IT.COM

discuss Joining words like in, 4, and in domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
A lot of new investors obviously can't find a direct 2 word domain name. So what they do right now and I see this quite often is using joining words:

in
for
a
Hyphen
And
Typo names

I personally find them pretty bad and mostly useless, but when you go to Namebio and check for words like "and" and "in" and choose the position as "In the middle", you would see a number of sales pop-up to yoru surprise.
For example, for the "in" case, I see UnitedInLove sold for $2000+.
Just wanted to understand where such a joining word makes sense and where it doesn't. While I do understand that hyphen and typo are a different league altogether, if you can shed some light on the joining words, that would be great to understand the psychology of the buyer when purchasing such names.

Attaching two list of names with "and", "in" and "4" are used in the middle of the words and were sold.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 8.16.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 8.16.22 PM.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 8.16.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 8.16.52 PM.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 8.20.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 8.20.03 PM.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 68
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They aren't that many, statistically. If you spend a lot of time researching past domain sales you'll know this.

The end result is that you'll get a lot of hit and miss so overall you will get a much smaller % sale and you can't break even on your portfolio cause you won't be on that 1% or 2% average sales ratio but far lower.

So I would not recommend investing in such domains at all, except in those which are a well know phrase (e.g. "cash and carry").

•••
Those may work if they are popular sayings or phrases like bread and butter, bring it on, live and direct etc

Anything else might be hit or miss.

•••
I've several domains with "4" and "and" keywords in the middle. Can't recall of selling any yet. But I still like to invest in such type of domains.

•••
I've several domains with "4" and "and" keywords in the middle. Can't recall of selling any yet. But I still like to invest in such type of domains.

"And" is slightly better than the others, more natural.

•••
"And" is slightly better than the others, more natural.

Right. Mainly due to "4" has variant of "for" which can be confusing unless you own both versions.

•••
They aren't that many, statistically. If you spend a lot of time researching past domain sales you'll know this.

The end result is that you'll get a lot of hit and miss so overall you will get a much smaller % sale and you can't break even on your portfolio cause you won't be on that 1% or 2% average sales ratio but far lower.

So I would not recommend investing in such domains at all, except in those which are a well know phrase (e.g. "cash and carry").
Agreed! But the fact that people register and sell and at huge prices makes me question the first thing as, who prices their domains such high even after knowing that name is not so good!
I am just thinking at the guts of the seller to ask for good prices on such names.

But if you can't sell it, then why would you invest and why do you see the value here?

•••
But if you can't sell it, then why would you invest and why do you see the value here?

Good question and the answer is simple.

You need to invest first before you get the reward. I'm planting the seeds by buying domains and building a decent size of portfolio with decent quality of domains. Things are moving greatly at my end and I'm not worried if any particular niche or type of domains are not selling. I know the potential of those domains and can wait for years before the right buyer comes in.

•••
Of course, there are clear known expressions that include those and make them valuable, just like any popular short expression. I see in the neighborhood a tutoring center called "Best in Class" and I don't even think they own the .com (Still checked, and yes, the name is owned by another company that sells test guides), as it is that good.

I have owned for many years "in reviews", as a development idea for reviews, like books in reviews, products in reviews, destinations in reviews etc.

I have also few and names. As @AbdulBasit.com I haven't sold any, but still believe in those to be strong brands that I am fine keeping. Also, the sample size is still small to draw conclusions. I have probably not more than 10 names fitting the category.

•••
I am just thinking at the guts of the seller to ask for good prices on such names.

Seller with guts = good domain investor

•••
Buyers can be influenced.

Often I don't know what a price is exactly, for a particular domain. If I price it too high, it doesn't sell. If too low, surprisingly, the same happens = they tend NOT to sell that well. At least in my experience this is valid. Surprise, huh?

This just occurred today. I had some silence lately, so I updated a few prices. Just one hour later, domain sold - for precisely the price it should have been for all this time (now I was clear on what it should be).

Last edited:
•••
I have a few and but do not consider them to be of any real potential. Better of pooling the money would waste on them and get something you have faith in rather than question a list. This all takes time. The thing with hypens they behave like gtlds with estibot so the keywords may not be as powerful as indicated with actual searches and trying to index it. Typos get corrected so unless they type it out wrong with dot com in end they don't work too well in 2020. End user problems are generally unknown till try.

Last edited:
•••
Good question and the answer is simple.

You need to invest first before you get the reward. I'm planting the seeds by buying domains and building a decent size of portfolio with decent quality of domains. Things are moving greatly at my end and I'm not worried if any particular niche or type of domains are not selling. I know the potential of those domains and can wait for years before the right buyer comes in.
very well! But you would say, it is still a risky invetsment for someone looking for a 1-2 year hold?

Buyers can be influenced.

Often I don't know what a price is exactly, for a particular domain. If I price it too high, it doesn't sell. If too low, surprisingly, the same happens = they tend NOT to sell that well. At least in my experience this is valid. Surprise, huh?

This just occurred today. I had some silence lately, so I updated a few prices. Just one hour later, domain sold - for precisely the price it should have been for all this time (now I was clear on what it should be).
Again, isn't it a small sample space?

I have a few and but do not consider them to be of any real potential. Better of pooling the money would waste on them and get something you have faith in rather than question a list. This all takes time. The thing with hypens they behave like gtlds with estibot so the keywords may not be as powerful as indicated with actual searches and trying to index it. Typos get corrected so unless they type it out wrong with dot com in end they don't work too well in 2020. End user problems are generally unknown till try.
Absolutely! The sales data so far says the same. And there is a reason that the database is small or the price is low, I believe.

•••
very well! But you would say, it is still a risky invetsment for someone looking for a 1-2 year hold?

An investor should keep in mind 5 years while buying any domain. At least that investor who's willing to sell for decent profit and targeting endusers only.

Also per my experience, male names tend to sell quicker than female names.

•••
An investor should keep in mind 5 years while buying any domain. At least that investor who's willing to sell for decent profit and targeting endusers only.

Also per my experience, male names tend to sell quicker than female names.
Thanks Abdul! I gotta read your blog more.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back