IT.COM

Jan 3rd 2008 DomainTools.com Online Auction Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DotWeekly

DotWeekly FounderVIP Member
DotWeekly Staff
Impact
Ok, we finally have official word from DomainTools.com about the online auction they will be having.

Date: Jan. 3, 2008
Place: DomainTools.com (Online Only)
Time: 11:00 am PT

You can submit up to 20 domains total. For more info, please see the following link.

http://www.domaintools.com/live-auction/ (you must be logged in)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Cheers Yofie :)

This is a strange one...?

There are a few changes to the contract. We will require exclusive listing before the auction and for 60 days after the auction on unsold domains. If a domain fails to sell during the auction the seller is authorizing us to sell it for 20% less then the reserve price after the auction.

We will run a closed bid process on unsold domains after the auction closes. For example, How.com was listed at $500,000 during our last auction but failed to sell, however it did sell less then 60 days after the auction in a third party transaction. We are confident we can help sellers maximize post auction offers.

•••
gazzip said:
If a domain fails to sell during the auction the seller is authorizing us to sell it for 20% less then the reserve price after the auction.
Yes this NEEDS to be changed! I have posted on Jay's blog, that this makes no sense. 20% off is a Joke. Asking people to Lower there reservers is another thing! Plus, the 60 day exclusive is in place to cover DT from outsider selling....

If this is not fixed, I will remove all my domains. Watch the auction, and when it's OVER start buying :)

•••
Yofie said:
Yes this NEEDS to be changed! I have posted on Jay's blog, that this makes no sense. 20% off is a Joke. Asking people to Lower there reservers is another thing! Plus, the 60 day exclusive is in place to cover DT from outsider selling....

If this is not fixed, I will remove all my domains. Watch the auction, and when it's OVER start buying :)

wow. These are horrible terms. Given that they usually encourage you to sell your domains with low reserves for auction, do this outside an advertised auction is, well, a Joke. Do they allow you to withdraw names prior to the master auction list being listed? I didn't enter this auction, but I am becoming a bit more hesitant to sign off on some of these sweeping auction requirements.

Marc

•••
looking at the terms, I'm out. I can't wait 60 days if a name doesn't sell. I need my cashflow.

•••
sashas said:
looking at the terms, I'm out. I can't wait 60 days if a name doesn't sell. I need my cashflow.
Keep positive Sashas! Price it right and it will sell. :)

I think with any auction site like this, there will be a 60 day exclusive with domains that Make it to auction.

•••
Jay has updated his auction rules and has addressed some issues. http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/12/auction-rules/

The main issue was the 20% reduction to the price of a domain if it did not sell during the live auction even. This has been changed to 10%, which I feel is much more fair.

I have been submitting domains and they have a new Rank Tool, so it should be fun to see what some of your "Scores" are. I know with the first auction, that was something that created a buzz and was fun to talk about.

Here are a couple of my DT Ranks....

Not sure what these mean if anything or if they will be adjusted or not.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Yofie - Do you know if there are other restrictions like domain age or tlds like last auction ?

I could'nt see it anywhere although someone has asked the same question in the thread.

•••
gazzip said:
Thanks Yofie - Do you know if there are other restrictions like domain age or tlds like last auction ?

I could'nt see it anywhere although someone has asked the same question in the thread.

:hi:

It seems the main criteria this time is how generic the domains are.

Jay says: "...the more generic the better the chance we will pick the domain and that it will be sold in our auction."

He did not put any other criteria in his update today even though several persons asked.

However "Christmas Eve is the cut off date".

Update:
http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/12/auction-rules/

Patrick

•••
It seems like the only restriction is the Qty, at 20. No more then 20 domains submitted per user.

•••
This is always nice to get.... Email from DomainTools

yofie,

It appears from our records that you might have submitted one or more domains
into a DomainTools auction prior to the 7th of December, 2007. If this is true,
then you need to resubmit those domains.

You may notice that you still have your verified domains and your contracts
are still signed. However the domains that are submitted with in the auction
were lost.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope you have a pleasant and profitable
auction experience with us.

Respectfully,
The DomainTools development team

•••
Got the same thing.
Yofie said:
This is always nice to get.... Email from DomainTools

yofie,

It appears from our records that you might have submitted one or more domains
into a DomainTools auction prior to the 7th of December, 2007. If this is true,
then you need to resubmit those domains.

You may notice that you still have your verified domains and your contracts
are still signed. However the domains that are submitted with in the auction
were lost.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope you have a pleasant and profitable
auction experience with us.

Respectfully,
The DomainTools development team

•••
Thanks for the great info! :tu:

Submitted ten (10) ... and they're presently in the "gathering stats / pending review" status for the January 3rd online auction, IMHO. I purposely kept the Reserves low ... with the hope that these will garner more attention: 2 .COM's, 1 .NET, 6 .ORG's, and 1 .BIZ. With my astute domain business partner, we had rather good success at the last DT "BiG Show"! :$: :music:

Thanks again, and best to all submitting! :santa:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Ive submitted as well. Im eager to see my scores.

Justin

•••
Good Luck to you as well, Justin (and thanks again, Yofie)! :gl: :tu:

Happy Holidays! :santa:
-Jeff B-)

•••
isn't even a 10% drop in reserve ridiculus

$10,000 Reserve
No sale drop to $9000 with sale
-$900 for fees = 8100 = 19% sales charge to sell your name

Don't want to see bad things around every corner but this type of thing could be VERY bad.

personally, I am boycotting anything domaintools until they clean up the issues in the thread above here.

•••
•••
is it normal to give a credit card to submit domains?????

•••
smashfactory said:
is it normal to give a credit card to submit domains?????

$1.00, for verification purposes! :gl: :imho:

Good Luck.
-Jeff B-)

•••
The credit card is for verification purposes, and in this case I think it is normal.

My submitted domains got deleted, and without notification. Well, the issue is now solved as I submitted them again.

•••
alexsimon said:
The credit card is for verification purposes, and in this case I think it is normal.

My submitted domains got deleted, and without notification. Well, the issue is now solved as I submitted them again.
I received email about it. the same as what Yofie posted.

•••
I am not submitting to any "roadshow" style auctions atm as there seem to be too many issues to be resolved with all of the current front runners.

Sit and watch mode for now. :gl:

•••
alexsimon said:

ok- just never had to give it before like to moniker- seems strange

•••
I think the more verification the better. This will prevent many things.

From what I can tell, they have an email verification (i'm sure via whois) and the CC to verifiy the Sellers Name.

I have submitted 20 domains (I should say resubmitted) but I like the fact it's easy to delete a domain if you choose.

It will be nice if they pick domains that will NOT make it early so you will have a chance to resubmit a couple others. You just never know what they are going to choose, so I loaded a wide range.

From what I learned from the last auction, keep your prices Fair and get bidders excited! Once bidding starts, who knows what can happen. People hate to Lose, which can make it a big winner for the seller. ;)

•••
Any updates with your submissions ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back