IT.COM

discuss Just bought warrenbuffet.org

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Anthonyb5615

Established Member
Impact
Just bought warrenbuffet.org for a good price!
I guess name has trade marked so probably couldn’t use it?
I’d like to make a blog with it?
Or sell but I guess only 1 person would be interested?
Only issue I noticed is google trends shows his name is declining in search results and I guess not everybody is familiar with him? Maybe with the wave of meme & more retail investors this is a good investment!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
•••
Most likely it's not trademarked, as you generally cannot trademark a personal name.
But it sounds like you've just acquired the name in "bad faith". What do you plan on doing with that name?

•••
•••
Most likely it's not trademarked, as you generally cannot trademark a personal name.
But it sounds like you've just acquired the name in "bad faith". What do you plan on doing with that name?
Intent to buy low sell high! Maybe make money through niche website but only thing that is bad my ability at building websites!

•••
the .com forwards to CNBC
Interesting. But Domain names are probably irrelevant to famous people with social media! But name is still cool!

•••
•••
•••
You're the only person that could answer that question. Do you think we're mind readers?
Yeah and as long as name is not trademarked I think I can!

•••
•••
•••
So you want to profit from a multi billionaire's name and you expect them to just go that's fine, use my name and my reputation that took years to build and have a free run at it......

Good luck with that.......

•••
So you want to profit from a multi billionaire's name and you expect them to just go that's fine, use my name and my reputation that took years to build and have a free run at it......

You can have a legitimate debate over popular personal names like "Bob Smith" which is clearly not targeting any specific one of the thousands of people named that, but with a name like "Warren Buffet" and full awareness of who that is, it is hard to not see it as bad faith.

In general, it is best to not mess around with famous people's names.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
You can have a legitimate debate over popular personal name say "Bob Smith" which is clearly not targeting any specific one of the thousands of people named that, but with a name like "Warren Buffet" and full awareness of who that is, it is hard to not see it as bad faith.

And, please try to be respectful of someone like Warren Buffet. Sure, a blog that is put up with no intention to make any profit would likely be fine.

•••
And, please try to be respectful of someone like Warren Buffet. Sure, a blog that is put up with no intention to make any profit would likely be fine.
If you are going to make a fan site, or even a critical site you would likely be alright.

However, most people buy domains to make money. When you try to make any income from that site, that is where the trouble can start.

Brad

•••
I think best practice for a non profit fan site would be getting permission from that person/entity
Not using copy right or Trademark material on the site
Not monetising it

The above is my opinion - could be wrong...

Then what is point? Are you hoping they will buy it at some point in the future.....Big If......seems to be a lot of time and energy in building something that generates no income and will probably have no resale value

Personally not worth the ball ache for me......would rather build a site that I can safely monetise and sell in the future with no if's and but's attached

•••
I think best practice for a non profit fan site would be getting permission from that person/entity
Excellent point. That would be gracious and acting in good faith--even if you are simply a great fan and want to share your admiration with the world.

Of course, if you wanted to have a cite that is for spoofing and otherwise critical, admittedly that would not involve permission. Making money off of it is a different matter, though.

•••
You can have a legitimate debate over popular personal names like "Bob Smith" which is clearly not targeting any specific one of the thousands of people named that, but with a name like "Warren Buffet" and full awareness of who that is, it is hard to not see it as bad faith.

Brad

Information is free but if people want to pay for it I wish them all the luck!

•••
Warren Buffet probably wouldn't mind you monetize his name as long as your articles are positive and objective.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back