IT.COM

offers Is this a good offer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dakine1

Impact
received an offer today for refillr dot com from a pretty large company. They used the godaddy apprasial of 1,645. What do you guys think? Was going to counter at 2k but think it might be worth more.....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some thoughts:

1) If you sell a domain, you need to replace it into your inventory with something equal or better. Otherwise you really don't have a business, its just a garage sale. So if you were to buy a domain of similar or better quality to replace this one, what would it cost you? Pick a few domains of similar quality and price them out. Start with that price, then add in a healthy profit for your time, holding costs, etc.. Or quote a price that's enough to buy two or three similar domains. That should be your rock bottom price. That's the only way you'll grow your business is if you can trade up to better domains, or be able to buy 2 or 3 similar quality domains for every one you sell.

2) Research other similar alternatives. Think like they are. If they like your name, what other domains will they like too? Price them out yourself. Know your competition.

3) If their offer satisfies #1 (inventory replacement) right off the bat, then still counter by at least doubling or tripling (or more) their offer - that leaves you room to negotiate where you both feel its a win. You know they're not offering you their maximum offer right off the bat - so always counter.

4) Like someone else said, if they're a big company and they're inquiring, they've already spent many thousands in time and effort just getting this far. They're not really going to bicker over a few thousand here or there. Even if they try, stand firm. Of course they'll almost always take a shot at talking you down. But unless there are good alternatives to your domain for less, there's no reason for you to back down.

5) If there is any push-back on the price, tell them your thought process. You need to replace the domain if you sell it, plus make a profit, etc... Tell them you have a name or two picked out and that you need the price you quoted so that you can purchase the replacement for your inventory - otherwise its not really worth selling. If you show them there's a logic to your pricing that they really can't argue, then often they'll just accept defeat and pay your price.

6) Of course no negotiating strategy works 100% of the time. Sometimes the buyer has a budget. So if that's not enough to justify selling (i.e. you can't satisfy point # 1 above), then be willing to walk away.

7) Also of course take into consideration your personal situation. How bad do you need the money, if you lost this buyer, would it be a big deal? If its putting food on the table or keeping the electricity on, do what you gotta do.

Good Luck.

•••
If the offer was made thru GD then I would definitely counter higher.

•••
If they are a "fairly large" company what do they want this name for?

If it for a new brand/product, an ad campaign etc Then you can ask for a fair bit more

Do some research into them and counter accordingly - if any of the above counter 10k + (as long as their revenue justifies it) otherwise if you need the money or you feel it is maybe for their own brand protection counter circa 3k

just my opinion

•••
In my opinion this domain isn't even worth anything close to what they are offering .. so congrats on the interest and potential sale!

However .. there are HUGE holding costs for portfolios filled with such names that likely get far fewer offers and sales than typical real language domains, so don't feel bad asking for more than it's actually worth.

If you know they are a big company then they likely aren't going to leave negotiations for a bit more. In fact .. if indeed a big company then they've already likely applied far more than $1645 in terms of time just to decide on that name.

If they really are a big company I wouldn't think it wrong to counter $3-5k .. possibly more depending on how sure you are they need it. But always remember that there is a small risk of losing the sale.

Also check to see if they own a trademark on it ... that being said, as long as you aren't advertising or using it in the same way you are likely safe (although it is unique enough to possibly get a bad decision by a bad UDRP panellist) .. I wouldn't risk going too much higher than 3-4k in that case.

Good luck with it! :)

Last edited:
•••
Domain registered since 2013. Assuming you are the original registrant, how many offers/inquiries have you got so far ? Could be a long time until you receive a better offer, if any. Which does not mean the other party is not prepared to go higher but it's easy to scare buyers away. Also, their initial excitement can wane pretty fast when they get a significantly higher counter-offer. Then they give up or look for something else.
I don't think there is a big gap between 1645 and 2000, especially after commission fees.
Generally speaking, there is little demand for 'skewed words'.

•••
I would prize it at $4.888 USD

I agree with this. If you know they are a decent size business, you can easily tell them that you were expecting something closer to $xxxx amount for the domain. At least counter until they push back and say the "most we can do" is $xxxx. By them justifying their price with something external (godaddy), it is a great sign for you.

Here's one of mine from 2012. I would just keep going until you get resistance like in the dialog below. In this instance the Buyer didn't need the domain. They were just adding it to their collection of similar names. In your case, it looks like they would likely be using the domain for a product/service.

1st Email from Buyer (Nov 8, 2:11pm)
I am a professional organizer and I am looking for a domain to host my blog. Could you please tell me what price you are asking for in return for domain_removed.com?

My First Response - If this didn't work out I likely would have contacted them a 2-3 days later (Nov 13, 8:19am)
This domain is one of the few that I have plans to develop. I am open to offers, but I'm not really looking to sell this one at the moment unless it was over $10,000. I'll send you an email in the future if my plans change.

2nd Email from Buyer - Offers their potential Reservation Value (RV) (Nov 14, 7:41am)
Thank you for your reply. At this time, I would be willing to offer $5,000 for the domain. Understanding that you do plan to use it, please let me know if anything changes or if you prefer to sell it at this time.

My Second Response - (Nov 14 10:08am)
If we can get the transaction paid for this week, I could do it for $7,500.

3rd Email from Buyer - Offers their potential Reservation Value (RV) (Nov 15, 6:30am)
Would you be able to come down to $6,500?

My Third Response (Nov 15 7:23am)
I could do that. I'll setup the transaction today.

In my estimator, it shows this is a high Tier 4 domain, so you could easily ask $4-5k without offending anyone.

•••
First, tell them that automated appraisals are meaningless. Each uses a one-size-fits-all group of metrics, which don't make sense especially for brandable names like this, names that have missing or added letters. And also tell them that each auto appraisal service makes up its own metrics, so each one gives a different valuation (Estibot says 'less than $100' for this one). Tell them to throw out the meaningless auto appraisals, and 'then we can start with what this domain is worth, to both the seller and the buyer'.

I receive offers that commonly quote automated appraisals and I always lead in with the above info.

Good luck :)

Hey, you've been a member since 2013, and only have two posts, both today; can't anybody shut you up? ;)

•••
If nothing works then know that $1600 is a good price for this name.

•••
I’d counter $2,999 but would sell even if they won’t come up from the $1,600.

•••
I suspect if they offered that they are willing to go higher since they sought you out. I would probably counter higher but not hugely higher. I note that the .org and .io are both available for hand registration, so should they be the kind of organization either of those would fit then that might be relevant, or not.

I have not carefully analyzed sales with one letter different than a common word. I expect the brandable marketplaces have sold many but they do not disclose individual sales.

Depending on how ideal you think the name is as a fit to them I would probably counter $2400 to $4000.

But I am not expert on this!

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Actually I had a better look at broadly comparables which seem to suggest to me that this is a very good offer for your name. I would try to close it quickly at this price or very little above it (I know this is somewhat different from my earlier advice, but when I saw that the name refiller directly sold for less than this ($861), admittedly a few years ago (2013) leads me to believe this is a fine offer - seal it before they change their mind would be my advice).
Bob

•••
•••
Definitely, you should counter higher we all know that Godaddy appraisal is meaningless.

•••
Counter the offer. But have in mind your domain doesn't worth anything close to what they offered you. Or it may actually worth much more in their eyes and that's what matters.

•••
I would counter— always counter. My guess is Refiller listed on Uniregistry for sale was pursued first and the price was too high. I think you would be wise to ask for more but not too much more. $2K to $5K. Refill is pharma and that person selling refiller is not selling it cheap.

Last edited:
•••
Domain registered since 2013. Assuming you are the original registrant, how many offers/inquiries have you got so far ? Could be a long time until you receive a better offer, if any.
New domainers should write this down. Very true.

•••
It seems like your domain name is worth much more than the appraisal.

•••
•••
the offer was made direct to me via email
I'd counter anyway unless you desperately need the money now and don't want to hold the name for years.

•••
I respect the view of @Bannen (he is a 10 star member - wow - so must do lots right!) but if you follow that route I would be very careful in your communication to not come off as condescending or talking down to them. The company probably realizes the limitations of robotic worth estimates, but they decided it was a starting point for negotiations.

I would simply say something like "Automated estimates of worth have limited precision in some cases and I feel that a broad look at measures suggests a higher worth for this name." I would not trot out more but be prepared if you get into a negotiation with comparable sales that sold for much more than GD valuation.

I suspect that Paul Nicks NamesCon message that 90% of time sales are within $2000 of the GD GoValue will have found an audience broader than just the domain community.

I am not surprised that Estibot has <100 - any misspelled brandable I find they have very low unless it is really short or made up of two common words.

Bob

•••
Give them a few examples of past similar sales and counter.

•••
I would prize it at $4.888 USD

•••
It's 1600, which is already generous. But I think u should counter 4295, because that's what a bb accepted name would go for.

If they say no, then just accept their 1600 :tightlyclosedeyes:

•••
I’d counter $2,999 but would sell even if they won’t come up from the $1,600.
at least you already tried to countered it
wish the best for you

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back