NameSilo

It started 35 years ago.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Macit

Founder of dofo.comEstablished Member
Dofo.com Staff
Impact
The first registered domain name symbolics.com was registered 35 years ago today.

Happy birthday, symbolics.com :xf.wink:

As domain registration has become open for everybody, first-ever domain with .com extension on the internet was registered by a Massachusetts based computer firm, Symbolics Computer Corporation. In those years, they used it for their corporate website. In 2009, an investment group named Napkin.com bought the domain on its 25th anniversary of registration, and the group still owns it. The website, who accommodated a significant proportion of the history of the internet, is now turned into an internet museum, open for everyone.

https://dofo.com/blog/oldest-domain-names/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No. According to your own link, the first ever registered domain name was Nordu.net. Symbolics.com was the second.

•••
No. According to your own link, the first ever registered domain name was Nordu.net. Symbolics.com was the second.

Thanks but nordu.net was the first "created" domain name.
As for the registration, "symbolics.com" was the first one.

•••
First-ever? Wow. I would have gotten something shorter!

•••
Thanks for great post @Macit! Especially interesting to see how currently used.

Also, congrats to @bmugford for operating his domain name website on one of the 100 oldest domain names (#79). Does anyone else on NamePros use any on the list, or if not that hold any for sale?

Bob

•••
Let me quote your own link:
"On the other hand, the domain Nordu.net was registered with the aim of creating a root server at first and has become the first domain to be registered."

Wikipedia also states that it was registered.

•••
Happy birthday for .com industry. Symbolics.com symbolically starts our business.

•••
35 years? Domain names are so young compared to some of us! :xf.grin:

FWIW the Whois creation dates are:
nordu.net 1984-12-31
symbolics.com 1985-03-14

But I think we should not focus too much on the exact title, but rather appreciate the really nice blog post telling us about both of them plus 98 more!

I wonder how the domain industry will look in another 35 years?

Bob

Last edited:
•••
First-ever? Wow. I would have gotten something shorter!
Lol. It wasn't about that, at the time.

Bob, re. in 35 years, it will be fascinating, to say the least. I'm wondering if the ways we goes about now with securing names with the new gTLDs or even blockchain domains, it will be looked at different in 35 years as far as what "lucrative" pairings are, or if even new developments as to what DN's can do technologically-wise. Or if DN's will even be relevant.

It's fascinating right now though, in our current time, so focused on that while keeping pulse on the future is a good balance.

•••
I look at 35 years as two fold. One aspect is it must work as it has lasted so long. Another aspect is it shows that domains, dns, and related protocols are very old. Most technology changes sooner than 35 years. Think, what technology can you say is 35 years old?

Knowing that, it's hard to think of a future where blockchain domains are not interacting with dapp browsers and becomes a larger part of our lives. Anyone currently linking a crypto wallet to a dapp browser can see the early benefits of this technology. There are characteristics of blockchain domains that just can't be matched with current domains. In 35 years, what will blockchain domains be able to do?

•••
Think, what technology can you say is 35 years old?
Fiber :)

And yet, here we are still using copper-based lines (well over 100 years old) for our Internet/communications 68 years later after the invention of a far superior method. Though, finally they are laying fiber to the home in most new-build areas now.

So perhaps, current DN transmissions will be de-facto for a long time to come..But I think there is a difference hardware/physical-based tech vs programmable-based tech, one is much more fluid to new implementations than the other. Copper lines are very expensive to maintain, fiber as well, they are subject to real-world influences ie. weather, rodents, and once they are laid in-ground or above-ground (aerial) they are the foundation for decades to come in terms of programmable-tech.

•••
The real hard part was making html look any good without WYSIWYG.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back