NameSilo

Landing Page or forward to GoDaddy Premium listing?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
With a landing page you can show that the name is for sale with a contact form and possibly have an Escrow.com button but it doesn't make the buyer feel more comfortable with the process or to help justify higher pricing.

If you forward to your Godaddy premium listing it is a direct call to action to buy the name and it gives the name and selling process credibility since many have heard of Godaddy. With premium listings it looks like Godaddy is the actual seller of the name which I believe helps to justify higher pricing. Obviously with Godaddy you give up 20% commission though.

I have sold them both ways and was curious which works best for you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
many years -when I started- I have send my domain traffic to sedo
- in the end they are not rewarding me in any way-

then to parkingcrew with a "for sale banner" redirecting to nameinvestors
- yes thats ok-

lately I spend a lot of time and money
to develop my own system
as the existing systems all s*ck at some point

now I have it the way I want it
main advantage: I can change anything in really time if an issue occurs
-those other parties will need 1 or 10 years to understand it's an issue-

if somebody wants a domain - he will buy it

no matter where the landing page is situated
but I really hate to give away controll of my traffic

example LP:
http://mopely.com/

Last edited:
•••
Any tools or scripts that can help with this? I have a lot of domains so a generic form that can be used across all of them (which also fills in the domain in question correctly) would be very useful

<?php
preg_match('/[^.]+\.[^.]+$/', $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"],$match);
$localhost = $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"];
$domain= $match[0];

echo $domain;
?>

•••
Seems like everything is working in efty's favor to take the business.
Godaddy/afternic have their issues like above + no easy option to direct straight to a for sale landing page with no ads without redirecting from bodis etc., as does DNS with the slow time of some brokers reacting/scripted emails and uniregistry signup page the first thing the lead sees etc.

The only thing I want to see efty improve on is landing page speed which takes around 6 seconds to load which is ridiculously slow. However, I have been told they around around 2 weeks till fixing this so that they load much faster. I'm going to give them a good go.
Efty is developing in a great way. However, I think they may be negatively affected by their system being based around escrow.com to handle domain transactions, since the quality of the escrow service offered by escrow.com has deteriorated since they were acquired by Freelancer, and Brandon Abbey left the company.

•••
Efty is developing in a great way. However, I think they may be negatively affected by their system being based around escrow.com to handle domain transactions, since the quality of the escrow service offered by escrow.com has deteriorated since they were acquired by Freelancer, and Brandon Abbey left the company.

You are right, didn't think of that.

As mentioned, also the fact that the landers are currently taking 6 seconds to load, but i've been told that is soon to be fixed. As for escrow.com i've been one of the most vocal critics on this forum of Escrow since FL took over. They destroyed the warrior forum and are doing similar if not quite in identical fashion to Escrow.

That may be something else I need to suggest to Efty perhaps in time.

Last edited:
•••
if you own many domains efty is not the place to go

+ plus extremely slow landing pages
- I can't see why this is not a fast fix-

all these companies don't care for feedback and
feature requests
and don't act fast

so for me it was not an option

Last edited:
•••
if you own many domains efty is not the place to go

+ plus extremely slow landing pages
- I can't see why this is not a fast fix-

all these companies don't care for feedback and
feature requests
and don't act fast

so for me it was not an option

Yeah the only reason i'm giving them a try is i've made some decent sales there lately despite that.
I also do not like it has taken so long to work on the landers but they insist it will be done in around 2 weeks from now.

Will see.

•••
Yeah the only reason i'm giving them a try is i've made some decent sales there lately despite that.
I also do not like it has taken so long to work on the landers but they insist it will be done in around 2 weeks from now.

Will see.

sales are always a good reason;)

•••
If you want to fix the country redirection problem, I think you just have to add the flag "checkAvail=1" to the URL:

https://godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?checkAvail=1&domainToCheck=tasty.com

At least that worked for the countries I checked. Maybe people can say if it doesn't work from their country or use other methods to verify it.

But there's still the problem of GoDaddy showing cheap domain options beneath your listing anyway.

Last edited:
•••
I have seen some sales landers with paypal option. How could they verify the buyer?
(i mean to avoid chargebacks)

•••
•••
If you want to fix the country redirection problem, I think you just have to add the flag "checkAvail=1" to the URL:

https://godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?checkAvail=1&domainToCheck=tasty.com

At least that worked for the countries I checked. Maybe people can say if it doesn't work from their country or use other methods to verify it.

But there's still the problem of GoDaddy showing cheap domain options beneath your listing anyway.

Its working fine from india.

•••
tasty 900 euro
thats not to bad

works from germany

•••
•••
that link worked. Showing cheaper options on your lander looks bad. However it showed the org and xyz as available until i clicked on them. I am going to build my own. If the buyer wants to use sedo or godaddy it can be set up quite easy.

•••
<?php
preg_match('/[^.]+\.[^.]+$/', $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"],$match);
$localhost = $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"];
$domain= $match[0];

echo $domain;
?>

Thanks. I have a similar script but I'm thinking a proper inquiry form that's more professional and has a lower barrier than emailing.

•••
as far as I know Quality traffic+Good landing page = High Conversion! but if we only have good landing page meanhwile the traffic are just passing by or low Q, conversion will be low, but if have quality traffic and landing page not good! Med Conversion! I am sure sales will happen soon or later! so I think the most important things is, try to get high quality traffic! and list your domain everywhere e.g forums, marketplace and etc.

if you have premium domain, don't do anything! I am sure ppl will start to contact you and try to buy your domain! but problems is most of us, don't have that kind of domains, so focus on traffic! just like Google, they never make Great LP(just white page with decent explaination), and they hate Great LP. e.g affiliates site,CPA pages, squeze page and etc! because for some reason those kind of LP, are not very informative, cause buyer need value and what benefit will they get if they buy our product, and not just buy something that good to be true, cause its like cat in sack!

For long term sales or repeated buying, Google guideline can make your sales stable!(already try this with aff product) I.e explain what you sell and the benefits! but if you just want to make quick sales, just get traffic and build squeze page! cause the conversion could be very high! but if you very confident with your product, just build normal sales pages, and promote! just make sure what they pay are worthy!

but if you just list on marketplace or forum, I think it will be hard since many ppl do the same thing ! unless you have really good domain, with cheap price!

•••
•••
Sorry for the delayed response. I was out on vacation last week and I am just catching back up now. I am not sure who gave you that link to use but we do make changes from time to time around how to link to specific domains you are listing. This is because we are constantly updating the website, if we didn't we'd still look like this :) and be only in English, https://web.archive.org/web/20060719165611/http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/default.asp

What I suggest is that you use this link which has worked for many years, https://auctions.godaddy.com/trpItemListing.aspx?domain=DOMAINEAMPLE.com

That will work if you have a domain name listed for sale on GoDaddy and should work no matter what language or mobile device you are using.

•••
Sorry for the delayed response. I was out on vacation last week and I am just catching back up now. I am not sure who gave you that link to use but we do make changes from time to time around how to link to specific domains you are listing. This is because we are constantly updating the website, if we didn't we'd still look like this :) and be only in English, https://web.archive.org/web/20060719165611/http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/default.asp

What I suggest is that you use this link which has worked for many years, https://auctions.godaddy.com/trpItemListing.aspx?domain=DOMAINEAMPLE.com

That will work if you have a domain name listed for sale on GoDaddy and should work no matter what language or mobile device you are using.
Thanks for getting back to us Joe. The link you provided works with Godaddy auctions but do you have a reliable link that works for Premium Listings across all languages?

•••
The auctions link is the only one I know of that will work no matter what. We didn't build a link for premiums that will work no matter what, basically what is being done is a "hack" where you grab our link to return premiums and send it to a customer, but we are not involved in the process in that no one is asking us to provide a direct link so anytime the developers update the site functionality your link can break. I have asked that they look into some sort of consistent link that we can provide customers to use to show their domain but I am not sure what the response will be on that so in the meantime I would suggest you use the auctions link as we actively do use that for customers and affiliates and it is in our system to be checked when we make updates to the site to have it continue to work. It is important to note that this link is not part of our official offerings and is subject to break as well, however, it is much less likely to do so.

•••
•••
The only thing I want to see efty improve on is landing page speed which takes around 6 seconds to load which is ridiculously slow. However, I have been told they around around 2 weeks till fixing this so that they load much faster. I'm going to give them a good go.

We just moved all domains to newly configured name servers so everyone should see a significant improvement in load times and overall performance.

•••
My preference is to rely on landing pages that already exist in the marketplace which not only look very professional, but are credible and reliable.

Examples include Brandbucket, Uniregistry, Afternic.

I understand I will need to pay a commission but atleast I have a better chance to sell a domain using these services vs doing it on my own using a wordpress site or Efty.

The commission is usually offset by the higher prices I can get using the above services.

Example: If I was to sell a domain for $1000 on my own site I could easily sell the same domain for $1500 if I listed it on Brandbucket/Afternic/Uniregistry.

•••
Example: If I was to sell a domain for $1000 on my own site I could easily sell the same domain for $1500 if I listed it on Brandbucket/Afternic/Uniregistry.

for me thats the wrong concept

1) brandbucket is a different thing
2) if you can sell it at 1500 at markeplaces
you can sell it at 1800 your place
or at 18k
as you may know the leads background

•••
but a clever enquirer will never use their real name/email address to negotiate a price particularly for an expensive domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back