IT.COM

Just Bought First Two Domain Names, Unsure of Next Step

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ryan M

Established Member
Impact
Hi,
So recently I purchased my first 2 domain names: cyberjobs.us and plaintiffs.us. Do you think these domains can be sold? I placed them on both Sedo and Afternic but have not yet recieved any offers. I'm not quite sure what direction to go into now. Please help!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,
So recently I purchased my first 2 domain names: cyberjobs.us and plaintiffs.us. Do you think these domains can be sold? I placed them on both Sedo and Afternic but have not yet recieved any offers. I'm not quite sure what direction to go into now. Please help!

Let drop. Worth nothing. Start again. Buy .coms

Thanks

•••
Hi Ryan, Welcome to NP and Domaining world.
Before you buy any domains read this forum as much as you can. Gain some knowledge on what's trending and see what people buy and sell. If you have enough budget then you can buy domains that are trending. If you have a very low budget then start with brandables, 2 word .com keywords and geo keyword domains. Try to sell cyberjobs.us or develop it..Good Luck..

•••
  1. Patience
  2. Patience, patience
  3. Many better .us domains are still looking for a buyer
Not saying these names will never sell, but .us isn't very much in demand and sales are unpredictable. In the meantime consider developing these domains.

•••
Hi Ryan, Welcome to NP and Domaining world.
Before you buy any domains read this forum as much as you can. Gain some knowledge on what's trending and see what people buy and sell. If you have enough budget then you can buy domains that are trending. If you have a very low budget then start with brandables, 2 word .com keywords and geo keyword domains. Try to sell cyberjobs.us or develop it..Good Luck..
Thank you I appreciate it... What are brandables and geokeyword domains? I appreciate the help tho I currently do not have a huge budget so I will try and sell the .us ones and start looking for .com's.

•••
...but have not yet recieved any offers...

sorry to hear you recieved no offers

I recieve offers more or less frequently not before 6 or 7 years have past ...
so get used to it

if you buy .com you may get offers faster ;)

•••
sorry to hear you recieved no offers

I recieve offers more or less frequently not before 6 or 7 years have past ...
so get used to it

if you buy .com you may get offers faster ;)
Thanks, what sites do you usually put them on to sell them?

•••
If you bear in mind that whisky.us sold for $211 recently on Godaddy, that puts the .us extension firmly in perspective. They can sell for good sums to end users but there is virtually no reseller market for them- so you basically have two lottery tickets there.

And I think you could have chosen better. us names to get lucky with.

•••
Thank you I appreciate it... What are brandables and geokeyword domains? I appreciate the help tho I currently do not have a huge budget so I will try and sell the .us ones and start looking for .com's.
Brandables are made up words for branding a business, product or anything..Check brandbucket.com , brandroot.com so that you will get an idea..There are also some domain name generators to help you..

Geo keyword domains are Country(or)city + keywords domain. For Example , TorontoDentist.com, CaliforniaAttorney.com ..you should dig a lot to register a good geo keyword domain..

Read some threads about the two domain types before you proceed.. Good Luck..

•••
A low budget is an impediment to immediate success. This can be mitigated by your skills as a salesman, developer, or whatever else. If you have talents that can add value, they will help you make a profit on a name that you purchased for cheap.

Basically it's hard to get good .com's without decent funds. There are plenty of names that can sell for $1k-$2k floating about but you have to be very patient for a sale and there will be competition in acquisition. Regular sales would mean holding a lot of these type of names, which sounds like it will be an issue with a limited budget.

Take it slow. There's a lot of garbage floating around in this industry and it's all painted gold.

•••
A low budget is an impediment to immediate success. This can be mitigated by your skills as a salesman, developer, or whatever else. If you have talents that can add value, they will help you make a profit on a name that you purchased for cheap.

Basically it's hard to get good .com's without decent funds. There are plenty of names that can sell for $1k-$2k floating about but you have to be very patient for a sale and there will be competition in acquisition. Regular sales would mean holding a lot of these type of names, which sounds like it will be an issue with a limited budget.

Take it slow. There's a lot of garbage floating around in this industry and it's all painted gold.
Thanks. I'm going to start buying more domains after I read more of the forum. Btw, what is an end user? I'm not competely sure what it is but I keep seeing it.

•••
Brandables are made up words for branding a business, product or anything..Check brandbucket.com , brandroot.com so that you will get an idea..There are also some domain name generators to help you..

Geo keyword domains are Country(or)city + keywords domain. For Example , TorontoDentist.com, CaliforniaAttorney.com ..you should dig a lot to register a good geo keyword domain..

Read some threads about the two domain types before you proceed.. Good Luck..
Thanks I appreciate it. I will absolutely keep reading the form. Thanks for posting those websites

•••
Btw, what is an end user? I'm not competely sure what it is but I keep seeing it.
basically a "end user" is the person that ends up buying and using the domain.
For example if you had Toronto Dentist (dot) com for sale, and I was a dentist in Toronto looking for a name for the site that I am planning on developing..there is a good chance that I would buy...

Speaking of GEO Keywords Domains
Here is a free tool..
https://www.namepros.com/threads/geo-keyword-domain-search.847788/

•••
I imagine you hand registered those domains, and that's fine, but look at it this way. When you hand register a domain, it's just a name, you could hand register hibbertybobbertyflump dot com which means nothing to nobody, unless you build on it. Basically any domain can potentially be worth anything, most domain buyers don't just look at the name, they look at the alexa page rank, back links, the age of the domain etc.

For example, before instagram and facebook, consider how many people would type those names into a google search or their address bar? now look at where they are in the consciousness of people and consider the fact these names are only popular because of the content behind the name, these are 'brandable' domains.

To sell a domain based ONLY on the name, it must be very targeted and also targeted towards a popular and fluid market, these tend to be one word dot coms for the most successful sales, but to invest in that part of domaining you need thousands of pounds, say 10-30k to get started.

The other kind of domains that are targeted are clever keyword rich two word dot coms (easier to hand register) or geo domains as mentioned previously, city or country name + profession can yield good results for people (so i've heard) the hard part is convincing the end user to part with their cash and for that you must be a salesman making phone calls, sending e-mails and networking.

Another method is domain parking or building a blog or mini site relevant to the subject of your domain title, the aim here is to build traffic to the site, generate revenue from PPC advertising, so even if after a year it doesn't sell, you may have just about made back the initial investment you made in hand registering the domain. This also helps to give other domainers a good idea for the potential of the web site, you are essentially 'proving' the concept.

Everyone thinks they have chosen the best domain names, but the ones who sell them and make a living make efforts to prove their concepts.

I haven't mentioned the LL, LLL, LLLL, domains because these tend to be for those who have deeper pockets, and with that carries a greater risk. You could buy a LLL for £5k and never sell it again for more than £5k, you may end up selling it for £4k.

•••
I imagine you hand registered those domains, and that's fine, but look at it this way. When you hand register a domain, it's just a name, you could hand register hibbertybobbertyflump dot com which means nothing to nobody, unless you build on it. Basically any domain can potentially be worth anything, most domain buyers don't just look at the name, they look at the alexa page rank, back links, the age of the domain etc.

For example, before instagram and facebook, consider how many people would type those names into a google search or their address bar? now look at where they are in the consciousness of people and consider the fact these names are only popular because of the content behind the name, these are 'brandable' domains.

To sell a domain based ONLY on the name, it must be very targeted and also targeted towards a popular and fluid market, these tend to be one word dot coms for the most successful sales, but to invest in that part of domaining you need thousands of pounds, say 10-30k to get started.

The other kind of domains that are targeted are clever keyword rich two word dot coms (easier to hand register) or geo domains as mentioned previously, city or country name + profession can yield good results for people (so i've heard) the hard part is convincing the end user to part with their cash and for that you must be a salesman making phone calls, sending e-mails and networking.

Another method is domain parking or building a blog or mini site relevant to the subject of your domain title, the aim here is to build traffic to the site, generate revenue from PPC advertising, so even if after a year it doesn't sell, you may have just about made back the initial investment you made in hand registering the domain. This also helps to give other domainers a good idea for the potential of the web site, you are essentially 'proving' the concept.

Everyone thinks they have chosen the best domain names, but the ones who sell them and make a living make efforts to prove their concepts.

I haven't mentioned the LL, LLL, LLLL, domains because these tend to be for those who have deeper pockets, and with that carries a greater risk. You could buy a LLL for £5k and never sell it again for more than £5k, you may end up selling it for £4k.

Wow, thank you I appreciate it. Your comment was extremely informative and you helped me learn a lot.

•••
Ryan, like others have already stated you're going to have a tough time trying to sell these domains as .us just isn't doing much right now and these keywords aren't going to appeal to many with this extension. My best advice would be to read and learn as much as you can on NamePros as there is literally months of reading and learning here. You will save yourself a boatload of money and keep yourself from registering names that won't sell if you study and learn as much as you can before you start registering or buying domains.

You may have already checked it out, but here's some helpful discussions to read:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/popular-beginner-discussions.844937/

Also you can check out NameBio to see past sales and get an idea of what sells and for how much. Keep learning as much as you can before jumping in and buying domains. That's a mistake many people make is they get excited and they register a bunch of mediocre names that they can't sell. When you go to register or buy domains put yourself in the buyer's shoes and think to yourself whether you would pay money to buy that domain yourself. I always buy or register domains with the mindset of "Who can I sell this domain to for a profit and who's going to be interested in it?" If you can't identify any end users then it's not worth buying or registering.

For example, would you buy Cyberjobs.us from someone for $500? I think it's safe to say no, so I wouldn't register or buy it myself as most likely no one else would either. Plaintiffs.us is much better than your cyberjobs.us domain, but may be tough selling with that extension. You could try putting it on marketplaces (Flippa, etc.) and try contacting a few lawyers to see if they're interested. You wouldn't get premium money for it but would get more than your registration fees if you can get an attorney to bite on it.

Good luck and keep learning! :)

All the best,
Chris

•••
•••
First of all, welcome to the Forum. Everything important has already been said, if its not to late try to get a refund and start a lot of reading before your take a step on your next purchases ..

•••
First of all, welcome to the Forum. Everything important has already been said, if its not to late try to get a refund and start a lot of reading before your take a step on your next purchases ..
How do I go about getting a refund?

•••
•••
Contact the support via mail or phone, or even live chat if there is some.
Thank you I will try to do that in the upcoming days.

•••
If you are just starting out I would stick with .com domains and build your portfolio. Country code domains have a smaller chance of selling than the king extension has. To be honest of the 750+ domains I have sold only about 1% were cctlds. The majority have been .com with a couple dozen .net domains that were one word category defining names.

Don't go all reg happy either, do your research before purchasing a name. Most of my acquisitions are made in expiring auctions where I grab names for $15-$1500 each. Check out dynadot expired name auctions, usually some good buys, if multiple people are bidding on a name and you like the name its prob worth trying to get. Godaddy expiring auctions and close outs are good too.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back