IT.COM

discuss Is there value in .co.uk?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domainscoop.com

Established Member
Impact
I have never liked the cctld, or never owned one, I was thinking of acquiring few .co.uk names. I wanted to ask you name pros , whats your take on .co.uk , how many domains do you own? whats the sales average look like? Is it worth investing like 10k to 20k in couple of names?

I from us, and i know we are allowed to register names, but can you potentially run into some legal problems being us resident? What yours guys take?

People who owns some .co.uk domain, i would be thankful for your input.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No legal problems, anyone can register a co.uk domain. I had around 200. Average sales price is 10% of a .com (rule of thumb). UK is a difficult market to get into. Single word and 3L domains sell the best.

•••
It's very popular in the UK. 60 % of small businesses here prefer it to dot com.

Best,
Paul

•••
Works well for goods and services which benefit from local shipping costs or require some sort of after support, as people will go to the .co.uk before the same .com

New .co.uk's don't have rights to the .uk equivalent, not many .uk's around but you run the risk of someone else grabbing it if you don't register both.

•••
.co.uk has seemingly plateaued over the years. You can sell good .co.uk domains at a decent price, but it's not really a hot market compared to other TLDs such as the new TLDs.

•••
I have never liked the cctld, or never owned one, I was thinking of acquiring few .co.uk names. I wanted to ask you name pros , whats your take on .co.uk , how many domains do you own? whats the sales average look like? Is it worth investing like 10k to 20k in couple of names?

I from us, and i know we are allowed to register names, but can you potentially run into some legal problems being us resident? What yours guys take?

People who owns some .co.uk domain, i would be thankful for your input.
It is too smart to invest into .co.uk , i have not many .. but i can tell there is a strong potential being a resident of UK for a decade :)

•••
It is too smart to invest into .co.uk , i have not many .. but i can tell there is a strong potential being a resident of UK for a decade :)

I think the potential is already there ! The extension tends to be bought (and used) by end users rather than domainers looking to flip.

Best,
Paul

Last edited:
•••
I think the .co.uk market is a lot more stable the new gtlds

It is finding its feet again after nominet launched the .uk extension in June 2014. There was a long period of consultation before .uk was launched and this caused uncertainty from about November 2012 when existing .co.uk domain holders started to battle with nominet to get awarded rights to the new extension. That battle was won (with existing .co.uk owners, in most cases, being awarded a 5 years window to register the .uk from June 2014) but there was nearly 2 years of uncertainty and it certainly did affect sales.

Premium .co.uk domains (with rights to the .uk, or holding the .uk) have continued to sell well. Remember the $650k sale of furniture.co.uk last year. Visit domainprices.co.uk and select .co.uk to search for sales. You'll also see a lot of domain sales from the domainlore platform. That market is mainly domainers but you do get end users on there sometimes. You can find great bargains on there.

If I was investing a lot of money in a .co.uk then I'd want it to have rights to the .uk version (or be sold the .co.uk together with the .uk). The .co.uk version is still the most popular extension in the uk, followed by .com, and I'd say .uk is now picking up and being used by quite a few new websites. Whether it eventually takes over from .co.uk who knows? The new gtlds are hardly seen at all in the UK.

If you buy a .co.uk that hasn't got the .uk as well (maybe the domain was registered since 10th June 2014, or was a pre June 2014 domain where a domain owner registered the .uk and sold off the .co.uk separately - not a nice thing to do if you haven't warned the buyer about the .uk) then I think it does devalue the domain. So try to buy both if you can, or go for a pre June 2014 .co.uk which has rights to register the .uk.

To register the .uk you'll need a uk service address. I've seen a lot of overseas companies starting to use a uk service address and I think some registrars are starting to offer this service. Best to check the nominet website for more information on this new extension and the terms and conditions.

•••
•••
Works well for goods and services which benefit from local shipping costs or require some sort of after support, as people will go to the .co.uk before the same .com

New .co.uk's don't have rights to the .uk equivalent, not many .uk's around but you run the risk of someone else grabbing it if you don't register both.

Don't I know it lol

Didn't buy the. uk when had the chance now can't buy the. uk as it's bought

So bought the. uk in another domain as had the right to it as owned the. co.uk is of the domain early enough

But co.uk is as has been mentioned very popular and the main cctld used in the uk

But double check spelling of domain as us and uk as some words are spelt differently even tho they sound the same

•••
•••
•••
"Bitcoin" related .co.uk domain names makes sense. Bitcoin have a great future in the UK. The rise of bitcoin prime in the United Kingdom.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back