Dynadot

discuss Anybody not in Uk getting notices to update address lately for co.uk names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
to make long story short..

I bought from an np member who lives in europe norway few co.uk names... like 12 months ago or so...
they were pushed on uniregistry to me.. which automatically changed contact on them to my canadian info.

all went ok .. they stayed in my account for months.. I even paid to renew them recently.. then today out of blue I get unioregistry compliance email askng me to put proper UK info in there.. for business..or private.. and provide ID proof etc..

why now and not before? or even during push for that matter?

can anyone think of ways to do this so I do not lose the names? I assume the other person was able to reg them intiailly cause UK was still part of EU etc..

im also looking at some registrars which may offer proxy regs for these.. but not even sure if that'll solve the issue.. or if they've not been blocked for transfer til this resolves.

I have zero eperience with co.uk names as these are the only ones I ever dealt with...

thoughts???

thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As far as I am aware you do not need to be a UK resident but you do need to have a contact address within the UK. Therefore I would suggest a proxy service would probably be the best if your current registrar does not offer that service.

I do not see the point in why this has to be the case but unfortunately it is and they have also changed their terms so that PO box addresses are no longer valid.

If you have any friends in the UK, you could ask them if it is okay to use their address. All that would happen is that if they sent anything in the post to verify details, your friend would need to let you know so you can respond.

•••
•••
I have done a bit of investigating and the UK address thing seems to actually come from certain registrars and not Nominet themselves who state Nominet validates all UK addresses against the Royal Mail Postcode Address file........Overseas addresses are validated against similar type sources where they exist.

Why don't you transfer them over to Dynadot as it doesn't sound like they would have any problem with it.

•••
thanks to all!

@Dynadot especially

I was able to resolve this as it seems .uk only does verifications to ensure it is an existing valid person for the domains... and potentially they do this more often than not for those addresses which are not UK.. like mine.. the uk residency is not apparently a strict requirement.. unlike say... for .eu... .ca ... .de

all in all this is now resolved.

thanks for the help.

but since we're already on the subject.. does anyone here know a list of registrars that offer trustee services? so others can learn something from all this.

is dynadot one of them?

I know epik does it.

thanks!

Last edited:
•••
iwantmyname.com offer it it for .de domains.

•••
personally I own one .eu

with epik trustee service.

•••
You're very welcome @alcy, unfortunately we're not able to offer a trustee service for domains that do require a certain residency status at this time.

•••
well.. I thought I'd add this info.. as I just got some additional info from Epik after I asked them if they can help me with my issues.. prior to my discovering I am able to resolve it without transfer/trustee services..

it appears Epik support clarified to me that things are different and requirements much stricter for .uk domains.. versus co.uk domains.

hopefully this info is helpful to others in future.

•••
Afaik British contact address is necessary for .uk (but not for .co.uk) and the said address in case of non-UK registrars can (or even supposed to?) be a mailforwarding or registrar-powered proxy.

Indeed, Nominet likes to "verify" the addresses in both cases, and it is not uncommon for such a verification to fail even for 100% correct UK-based addresses. With or without this in mind, Nominet allowed registrars to perform necessary verifications themselves, and in this case (registrar successfully verified it internally) whois will show:

Data validation:
The registrar is responsible for having checked these contact details

In contrast, nominet-verified / not verified outputs would be:

Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on XX-Month-YYYY

Nominet was not able to match the registrant's name and/or address against a 3rd party source on XX-Month-YYYY

For registrar verification purposes, a CC billing address or (Uniregistry case) payout profile (such as with wire transfer bank account number + address details) should be fine afaik... If is saved on file and was used - after successful CC deposit or Uniregistry wire payout. Sending an ID is not the only way to perform such a verification.

Last edited:
•••
I never got such notice. Maybe because i live in the European Union, who knows.

•••
I don't know if it helps you but you can create a free account at nominet.uk to manage some aspects of your .uk and .co.uk domains - in your Nominet account you see a list of your domains, and can update some details there.

Last edited:
•••
I guess verification of all domains are required. I do know when domains are banned in case the registrar feels its a in valid info. They do a verification at times when required.

•••
I guess verification of all domains are required. I do know when domains are banned in case the registrar feels its a in valid info. They do a verification at times when required.

thanks but I am really not talking about all domains. nor was I asked ot verify all domains.

this is strictly for .uk stuff.

cheers

•••
Afaik British contact address is necessary for .uk (but not for .co.uk) and the said address in case of non-UK registrars can (or even supposed to?) be a mailforwarding or registrar-powered proxy.

Is this a written rule or a secret rule?

Could you please link to the UK registry or other official website where this rules is mentioned?

•••
Is this a written rule or a secret rule?

Could you please link to the UK registry or other official website where this rules is mentioned?
UK residency was required for .UK domains initially, but this requirement was removed some time ago. You can now register .UK domains from a non-UK address.

•••
UK residency was required for .UK domains initially, but this requirement was removed some time ago. You can now register .UK domains from a non-UK address.

Even after Brexit?

•••
•••
If a U.S. customer can register a .UK domain now, why would this change after Brexit?

If it is a no-deal Brexit, everything can happen. Maybe not even people that are in the EU. Who knows what they will think of. I asked because maybe @Dynadot has more access to information than I am.

•••
If it is a no-deal Brexit, everything can happen. @Dynadot has more access to information than I am.

deal or no-deal are between the UK and the EU
not between the UK and the USA
or between the UK and Japan

•••
deal or no-deal are between the UK and the EU
not between the UK and the USA
or between the UK and Japan

Why are you 100% sure that this will not affect all of the countries ?! Are you in the UK parliament ?
Anything is possible. That is politics.

•••
UK/EU address is NOT required for .UK
But your data must be validated by Nominet (automatic mode) OR with your registrar (manual mode).

If you see such record in WHOIS (autovalidation failed)...
Data validation:
Nominet was not able to match the registrant's name and/or address against a 3rd party source

Then validate your registrant details with your registrar - or after 30 days your domains will be suspended.

https://registrars.nominet.uk/uk-namespace/data-quality-policy/data-validation-process/

•••
If it is a no-deal Brexit, everything can happen. Maybe not even people that are in the EU. Who knows what they will think of. I asked because maybe @Dynadot has more access to information than I am.
I'm sorry, we don't have any information on what may happen to the requirements in the future unfortunately.

•••
Why are you 100% sure that this will not affect all of the countries.

I am 99.5% sure, that must be enough. Are you more than 99.5% sure?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back