enter 2-300 transfer codes.

I have not seen a truly automated system and I don't understand why there is no such thing.

So example....

I want to transfer 500 domains from one registrar to another.... godaddy rep says no problems, let me help. Well big deal, all he does is the bulk entry which is the easiest part. I still get all the email crap, click on this, respond to that and enter the transfer code.

So why can registrars not talk amongst themselves and automate this. They see one email address on all domains, one owner, one registrar. WHat the heck else do they need??

It's such a convoluted system and it drives me up the wall. Having hundreds if not thousands of domains really ties you to one registrar because moving them is a daunting task.

I think the first registrar that truly automates this might win the registrar battle.

Are you listening

@GoDaddy
@Epik.com
@Dynadot
@namesilo

etc.

Come on guys..... ANYONE?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can export all your domains with their auth codes from GD and do a bulk transfer to NS or DY.

•••
And dow do you bulk transfer the auth codes to the receiving registrar?

All major registrars should be able to talk to each other similar to when I switch from gmail to hotmail etc.

•••
Both NS and DY support bulk transfer. They have a box where you can input up to 50 or 100 domains with their auth codes next to them.

You get those from the Excel you exported from GD.

•••
Yes, but it's no different, I still have to manually input 500 auth codes.

•••
After you download the Excel with all your domains, remove those you don't want to transfer. Also, remove all the columns except for domain and auth code.

Now select all, copy and paste into the transfer box.

•••
Easy bulk transfers do not work fails most all the time and has not worked correctly for years. In fact, if you call GD support sometimes they admit bulk transfers do not work, or the agent does not know how to do bulk transfers without doing them and auth codes manually.

Since GD is larger than the next 6 biggest registrars COMBINED it is crazy they cannot hire better programmers to fix that issue and many other bugs and problems with the platform, especially their poor bulk operations capacity in several areas of the platform. How can they spend millions of $ on 1 super bowl ad but not money on good programming.

P.S. If using Excel it also fails unless you first manually delete all spaces in front of auth code (a tedious job) and even then it often fails or locks up your computer never finishing.

Last edited:
•••
I don't know if anyone here has ever attempted to transfer hundreds of domains but what a royal pain in the butt that is.

So lets use godaddy as an example.....

1. If I enter more than 100 names into the bulk transfer area it just seems to hang and not do anything.
2. So for a simple 2-3 hundred transfers I have to have 2-3 invoices and do the procedure 3 times.
3. Emails.... holy crap batman that fill up my inbox with about 600 emails. Do they expect me to answer them?
4. Now I have to manually enter 2-300 transfer codes.

I have not seen a truly automated system and I don't understand why there is no such thing.

So example....

I want to transfer 500 domains from one registrar to another.... godaddy rep says no problems, let me help. Well big deal, all he does is the bulk entry which is the easiest part. I still get all the email crap, click on this, respond to that and enter the transfer code.

So why can registrars not talk amongst themselves and automate this. They see one email address on all domains, one owner, one registrar. WHat the heck else do they need??

It's such a convoluted system and it drives me up the wall. Having hundreds if not thousands of domains really ties you to one registrar because moving them is a daunting task.

I think the first registrar that truly automates this might win the registrar battle.

Are you listening

@GoDaddy
@Epik.com
@Dynadot
@namesilo

etc.

Come on guys..... ANYONE?

@MapleDots - Epik bulk transfers are pretty painless, with or without the free transfer concierge. Here is the UI:

upload_2018-10-12_9-51-57.png

You can bulk import as large a list as you like formatted as:

domain1 auth1
domain2 auth2

It works with or without commas.

As for the FOA email verification, verified accounts can skip this step.

The Domain Transfer Concierge at Epik is also free in case you want us to just do it for you.

•••
In general registrars make transfers IN easy, even in bulk.
But to transfer OUT, you have to request the auth codes one by one most of the time, they don't want to make it easy to leave :) Especially when they are not competitive on renewals (hi Daddy).
At least GD allows you to export a list.
My advice is to automate things yourself using the API provided by the registrar.
This is what I do to transfer out of GD. Using their UI is a nightmare.

But if you are trying to move hundreds of domains, maybe it means you did not choose the registrar that is right for you in the first place.

•••
In general registrars make transfers IN easy, even in bulk.
But to transfer OUT, you have to request the auth codes one by one most of the time, they don't want to make it easy to leave :)

At other registrars that is correct but with GoDaddy my experience is transfers OUT are much easier to do vs bulk transfers IN which is weird and I am sure due to poor or negligent platform coding which GD does not try to fix for some odd reason. Been like that for years.

Last edited:
•••
-Edit

Last edited:
•••
Hire someone to do the dirty job for you. Lock 'em up in your basement till the job is done and no domains are stolen. Many will do it for a good $0.1/domain and a few beers (pizza is a plus).

•••
Use Namesilo.
GD is the worst user interface and completely useless structure.

•••
I don't have that much domains, but as I had a bunch to transfer recently, I can understand that this must be annoying when you have to transfer that much domains recently. Already with just my handful domains would have been a pain in the ...

As Kate proposed, doing it via API makes the job ten times easier. For this reason I stick to registrars offering API, which I use for my whole domain mangement. This way, transferring domains even is fun :)
The idea of hiring someone to do that respectively offering this as some kind of service doesn't sound so bad. Technically I could do that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back