Dynadot

Landing Page or forward to GoDaddy Premium listing?

NameSilo
Watch
With a landing page you can show that the name is for sale with a contact form and possibly have an Escrow.com button but it doesn't make the buyer feel more comfortable with the process or to help justify higher pricing.

If you forward to your Godaddy premium listing it is a direct call to action to buy the name and it gives the name and selling process credibility since many have heard of Godaddy. With premium listings it looks like Godaddy is the actual seller of the name which I believe helps to justify higher pricing. Obviously with Godaddy you give up 20% commission though.

I have sold them both ways and was curious which works best for you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
By forwarding to the GD premium listing, do you mean forwarding the name to: godaddy.com/en/domains/searchresults.aspx?domainToCheck=DOMAIN.COM ?

•••
By forwarding to the GD premium listing, do you mean forwarding the name to: godaddy.com/en/domains/searchresults.aspx?domainToCheck=DOMAIN.COM ?
Yes

•••
I have been grappling with this question for some time now.
The one thing I really don't like about redirecting to godaddy, is the other domains it suggests to buy underneath which surely will lose me sales I would have thought.

What do others think?

•••
I have sold names by forwarding them to GD in the past, but after discovering some compatibility issues with the link I mentioned, I don't use this method anymore.

For non-US based users, godaddy.com redirects to a country specific site using a sub-domain: au.godaddy.com for Australia, ph.godaddy.com for the Phillipines, se.godaddy.com for Sweden, and so on.

The GD link works fine for godaddy.com users, but when non-US based users visit that link, the whole string is force converted to suit the relevant subdomain, based on their IP address, and this sometimes break the link, and it does not resolve to a GD listing. Instead, it leads to this 404 page:
Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 11.42.57 PM.png

I discovered this after doing outreach, and the potential buyer responded by saying that the link I provided didn't work. I used VPN to access the link from different IP addresses to see if this was the issue, and a lot of the time, I got that 404 page, instead of the name showing as available for sale at GD (when I visited from various countries that have a region specific godaddy site). After discovering this issue I have stopped forwarding names to godaddy, since many non-US based users will get a 404 page instead of a GD listing page.

•••
I have sold names by forwarding them to GD in the past, but after discovering some compatibility issues with the link I mentioned, I don't use this method anymore.

For non-US based users, godaddy.com redirects to a country specific site using a sub-domain: au.godaddy.com for Australia, ph.godaddy.com for the Phillipines, se.godaddy.com for Sweden, and so on.

The GD link works fine for godaddy.com users, but when non-US based users visit that link, the whole string is force converted to suit the relevant subdomain, based on their IP address, and this sometimes break the link, and it does not resolve to a GD listing. Instead, it leads to this 404 page: Show attachment 35619

I discovered this after doing outreach, and the potential buyer responded by saying that the link I provided didn't work. I used VPN to access the link from different IP addresses to see if this was the issue, and a lot of the time, I got that 404 page, instead of the name showing as available for sale at GD (when I visited from various countries that have a region specific godaddy site). After discovering this issue I have stopped forwarding names to godaddy, since many non-US based users will get a 404 page instead of a GD listing page.
That is a major issue that I didn't know about. I will definitely not be using this method anymore. Thank you so much for that.

•••
I should add, for some countries, I got some domain names to resolve correctly, while others resolved to a 404 page, so it does not seem entirely dependent on location. When godaddy converts the godaddy.com/en/domains/searchresults.aspx?domainToCheck=DOMAIN.COM link to fit the sub-domain, it sometimes works, sometimes not (even though I visited from the same geo location). The issue seems to be with the way their system converts the string to fit the geo specific domain, sometimes they do it successfully, sometimes it breaks the link. Still not worth using this method since it may lead to a 404 page, and any potential type-in traffic buyers would move on instantly upon seeing a 404 page.

•••
After discovering this issue I have stopped forwarding names to godaddy, since many non-US based users will get a 404 page instead of a GD listing page.

Nice catch, thanks! You should report this issue to Godaddy, I do not like their commission no more than anybody else, but they are well known and buyers will sooner purchase on a familiar platform.

•••
I also noticed that godaddy auction links were going to a generic auction page with a list of auctions, not the auction that it was supposed to go to. I think it was corrected by going to USA-English at the bottom of the page, instead of Canada-English, none of my names forward to godaddy anymore

•••
Nice catch, thanks! You should report this issue to Godaddy, I do not like their commission no more than anybody else, but they are well known and buyers will sooner purchase on a familiar platform.
If they are serious about facilitating type-in and outreach sales of their GD auctions and GD premium listings, it would be better if they designed an actual domain sale landing page, like what they offer with Afternic.

Forwarding a name to godaddy.com/en/domains/searchresults.aspx?domainToCheck=DOMAIN.COM is a less than ideal/make-do solution to sell a name through GoDaddy, since they simply don't offer any better options to do this. Rather than fixing the issue of that that link sometimes not working, the real fix to this issue would be to provide domain sellers with a dedicated "domain for sale" landing page, like what namesilo is offering with their registrar marketplace, or like what they offer with Afternic.

•••
@Joe Styler

What are your thoughts on this? Is there a different option that we don't know about?

•••
a few months ago i fwd all my domains to GD
e.g. up.business

•••
Up.business does not load on iphone or pc

It does show as bin $89 in godaddy search, but again it is not loading thru godaddy to auction page

•••
I see it is resolving now, however on iphone Canada-English it goes to an auction listing page " most active"

•••
Up.business does not load on iphone or pc

It does show as bin $89 in godaddy search, but again it is not loading thru godaddy to auction page
thank you very much.

•••
I searched up.business on godaddy homepage, after switching to usa-english, says not available
will update avatar in a minute to show you

•••
•••
there is tons of extra info on gd lander.
links to other listings etc.. some buyers may get distracted.. get something else maybe even.
not cool... seems to me gd didn't design that page/link with you using it as main sale lander in mind!.:)

Last edited:
•••
Always own landing page!

•••
Most want to shy away from auction platforms especially when they see 69 days 20 hours left. They get confused thinking that the name can't be bought until that time has finished. That is why I always liked the Premium Listing because it's clear and to the point what they have to do to get the name. I used to forward to the auction platform when it was 10% and premium was 30% but when it became 20% commission across the board it made more sense to just do the premium listing.

•••
Seems like everything is working in efty's favor to take the business.
Godaddy/afternic have their issues like above + no easy option to direct straight to a for sale landing page with no ads without redirecting from bodis etc., as does DNS with the slow time of some brokers reacting/scripted emails and uniregistry signup page the first thing the lead sees etc.

The only thing I want to see efty improve on is landing page speed which takes around 6 seconds to load which is ridiculously slow. However, I have been told they around around 2 weeks till fixing this so that they load much faster. I'm going to give them a good go.

•••
well I think flippa offers decent lander page
sadly they did not evolve it enough yet to offer a simple redirect url to it.. so u gotta point all dns to them..

plus... its makeoffer only.. even if u have buynow set on listigns there.

but its nice otehrwise. and only 10% sale fee. beats GD and others by a lot.

bodis got nice redirect to simpel lander as most of you know... but I recently noticed that stupid image capture u have to go through before sending is bugged... takes 20 tries to complete (and no, my iq is not 5), and I've seen this happen before on bodis.. reported.. got fixed.. now back.. so I give up. I'm out of there. unstable. sale landrs are too important to be unstable.

goddady I agree is not meant as sale lander..tons of extra links.. days remaining to auction etc.. this will drive any enduser to complete confusion.

afternic is all bugged.. domains going into review for no reason and for months at a time... then lander does not.. well.. LAND. lol
so again.. unstable.

i'm just on a simple parking crew page with nice big orange banner on top to contact me.. it's not bad.. as long as the banner is clear.. not like on bodis. if your on a parkd page there. with banner. i think in termsm of banner visibile + parked page.. parking crew may well win them all.

hope tyhis helps anyone
ciao

Last edited:
•••
Always own landing page!
Any tools or scripts that can help with this? I have a lot of domains so a generic form that can be used across all of them (which also fills in the domain in question correctly) would be very useful

•••
Let me tell you why I like the redirect... Buyer pays and then you forget about the auction. Domain is pushed automatically, you get the money automatically, buyer is satisfied that he has nothing more to do, just pay and wait for your domain in your account. That's all. Buyers feel safe because Godaddy is managing the entire transaction and there are no more additional questions and issues.

•••
Any tools or scripts that can help with this? I have a lot of domains so a generic form that can be used across all of them (which also fills in the domain in question correctly) would be very useful

I'd suggest to buy a cheap web/WordPress hosting to host your one domain - must be the one you want to develop as domaining business website. Then buy a decent WordPress template and install it at your site.

That is all..! You can create unlimited lander pages for your all domains. Just copy the URL and redirect your domain to that page. Simple! You may also want to create home page to list all the domains at one place but it is optional.

It will cost you around $100 - $150 overall and you don't really need any technical knowledge. It looks costly but is worth doing especially if you want to involve in serious domaining business.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back