Dynadot

advice Just a warning for high price domain aquisitions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
About once a month I will request to buy some expensive domains. Most replies are with garbage names even though I clearly set the criteria. I do get some great name offers but I don't fall in love right away.
I always Google the name and ask trusted resellers and brokers what they think.
Google may seem logical but I don't think everyone does this. It shows how many times the name has exchanged hands, how recent and how many times its been for sale and not sold!
Also, brokers tell me if someone has shopped the name and if they turned it down and why.
Research my friends - don't get stung.
I almost bought 2 names in the last few days only to find red flags from research. Not that the names were stolen but:
  • Price way to high for ROI
  • Tried brokering and turned down for various reasons (multiple brokers)
  • Hyped a name they cant get rid of
  • Sounds like a great name but the market is limited
  • COULD make money in the future.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
" always Google the name and ask trusted resellers and brokers what they think.
Google may seem logical but I don't think everyone does this. It shows how many times the name has exchanged hands, how recent and how many times its been for sale and not sold!"

Never knew this! How? Pm me. Thanks for the info.

•••
i think:

how can a high price acquisition, be too high, for roi?

cuz....it's not an acquisition, if you don't buy it.

when you say >
Tried brokering and turned down for various reasons (multiple brokers)

did you try to buy thru a borker or you tried to borker the names that people were trying to sell you thru your "request"?

anyway, maybe try just looking for names that fit your criteria thru whois, then make a list and contact owners directly, but only after you've done your bg check.

instead of looking at expensive names, look for quality domain names.
then....
decide if the expense, is worth the quality.

imo.....

•••
i think:

when you say >

did you try to buy thru a borker or you tried to borker the names that people were trying to sell you thru your "request"?

anyway, maybe try just looking for names that fit your criteria thru whois, then make a list and contact owners directly, but only after you've done your bg check.

instead of looking at expensive names, look for quality domain names.
then....
decide if the expense, is worth the quality.

imo.....
So - semantics - pick apart words and meanings to the basic core - this is why some people don't post on this site anymore. People who have amazing experience and knowledge. Sure, you can find something wrong with any post unless it was written by a scholar. Lighten up - don't take things so literal - I think you get the meaning. I have an MBA and I make mistakes, my apologies.

•••
If you Google a name - lets say tents.org (mine) - you will not only see other sites on tents (potential customers?) you will also see I have had it listed in Flippa. Why didn't it sell on Flippa? Why am I asking you for more than I did on Flippa? If you go to the second page it will show you that name and others I tried selling on this site. Google shows lots of stuff.

•••
Be friends with brokers - they hold the key to lots of information that is not for public consumption.

•••
So - semantics - pick apart words and meanings to the basic core - this is why some people don't post on this site anymore. People who have amazing experience and knowledge. Sure, you can find something wrong with any post unless it was written by a scholar. Lighten up - don't take things so literal - I think you get the meaning. I have an MBA and I make mistakes, my apologies.

so in other words, you have no words of explanation.

if you trying to covey a message or experience and questions are raised from what you posted and you can't, or feel you're being insulted because you were questioned.....then how can you back up or validate or substantiate what you're trying to say.

domaining is about semantics, it's the littlest things that you think somebody may overlook, that will make or break a good name, a point or a service.

imo....

•••
so in other words, you have no words of explanation.

if you trying to covey a message or experience and questions are raised from what you posted and you can't, or feel you're being insulted because you were questioned.....then how can you back up or validate or substantiate what you're trying to say.

domaining is about semantics, it's the littlest things that you think somebody may overlook, that will make or break a good name, a point or a service.

imo....

I'm not sure what you find so confusing?

When he said:

"I almost bought 2 names in the last few days only to find red flags from research. Not that the names were stolen but:.." Following that he gives his 5 bullet points...

One of the points was "Tried brokering and turned down for various reasons (multiple brokers)"

It was rather obvious to me that he was referring to the current domain owner trying to get the domain sold via multiple brokers but they all turned him/her down, for various reasons.Which was a red flag for him NOT to buy the domain...

Last edited:
•••
Sometimes I am just trying to help people from my experiences but I am getting to the point where I am afraid to post anything.

•••
Sometimes I am just trying to help people from my experiences but I am getting to the point where I am afraid to post anything.

Don't be afraid of other people's opinions.

Share your viewpoints, especially if you feel that it could be of benefit to the majority, discard the opinions and negativity of the minority or handful of people who are so caught up with their own insecurities that they feel the need to put down others.

•••
Don't be afraid of other people's opinions.

Share your viewpoints, especially if you feel that it could be of benefit to the majority, discard the opinions and negativity of the minority or handful of people who are so caught up with their own insecurities that they feel the need to put down others.

wasn't a put down, i was asking for clarity

you saw one thing and i saw differently

imo...

•••
So in other words, before you spend money, do some due-diligence.

This should be a fundamental principle of investing in ANYTHING, and you shared some great tips and discoveries. Thank you for that.

•••
wasn't a put down, i was asking for clarity

you saw one thing and i saw differently

imo...

Wasn't a statement directly aimed at you, was a blanket statement at people who feel the need to constantly put down other peoples opinions...

•••
•••
I think you should buy all my domains at 100x what I bought them for .. they're that amazing!

I agree with everyone :)

ok great .. send me your escrow info! ;)

•••
Seriously though .. there are A LOT of people here with really bad domains (I even have one or two or more .. lol).

Unfortunately though .. some people genuinely aren't aware how bad their domains are .. that very likely explains why you get a bunch of crap submissions.

With your purchasing power you obviously not only have a much higher standard .. but more importantly .. from that position and experience you've learned what makes for "high standard".

As a big buyer you have insights that most sellers don't have access to.

You also have the advantage of being buddy buddy with domain brokers enough to ask for their opinion on buys .. most domainers don't have that advantage.

Don't be bothered by people who disagree with you .. if you have an opinion or important point to share then do so .. at the end of the day we'll all be richer for it. The information might not sink in for everyone .. but it certainly can make a difference for some. And even for those who don't get it right away ... if 10 other people eventually say similar things as you .. then there's a chance it may sink in .. but if noone ever says anything .. then there is no chance at all.

*Goes to look at @uglydork's buy requests* .. lol

•••

I post so much stuff
that others won't like to read

you can't beat me
so go ahead and post !

•••
Seriously though .. there are A LOT of people here with really bad domains (I even have one or two or more .. lol).

Unfortunately though .. some people genuinely aren't aware how bad their domains are .. that very likely explains why you get a bunch of crap submissions.

With your purchasing power you obviously not only have a much higher standard .. but more importantly .. from that position and experience you've learned what makes for "high standard".

As a big buyer you have insights that most sellers don't have access to.

You also have the advantage of being buddy buddy with domain brokers enough to ask for their opinion on buys .. most domainers don't have that advantage.

Don't be bothered by people who disagree with you .. if you have an opinion or important point to share then do so .. at the end of the day we'll all be richer for it. The information might not sink in for everyone .. but it certainly can make a difference for some. And even for those who don't get it right away ... if 10 other people eventually say similar things as you .. then there's a chance it may sink in .. but if noone ever says anything .. then there is no chance at all.

*Goes to look at @uglydork's buy requests* .. lol
I'm not a huge dealer or buyer with tons of connections. I ask questions and talk to people.

•••

Sound advice.

•••
How do you determine roi on a name that you don't plan to develop?

•••

imo.....

How do you determine roi on a name that you don't plan to develop?

@Kuffy

that's a good question!

kind of in same vein, as the premise i put forth above.

but,here's example to your question

if i buy a domain, and park it and the first day it earns any $, then that's when you start determining how long it will take to get full roi, before it becomes a profitable domain.

sometimes you'll see request to buy domains with traffic and buyer offers to pay a "multiple of up to 24 months revenue"

well, the are looking to recoup their investment in any name they purchase, at that "multiple or less".
if all stats for that name are true and hold consistently, then buyer will be satisfied.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Well here is a practical example

I've just registered GreensWin.com which I found on expired domains. They say it has a click value of $2 and 2.9k searches per month on Google. I can't see how a click from there can be worth $2, so I have problems in trying to estimate a roi, especially as I'm not sure which products one should promote.

btw - I reg'd it because I think the latest UK ruling that diesel cars must be scrapped is both an economic, and an environmental disaster.

•••
who is "they" on expired domains?

and did you check what "they" said, on google to verify

also, searches on google don't equal actual traffic, so how could you estimate a roi?

imo...

•••
About once a month I will request to buy some expensive domains. Most replies are with garbage names even though I clearly set the criteria. I do get some great name offers but I don't fall in love right away.
I always Google the name and ask trusted resellers and brokers what they think.
Google may seem logical but I don't think everyone does this. It shows how many times the name has exchanged hands, how recent and how many times its been for sale and not sold!
Also, brokers tell me if someone has shopped the name and if they turned it down and why.
Research my friends - don't get stung.
I almost bought 2 names in the last few days only to find red flags from research. Not that the names were stolen but:
  • Price way to high for ROI
  • Tried brokering and turned down for various reasons (multiple brokers)
  • Hyped a name they cant get rid of
  • Sounds like a great name but the market is limited
  • COULD make money in the future.

What do you expect? in your case its karma. Your always lowballing and preying on the desperate. You expect a good deal to land in your lap. Sorry buddy. You need to work hard for them and find them on your own. Offering 30% of what a domain costs in the market isnt going to get you no where on here.

Last edited:
•••
Be friends with brokers - they hold the key to lots of information that is not for public consumption.

I would be weary of this. Brokers are buyers/sellers as well and they might have a hidden agenda as well. If I find a name that I am thinking of buying I surely wouldn't tell a broker about it...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back