IT.COM

UDRP Lambo.com: Following UDRP loss, Respondent files lawsuit against Lamborghini

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Lamborghini S.p.A. won the UDRP it filed against the domain Lambo.com; now the Respondent and registrant of the domain is hitting back with a lawsuit.

The case between Richard Blair, plaintiff, and Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A, defendant, refers to the Lambo.com domain’s acquisition as a follow-up to adopting that moniker (Lambo) as a private alias for activities in various online communities...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@lambo.com can you provide an update?...how are things going with this?

•••
Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 4.41.40 PM.png

•••
I have checked wipo brand. No tm before 2000 so i guess you are the legit owner of the word LAMBO in dotcom

Last edited:
•••
If I'm not mistaken, the deadline for dispositive motions - a motion for summary judgment, for example - was set for April 16. The parties were due to submit a status report in March, but that appears to have been moved out to April 2. So, unless I missed a scheduling order in there somewhere, we are going to know pretty rapidly whether the parties have agreed to settle the suit.

I'm hoping our correspondent here holds out for the $50M. Anything else is surrender, amirite?

•••
The 'Lambo' brand is a brand name made from Lamb + o similarly the Savex brand name is made of Save + x combo, confusingly similar, maybe, but it does not mean that other people are not worthy to create a Lambo company or business.

The Lamborghini brand name originates from its founder, Ferruccio Lamborghini. Ferruccio Lamborghini was an Italian entrepreneur who founded Lamborghini Automobili in 1963. Before venturing into automobile manufacturing, Lamborghini was primarily known for his tractor manufacturing business, Lamborghini Trattori.
by: ChatGPT
So that Lambo is confusingly similar is just simple coincidence.
I was thinking Lamborghini is made out of Labor ghini which can be really associated with an bull, but not an Lamb.
No, a bull is not typically called "Lamb." "Lamb" typically refers to a young sheep, especially one that is less than one year old.
The bull featured in the Lamborghini logo doesn't have a specific name, but it's generally referred to as "The Lamborghini Bull" or simply "The Lamborghini Logo Bull." It's a stylized representation of a charging bull, symbolizing strength, power, and speed, which are characteristics associated with Lamborghini vehicles.
by: chatGPT
Does Lamb associates with their logo? Of course no!

P.s. Ferrucio is confusingly similar to Ferrari, why not UDRP them?

•••
...and a special guest appearance by Namepros itself:

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 6.41.51 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 6.42.04 PM.png

•••
There are 138 pages of exhibits, but I'm not paying 10 cents a page to download them all from Pacer and upload them to Courtlistener.

Exhibit B (imo) is interesting from a domainer POV. containing what looks to be a spreadsheet of Lambo's domain acquisitions and sales, such as:

-- SquareFoot.com purchased for $4,500 in 2013 and sold for $50,600 in 2016.

-- Sociology.com no purchase price, but sold for $50,000 in 2014

++ lots more! ...though the list appears incomplete, notably missing the acquisition of ASZ.com** among other entries.

**In 2018, @Acroplex wrote that ASZ.com has been stolen since 2007.
**In 2020, @JagG created a nP thread detailing his twitter spat with Lambo regarding ASZ.com

Attachments

• Exhibit B.pdf
    701.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
•••
if you downloaded those from PACER, you can do the world a favor and install the RECAP browser extension. RECAP is the mechanism that uploads docs to Courtlistener. It’s a crime that our court system charges a page fee for pdfs.

•••
Didn't think they would actually win.

•••
•••
I just find these things to be very unfortunate. Lambo is his genuine alias, acting in his own individual capacity, separate from the manufacturer. Maybe if he promoted cars / products, I'd think differently about it, but that isn't the case. In a hypothetical world (it has to be hypothetical, because they of course have their COM), if a guy with the alias "Dodge" happened to own the COM for his blog, running it in a small and personal way, the more known Dodge could slap a UDRP. I'm not qualified nor know the legal ins and outs, but for me it's a harsh judgment, and an exhibit of power

Last edited:
•••
Rolls (COM), as of today an electronics manufacturer. The use isn't touching the sides of the business on the other side (nor did Lambo)

•••
•••
Maybe I should expand on that answer a bit.

The full decision on the motion to dismiss and sanctions is here:

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/64919795/blair-v-automobili-lamborghini-spa/

First, it's important to realize that most civil lawsuits settle. In all likelihood, there will be no winner. If the parties reach a private agreement of some kind, they will then file a dismissal of the case with the court and we will typically not know on what terms that may have happened. So, the most likely outcome is that whomever ends up with the domain name will be whomever the parties agree to have it. The settlement may be confidential, so we will not know its terms. Typically, if the parties agree on a transfer of the domain name, then the trademark claimant will likely insist that the domain registrant discontinue any use of the claimed mark.

Secondly, trademark disputes tend to be fact-intensive. On top of that, the ACPA hinges on intent. That can make it difficult to prevail on summary judgment - i.e. a pre-trial judgment in which all of the parties agree on the facts and so the disagreement is essentially about how the law applies to them - because it can be difficult to prove intent directly. One of the functions of juries is to assess credibility of witnesses, so a lot can depend on how a witness comes across to a jury.

The arguments along the lines of "there's a bunch of businesses/people using that name" are helpful, but do not constitute an entire defense. There can be a dozen different owners of a trademark for "EXAMPLE", but if a jury can infer on the evidence that I had one of them in particular in mind, then it doesn't really matter how many others there are. In other words, if I had intended to register the domain name with an idea that I would profit from one of those dozen trademark owners in particular, then that trademark owner has a cybersquatting claim against me.

But the notion that the domain name has value because it is multiply used, a surname, etc., aren't really relevant to what the stated reasons were for acquiring the name anyway. The defendant (Lamborghini) already has a wealth of direct statements from the plaintiff to use as evidence, since the UDRP was self-defended. The UDRP was defended on the basis of "Lambo" being a name by which the domain registrant is commonly known. As indicated in the UDRP decision:

The Respondent is known as “Lambo” on the Internet and in real life and has a history of dealing in, and developing, domain names. The Respondent has an established online footprint as “Lambo” and is known in online communities and in a personal capacity as “Lambo”. Specifically, “Lambo” is of repute and regard in NamePros, which is a million member online community, as well as on other online platforms, including the Darwinia Network and Evolution Land. The Respondent is a “Lamb of outlier generic aptitude and intelligence” and this is apparent from a logo and iconography for his online footprint.

In support of his contention that he is commonly known by the disputed domain name, the Respondent refers to “unsolicited organic testimonials”. These take the form of two posts from participants to an online chat on the NamePros platform which assert, in response to what appears to be a comment in relation to the Complaint, that the Respondent has been known as “Lambo” on the forum, for some time.

[...]

The disputed domain name has not been registered or used in bad faith; ““Lambo” is my name and “I am Lambo”“. Whilst the Complainant has sought to draw inferences from the fact that the disputed domain name has been offered for sale on third party platforms at varying prices, prospective buyers would have been unable to acquire the disputed domain name at those prices. “The beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as the outlier Lamb par excellence, is all but priceless to me. And that is all that matters”.

It's not clear how much or exactly what evidence was used by the Respondent to establish the "commonly known as" defense. Two of the three panelists did not find anything that suggested the Respondent having been known as "Lambo" prior to acquiring the domain name:

The Respondent’s evidence, however, does not shed any light on the specific period of time for which the Respondent has referred to himself as “Lambo” on the forum and, in particular on whether he did so prior to his acquisition of the disputed domain name or only after he acquired it. This is an important consideration because if, as the Complainant alleges, the Respondent had the Complainant in mind as a prospective purchaser of the disputed domain name as at the date of his acquisition of it, then calling himself “Lambo” on the forum may have been part of a strategy intended to suggest an interest on his part in the disputed domain name in the event of challenge by the Complainant. Furthermore, the Respondent has not provided any evidence at all to support his contentions that he is known by the name “Lambo” both in other online communities and “in real life”.

The Respondent has asserted also that he is a “Lamb of outlier generic aptitude and intelligence”. What this means, is unclear but, whatever meaning is intended by this contention, it is a statement made without any evidential support.

The evidence to support the assertion that the Respondent is commonly known as Lambo is therefore confined to the Respondent having called himself “Lambo” for an unknown period of time on the NamePros online community, with nothing to suggest that he had been calling himself “Lambo” on the forum prior to his acquisition of the disputed domain name, nor, in fact, does the Respondent even specifically assert that this was the case.

Obviously, it's one thing to have a nickname and then set off to obtain the domain name corresponding to that nickname, and it is another thing to acquire a domain name and then claim it as a nickname. One could justify any domain name on latter basis merely by registering SamsungElectronics.tld and then saying "it's my nickname."

But, the case was self-defended by someone who apparently thinks quite highly of himself, and didn't realize that the panelists might have wanted to see more in the way of pre-domain-acquisition evidence of use of the domain name. The dissenting panelist believed the Respondent, not represented by a lawyer, should have been given the opportunity to clarify whether the nickname preceded the domain name or the other way around. The dissenting Panelist would have requested more evidence:

In support, the Respondent has tendered in evidence some testimonials from acquaintances to the effect that he was known as Lambo, which go some way, but only some way, to verifying his position and although they are limited in number, he has certified that his submission is “complete and accurate.” His evidence was not entirely clear, as it did not have the professional gloss that was apparent from the Complainant’s case that was clearly prepared by a lawyer, which puts the Respondent at an obvious disadvantage. It therefore should be remembered that the Respondent is not represented by counsel and is opposed by obviously significant professional representation. There is an obligation on panels under Rule 10 to “ensure” that the parties are treated with equality and that each party has a fair opportunity to present its case, and this must be particularly so when a party is not represented.

The result is that the evidence has been left in an unsatisfactory state which is prejudicial to the Respondent but could so easily be rectified. It also potentially runs foul of the duty of the panel to ensure that the parties are treated equally and that each party is given a fair opportunity to present its case. The Respondent seems to this panelist to have been denied that opportunity, which compromises his due process rights.

Had that happened, things may have proceeded differently. However, old Namepros posts aren't going to be of much use, since changing your username on Namepros will change your name on all of your old posts. You can see that in action here:

Show attachment 242865

So, while there is a "lambo.com" post from December 2017, you can see that where it is quoted later in the thread, the original username at that time is reflected in the quote block. Additionally, if you look at old threads on Archive.org, the then-current username is preserved:

Show attachment 242866

But, in any event the Complaint, which was written and filed by an attorney, seems to put that question to bed:

Show attachment 242867

It's hard to tell, absent access to the actual UDRP filings themselves, the centrality of the "commonly known as" defense in the UDRP proceeding. If the Response attempted to imply that the nickname existed before acquisition of the domain name, then that is something the defendant will use to undermine credibility.

One person you don't want to be in this thing is one of the folks who submitted "some testimonials from acquaintances," since their further testimony on how their testimonials came to be will be of interest.

In any event, the dissenting UDRP panelist's position was that the evidence was unclear, and insufficient to compel a result on behalf of the Complainant, who bears the burden of proving its case.

We in the peanut gallery have less access to any reliable evidence than the UDRP panel had. In a UDRP proceeding, there is no way to compel the production of evidence, but there certainly is in a court proceeding. So, however this thing moves forward, the parties and the court are ultimately going to have a lot more evidence on which to make decisions than the UDRP panel, or certainly anyone at Namepros.

To me, seems it would take some strong evidence to override:

1. lack of harm/abuse to Lamborghini from usage of the domain

2. domain has value to Lamborghini and others outside of any trademark rights

Any of the known evidence in this case override 1 and 2 for you? (nickname, domain price, etc.)?

•••
...proving once again that anyone with $300 can file a Section 1B (intent to use) trademark registration application. Freename has filed a bunch of these on "web3" top-level domains they operate. Those applications will fail for the same reasons as Unstoppable's dumb applications.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the parties have filed their joint case management report and proposed order...

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.azd.1307873/gov.uscourts.azd.1307873.36.0.pdf

I had not realized they agreed on a bench trial instead of a jury trial. One can imagine reasons why one or the other might be marginally favorable to either side.

The proposed scheduling order has discovery wrapped up by next March, dispositive motions (e.g. summary judgment) by mid-April, and ready for trial in June.
I didn't read all the background on Unstoppable but seems they ran into a problem because of the dot in ".unstoppable" and not replying back.: "Purchasers would perceive the applied-for mark as a top-level domain (TLD)because it is structured in the manner of a TLD. That is, purchasers are accustomed to the combination of a period followed immediately by a term as a top-level domain." and
"As a result, when used in connection with domain-name registration services, the term
.UNSTOPPABLE would be perceived by consumers as merely referring to a domain that can be
acquired through applicant's services, and not as an indication of source for a domain name registration
services."
It was stated that "the examining attorney has searched the USPTO database of registered and pending marks and has found no conflicting marks"

I saw they are giving it another go with the dot....again.
----------------------------

So for the above Lambo filing for domains/legal services and Unstoppable....they should have consulted you and dropped the "."

----------------------------

Was curious about: From the Lambo.com UDRP: "There is no conceivable plausible actual or contemplated use for the disputed domain name." Are you with Lamborghini on this?

•••
"There is no conceivable plausible actual or contemplated use for the disputed domain name." Are you with Lamborghini on this?

I guess it depends on who is doing the conceiving and contemplating. Apparently, they couldn't think of one.

•••
@lambo.com can you provide an update?...how are things going with this?
Hello fren.

All is well. The is the ext-ent (mind) of the update possible in the circumstances.

Best wishes,
Lambo

•••
lambo2 (1).jpg
Lambo will be launching Ceec soon.

•••
•••
a new Lambo possibility at uspto.gov:

Word Mark
LAMBO
Goods and Services
IC 045. US 100 101. G & S: Registration of domain names (legal services); consultancy relating to the registration of domain names; leasing of internet domain names; registration of domain names for identification of users on a global computer network (legal services); licensing of databases (legal services); licensing of trademarks (legal services); licensing of computer programs (legal services); licensing of computer software and industrial property rights (legal services); licensing of technology (legal services); consultancy relating to the licensing of computer software; trademark monitoring (legal services); licensing services
Mark Drawing Code
(0) UNKNOWN
Serial Number
Filing Date
August 7, 2023
Current Basis
1B
Original Filing Basis
1B
Owner
(APPLICANT) Freename AG LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY SWITZERLAND Samstagernstrasse 41 Wollerau SWITZERLAND 8832
Attorney of Record
Avraham S.Z. Cohn
Description of Mark
The color(s) Blue is/are claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of the word, "LAMBO", contained within a blue button, a period is before the "LAMBO".
Type of Mark
SERVICE MARK

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentview...=ABN20240207081000&linkId=1#docIndex=0&page=1

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 6.36.44 PM.png

•••
If I'm not mistaken, the deadline for dispositive motions - a motion for summary judgment, for example - was set for April 16. The parties were due to submit a status report in March, but that appears to have been moved out to April 2. So, unless I missed a scheduling order in there somewhere, we are going to know pretty rapidly whether the parties have agreed to settle the suit.

I'm hoping our correspondent here holds out for the $50M. Anything else is surrender, amirite?

The current asking price is 75 million.

•••
The current asking price is 75 million.
Thanks for that Karmaco. But we all know there is a big difference from the ask to the settle in most instances. The respondents are probably willing to throw in a good amount just to keep all the communications private.

Hope it is not a totally private settlement.. Is that possibly on the cards Mr Berryhill ? If so I could see them doubling-up to secure that outcome.

Anything near that ask is going to be seen as total fold by Lamborghini and their certainly not going to do that

Last edited:
•••
Hope it is not a totally private settlement.. Is that possibly on the cards Mr Berryhill

That is the most likely outcome of ALL civil litigation.

•••
Ah Shucks,
So all we will probably get is 'Agreement reached - Case settled' and Lambo moves to Belaire ;)
Or the Italian Riviera

Last edited:
•••
04/09/2024
51​
MINUTE ENTRY for proceedings held before Senior Judge Roslyn O Silver: Interim Status Conference held on 4/9/2024. Discussion is held as to the appropriateness of motions for summary judgment. Upon request of the parties, the dispositive motions deadline is extended to 5/2/2024.

TELEPHONIC APPEARANCES: Brett Lewis and Shuyu Wang for Plaintiff. Nicholas Nowak for Defendant. (Court Reporter Teri Veres.) Hearing held 11:03 AM to 11:59 AM. This is a TEXT ENTRY ONLY. There is no PDF document associated with this entry. (SLQ) (Entered: 04/09/2024)
04/11/2024
TRANSCRIPT REQUEST re Interim Status Conference by Richard Blair for proceedings held on April 9, 2024, Judge Roslyn O Silver hearing judge(s). (Lewis, Brett) (Entered: 04/11/2024)
04/22/2024
TRANSCRIPT REQUEST re Interim Status Conference by Automobili Lamborghini SpA for proceedings held on April 9, 2024, Judge Roslyn O Silver hearing judge(s). (Nowak, Nicholas) (Entered: 04/22/2024)
04/22/2024
TRANSCRIPT REQUEST re Interim Status Conference (Amended) by Automobili Lamborghini SpA for proceedings held on April 9, 2024, Judge Roslyn O Silver hearing judge(s). (Nowak, Nicholas) (Entered: 04/22/2024)

It must have been a fun status conference on April 9, since both parties have requested transcripts of it.

Summary judgment filing deadline is May 2.

Tempus Fugit

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back