IT.COM

Jan 3rd 2008 DomainTools.com Online Auction Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DotWeekly

DotWeekly FounderVIP Member
DotWeekly Staff
Impact
Ok, we finally have official word from DomainTools.com about the online auction they will be having.

Date: Jan. 3, 2008
Place: DomainTools.com (Online Only)
Time: 11:00 am PT

You can submit up to 20 domains total. For more info, please see the following link.

http://www.domaintools.com/live-auction/ (you must be logged in)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
drdragon said:
As a new domainer, I consider bidding in this auction and I am wondering which ones would bring in type-in traffic. Could experienced domainers share any insights? As some big players might be away for vacation; maybe I can grab some revenue generating domains . I will appreciate any analysis.
:rolleyes: :|

•••
I'm sorry, but this auction is a joke - the prices are way off base, and the name selection is weak at best.

•••
Keynes said:
I'm sorry, but this auction is a joke - the prices are way off base, and the name selection is weak at best.
You don't have to be sorry :)

•••
drdragon said:
As a new domainer, I consider bidding in this auction and I am wondering which ones would bring in type-in traffic. Could experienced domainers share any insights? As some big players might be away for vacation; maybe I can grab some revenue generating domains. I will appreciate any analysis.

I don't recommend going to a live auction if you have no experience. Read this forum, read namebio.com, dnjournal.com, even namenewbie.com, then read again this forum, and you will have plenty of occasion to bid on domains for less on expired domain auctions, or even on sedo or afternic. Live auctions are not a buyers market.

•••
Which DomainTools Jan 3 auction domains are good. An amateur's perspective.

I personally try to analyze the domains and learn this business. We can easily paint the auction as a joke considering the problems about domain name selection process, terms, short notice, etc. Yes, even though I see many of the domains do not make sense, are extremely expensive; some seem to be not bad. After all, I try to pick the good ones and turn it into an opportunity as many people do not seem to be very excited.

I recently have been reading a lot about domaining and experimenting with a few domains. I was expecting to see some real analysis but nobody seems to really discuss the domains itself.

Anybody want to share ideas/experience about the following domain names and my analysis as an *amateur*:

1. test.net: "test" seems to be a very highly searched phrase. test.com is already developed. If 1/10 rule is still reasonable, test.com would easily be more than 250K, therefore, the reserve looks reasonable to me.
2. jewel.mobi: Given the recent traction of .mobi domains, this premium term also has a very low reserve.
3. ForeclosureHelp.us: Not sure about the .us, but considering the recent foreclosure issues in the industry, the term has a very high CPC value. Looks reasonable to me.
4. hud.us: Another .us, but short. I find it pricey but would love to hear opinions.
5. BankruptcyAttorney.org: ".org" might not be very much appealing to many, but the term is very nice. The name is ideal for unbiased informational site with high CPC. I found the price reasonable, not expensive not cheap.
6. ElectronicPestControl.com: Among the few premium ".com"'s in my opinion. The issue is that it consists of three words.
7. WireRack.com: Another premium domain ".com". Likely to receive type-in as it is short, and with high CPC can generate some residual income. Not sure if this is why the reserve is 7K.
8. ContextualAdvertising.com: I like this one a lot. But price is very high compare to wirerack.com. If you want to develop: yes, but plan to park, not sure. For investment purposes, as "Contextual Advertising" is a big business sector: maybe. I personally do not have the resources to afford this.
9. DataSynchronization.com: Very high CPC, not much searched compared to other premium .com's. 5K seems a little pricey to me, but I am not very experienced.
10. HivVirus.com: With a 2K reserve looks appealing.
11. NationalIdCard.com: Not sure about this. But pricewise looks very reasonable.
12. HealthyHeart.com: This is one the jokes in my opinion. If this one sells for 225K and "NationalIdCard.com", "HivVirus.com", "DataSynchronization.com", "WireRack.com" and "ElectronicPestControl.com" sells at their reserves, then, I will probably spend many years to understand this business. Rich Schwartz and some others talk and write about value investing, or type-in traffic, multiples of revenue, etc, I do not know the revenue multiple of the reserve of this domain, maybe x1000?
13. TransferMoneyOnline.com: If this was not three words I would say 3.4K is reasonable, but not sure? How much type-in would this domain get?
14. GeothermalHeat.com: $7500 seems high. What do you think?
15. EastTimor.org: I think it has very reasonable reserve.
16. InfantCare.com: Another "joke". x1000 revenue multiple?
17. SecuritySurveillanceSystems.com: Very long, but not high or low reserve in my opinion.

Well; above are the ones I found worth any discussion. Few other brandable domains are out there, but either very unlikely to generate any parking revenue, or has "unreasonable" or using recently favorite term: has "joke" reserve prices.

I wish I could get feedback from the seasoned domainers in this forum.

Thanks!!!

•••
Thanks drdragon...

drdragon said:
I recently have been reading a lot about domaining and experimenting with a few domains. I was expecting to see some real analysis but nobody seems to really discuss the domains itself.

Hi drdragon,

Thanks for YOUR insightful post about some of the DT auction names! I had posted a couple of times commenting on some of the names myself (such as the typo dot net, the single address zip code domain etc). I think the seeming lack of any analytical discussion about the DT domain names is a feeling of "we've been down this road before..".

The previous (and first) DT auction was conducted as part of the Roundtable conference. Although DT certainly set the bar high for the technological aspects of that auction, the overall results were basically quite disappointing. After much hype about the selection process and preliminary lists, the final selection there also contained many "huh?" moments. This was reflected in the final results which contained many Passes (unsold names).

We had all hoped that the selection criteria would have been refined somewhat with this second auction. Although there are a few good names (as an ex-Brit I love "dishthedirt.com"), I do expect to see a significant number of Passes in this auction too.

Finally, I can't figure out why DT picked Jan 3rd. Most UK and European businesses are closed until Jan 7th for the Christmas and New Year break. Considering the low state of the US dollar, many bargain hunters from these markets might have been expected to bid.

Oh, well I will still certainly be glued to my computer on Jan 3rd watching the results...

•••
I usually look at the name and think .. hmm how can i make money with this.
some things i'm not sure how I would monetize it - as I don't strictly get domains to park - I do actually develop some. Nearly every domain I've bought I've had some 'brilliant' idea for.
But my lack of vision may be someone else's jackpot.
If we all liked the same thing - where would we be. :)

•••
Parking vs development

I recently bought a few domains and developed them. I have been watching them climb up in the search engines and see increased traffic. However, what I learned in the past few months is that one's portfolio can grow large very fast. Development takes time/effort and money. Also, many domain names become expensive to renew. Therefore, I started to understand why domain names with type-in traffic are really valuable. Until I start developing them they will keep paying off the money I spent for them. If a domain does not have type-in traffic there is also not much demand. Once in a while someone can come and give a good offer to a domain name without type-in traffic, but those cases are really rare. If, on the other hand, a domain name is already generating parking dollars, then, not only it is easy to flip it in case you need some cash, but also, such domains are easier to brand if you develop down the road. But truly generic domain names with type-in traffic are very rare. In auctions like DT, as I summarized earlier, only few of them are likely to generate parking money and are really valuable. Well, these are my thoughts though as I shared earlier, I still have a lot to learn.

In order to stay on the safe side, if I buy something I really make sure that it has high CPC, not very long and high overture/wordtracker search numbers.

•••
If you have a developed domain that is bringing revenue from clicks - rev share - google ads etc - it is even more valuable than a strictly parked domain in mho

But I didn't get in the domain business to buy and sell domains. When I started buying domains in 97 - I wanted them so I could make websites. My portfolio is a result of that and because of listening to the Godfather's (Rick Schwatz's) advice back in 1998 and 1999. I wish I'd listened a little bit better ;)

•••
Gramma You know that Grampa.com is on auction right? Grandpa.com sold for $55k at the last auction.

•••
-OutlawBiker- said:
Gramma You know that Grampa.com is on auction right? Grandpa.com sold for $55k at the last auction.

OB! I saw that! Will be curious to see what someone will do with it. What would you do with it?

I sold grammas(.)com in October $XXXXX I had it built up over the past 10 years - lots of type in and bookmark traffic - One of my biggest mistakes was selling omageil(.)com for $2500 about 5 years ago. ugh estibot it.
I registered a bunch of granny, gramma, and grandma domains through the years. Funny how you get stuck on something huh :)

•••
TheLegendaryJP said:
Just face facts, that list apart from a few acronyms and some low $XXXX combos ... it sucks and I wonder why Jay is even doing it.

:)

•••
From my understanding, Pre-Bidding starts today. Does anybody have a link to the actual auction page?

•••
•••
I had to laugh when i saw this one listed BoiseHousing.com. Dont get me wrong it is a good domain and i actually live in boise, idaho. Honestly though how many domainers or even people actually know where boise even is?

•••
eg.domains said:
I think this is the link : http://www.domaintools.com/live-auction/live

But no updates yet.
Thank you EG! I will keep an eye on that link. It sure would be nice if Jay would put something on the DomainTools homepage.... Some bidders need to sign up and do all that stuff yet.

•••
Tivo said:
I had to laugh when i saw this one listed BoiseHousing.com. Dont get me wrong it is a good domain and i actually live in boise, idaho. Honestly though how many domainers or even people actually know where boise even is?

:hi:

I don't so much have a problem with the "Boise" part ... as I do with "Housing", insofar as placing a "premium" valuation with that specific term, IMHO. "Homes", "Real Estate", "Properties", "Condos", and "MLS" etc. would be more premium alternatives, in my view. :gl:

PS. Any updates thus far ... here on Monday, 12/31? :blink: :talk:

Happy New Year! :santa:
-Jeff B-)

•••
It seems the auction is getting very close for a final list to not be distributed/promoted.

•••
drdragon said:

Anybody want to share ideas/experience about the following domain names and my analysis as an *amateur*:

4. hud.us: Another .us, but short. I find it pricey but would love to hear opinions.
5. BankruptcyAttorney.org: ".org" might not be very much appealing to many, but the term is very nice. The name is ideal for unbiased informational site with high CPC. I found the price reasonable, not expensive not cheap.

Well; above are the ones I found worth any discussion. Few other brandable domains are out there, but either very unlikely to generate any parking revenue, or has "unreasonable" or using recently favorite term: has "joke" reserve prices.

I wish I could get feedback from the seasoned domainers in this forum.

Thanks!!!
I stuck those on the auction, and think they're bargains of course. :hehe: Here's a little more info though on those two since you asked. (I have 6 in the auction including traffic)

* HUD.US was a registry reserved name that was released and caught at the end of 04. The appeal is that it is one of if not the largest player in US foreclosures, mortgages or any other housing issues. There is NO problem with the Gov department in using their information, links, content etc etc.

* BankruptcyAttorney.org I own a few Bankruptcy and attorney type names and felt the org was the logical choice for a bankruptcy attorney network. Duh PPC bid levels are nice, but setting up and going direct with an established network or your own could quadruple the click rates.

•••
I entered some good domains to be on this auction but they are still in PENDING status, although I signed the agreement and paid the $1 for verification....am not sure whats going on...

whats going on here?

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Yah, Jay confirms this on his blog. Auction extended until the 10th.

•••
^

A lot of people are worried about the Holiday tomorrow and there not being enough time to put in a bid prior to Thursday the 3rd so we have extended the deadline to January 10th at 11am PST. This will allow enough time for everyone to download the list and analyze it prior to the gavel closing. With over 170+ domains there is a domain that fits everyones budget.

Considering the Holiday(s), travel, weather, etc. and general overall post- "holidaze" this week, I think it's a smart move to extend it IMHO. :music: :talk:

Happy New Year! :santa:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Is the list final yet? It still says "preliminary" on the list itself.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back