IT.COM

Just curious...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How many domains would you keep if renewal cost was $100?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Less than 10 - most of mine is junk but i'll keep a handful of great ones I own

votes
    27.8%
  • Less than 100 but more than 10 for sure - I have a decent number of high-value names

votes
    44.4%
  • I'll keep most of mine and that's definitely more than 100 - I own tons of premium domains

votes
    11.1%
  • I'll drop all, quit business and will never vote for Obama again

votes
    16.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Imagine for a second that ICANN decides to change the game. No matter why, let it be US budget deficit or China bought ICANN, whatever..

Starting tomorrow all TLDs (including ccTLDs, all countries except North Korea followed the trend for some unknown but probably political reasons - we dont really care) will cost you $100 to reg or renew any name.

Effective immediately and you need to pay the difference for current year as well.

Assume no upfront cash needed - there's 0% loan facility in place so you may pay all fees at the end of your registration period, lets call it postpaid pricing plan.

You must drop names you dont want to pay for by tomorrow morning by visiting your registrar account and doing some clicking around voodoo as usual

I'm curious to know how many of your domains you would keep then?
How would $500 per name impact your answer ?

Important: developed/parked domains making $100 or more in a year do not count. Only bare old good plain domains with few occasional dollars in parking revs is what of interest :)

thanks in advance for your input

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have more than 100 names, but i couldn't afford to keep them if the reg. and renewal will at high of $100. In that case i will only keep 5-10 names which i treassured most, my twins twinsers, and my name .com. Then domaining will become a hobby and just a simple past time. I may relocate myself to a remote area where internet connection does not exist, where life is simpler. But the good thing is, one of my domain may become too popular (Ass-Holes (dot) com!!! Just Kidding.

•••
I have more than 100 names, but i couldn't afford to keep them if the reg. and renewal will at high of $100. In that case i will only keep 5-10 names

..that does not answer the question - if you could afford to keep all 100 would you still keep them assuming you behave rationally and only buy/reg domains for profit?

if you say yes that would mean your own assessment of your portfolio is quite high and you probably consider all your names premium class $x,xxx items... modern physics does not forbid that, no problem :)

•••
I think that it's hard enough to get an accurate assessment from a 3rd party looking in (everyone has a different evaluation method), let alone asking someone to appraise their own names (with sentimental value now in play - E.G. my names are better than everyone elses and I can't believe blah blah got offered xxx when mine only got offered x persona).

To put it in perspective, take a look at the appraisal forum. I'm sure you'll find an ample amount of threads where members disagreed with veterans on value for names that may be similar to: TwistedMetalsAreCold.info (veteran = Sorry $0 value, get your money back Vs. Poster: What? you're crazy man, this is worth at least $1k, learn how to appraise!).. lol :P - {Insert laughter here}

Just saying, It's hard to get any accurate statistics asking people to appraise their own domains. ;)

Eric Lyon

•••
Just saying, It's hard to get any accurate statistics asking people to appraise their own domains
Eric Lyon

that's the purpose - how high peope value their own domains, not how good they are in the eyes of estibots or other domainers or in terms of "real market value" (still not sure if it even exists)

•••
That's a tough one. I can remember being a teen and my brother wanting to register coupons.com and not being able to afford the $89 a year it cost back then.

It would certainly make for a very different domain market.

•••
please vote while passing by - it's free and only takes 1 click ($0.00 CPC thou)... and is anonymous!

•••
I'll just keep a handful of great ones. That would be less than 10 names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back