Dynadot

poll Is there a future for new GTLDs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are new GTLDs penetrating?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Leo Angelo

DomaincracyTop Member
Impact
I was surprised to learn today that a non-domainer friend migrated his website to the same name .blog because "for a blog, .blog makes more sense than .com." What about the renewal fee? "$29/yr. Not enough to be a deterrent."
He is an intelligent person who appreciates using the best and the fewest words. Using the self-explanatory TLD makes sense and is worth the extra money, in his opinion.
Maybe the new GLTDs are making inroads with public awareness and will keep gaining market share. What do you think, how do you feel about it?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are far too many new gTLD's and a number are doomed to failure, I would not stake my business on one.

That said, as long as you have a backup and are only using the new gTLD as a forwarder or something then I am all for it.

There are going to be a lot of businesses caught with their pants down when some of these new gTLD's fail. Country codes and .com's have security, you know they will never shut down. The same cannot be said of ANY new gTLD.

So, are you a gambler?

I agree, there are far too many extensions out now. Some will certainly continue to gain attention and traction from the general public while others fail to exist. Just look at .qpon; it's destined fail. Seriously an abbreviated misspelling of coupon? Has anyone ever purposely abbreviated coupon as qpon? There are only 458 registered domains after nearly 1,800+ days of existence. Of those 458 registered domains, 82 are registered by MarkMonitor solely for brand protection and who knows how many of the remaining 376 are registry owned. Numbers like that are simply not sustainable. I cannot currently find one developed .qpon domain that's not registry owned. Even .qpon would rather use .com with their dotqpon.com. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

While rare, it should be noted even country codes aren't safe. During the 2011 Egyptian protests, domain .eg was shut down by the government. Also, country code TLDs may be removed if the country ceases to exist. There are ccTLDs that have been deleted after all: cs (for Czechoslovakia), zr (for Zaire) and tp (for East Timor).

•••
Most nTLDs are served by Donuts...
I don't see any reasons why Donuts should fail...
But domainer segment will be shortened definitely:

Donuts will be increasing pricing on standard domains for 225 TLDs in their portfolio on October 1, 2019. This will impact both available and registered standard price domain names. There will be no impact to premium domain tiers at this time.

•••
the com part is like a weird growth at the end of a name. com means nothing, why is it there?

Good luck to you, no chance in domains.

•••
I have a sense you are a bit biased to .com yourself :P
"Nothing to worry about"?
Now, why would one worry if newtld penetrate? Ppl should know there's a lot of pie, more than enough for newtld and .com and more.
Why does it have to be terrible for .com lover if ntld investors succeed too? What's there to worry about one way or another?

Namebio goes way back.
1.5 million sales totaling $1.7 billion.
-PATHETIC Domaining is still in infancy IMO.

I know ntld will have huge sales in the future, many millions for great names.

Most sensible people biased to .com!!

When you walk into phone shop are you biased to Apple or Nokia? You are wishful thinking and putting new tld on equal pedestal to .com, you will lose your shirt because these extensions are dirt! Look around you, walk on the street, do you see new tld? Grandmas know what most new tld investors still haven't learnt!

•••
There are so many of these threads, and many angles to consider.

Does anyone see stats that support mass end user adoption other than mass speculator adoption? History with price increases in 2017 does not support market confidence. History does repeat itself. Also, Giving away .88 cent domains is a desperation move, and like then what happens with .loans filled with Spammers according to Spamhaus.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/88-cent-domains-how-many-are-you-buying.1021822/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/16-new-tlds-will-get-price-increases-of-up-to-3-000.1005439/

Godaddy delisted some of them for awhile. And then back pedaled.

“Schilling informed me that GoDaddy will stop offering Uniregistry top level domain names. This isn’t the first time GoDaddy has dropped Uniregistry names, but it seems they now have put a permanent transition in place.

GoDaddy stopped offering new registrations of Uniregistry TLDs in March due to Uniregistry’s planned price hikes, but then added them back in with high prices. While new registrations are available as of today, this will soon be switched off.”

https://www.namepros.com/threads/go...-all-uniregistry-strings-permanently.1036335/

•••
you guys do realize that 80% of the world isn't connected to the internet. As technology penetration increases, so will the demands for digital real estate.

Hope people in Ethiopia buy your .app? How about people with antenna in ghetto?

Stat wrong also, now only 40% not online.

•••
Hope people in Ethiopia buy your .app? How about people with antenna in ghetto?

Stat wrong also, now only 40% not online.

the people in the ghetto will be connecting to .app domains through my service satellite.app ;)

•••
people in the ghetto will also be buying and selling electricity from electricity.app

•••
people in the ghetto will get to engage in governance services with governance.app

•••
people in the ghetto will be able to authenticate goods with authentication.app

•••
people in the ghetto will get to participate in voting with consensus.app

•••
people in the ghetto will be able to buy and sell goods with merchant.app

•••
people in the ghetto will be able to exchange their mobile money with africash.app

•••
•••
A quick Google search for "how much of the worlds population is online" and currently most of the results say it's closer to 50/50....a quick estimate of several of the results...still HUGE room for growth=value increase for ALL domains whether it be .com...or a ngtld...everybody wins!!! 😉

•••
A quick Google search for "how much of the worlds population is online" and currently most of the results say it's closer to 50/50....a quick estimate of several of the results...still HUGE room for growth=value increase for ALL domains whether it be .com...or a ngtld...everybody wins!!! 😉

60% and almost all of developed world. All left is half of the third world and old people in developed world, mostly people with no money. May top out at 80-90%. This why domain numbers barely growing. Saturate.

Be accurate if you want to take money, believing fake stats like only 20% penetration is bad idea.

Last edited:
•••
There is a procedure for gTLDs that fail (Emergency Backend Registry Operator/ EBERO) where another registry can take over the operation of a gTLD where the registry has issues.

Yup and other registries will line up to bail out a failing one. :unsure:

The thing about failure is it usually means losing money.
When is the last time somebody did charity by buying out a failed business?

I think if and when one fails it will fail period.

•••
Most nTLDs are served by Donuts...
I don't see any reasons why Donuts should fail...

•••
The same regarding Afilias nTLDs...

•••
.mobi failed because nowadays it has no sense with modern gadgets.

•••
My recent US buyer (solid engineering company) said that low-mid 6F pricetag for the same .com is an absurd.
And such explanations I hear very often from the incoming endusers...

Last edited:
•••
Basically Frank had to stop thinking like a domainer and start thinking like a registry operator. What he did, as unpleasant as it sounds, was the right thing. A new TLD cannot depend on domainers for all of its registrations.
And, by increasing prices, Frank actually saved his NGTLDs. From what? From what is hapenning with .xyz or .top : cheap registrations, $0.01 promotions and the like = TONS of spam and other questionable activity = bad reputation = no future.

•••
Yep. It was in trouble as soon as Apple launched its smartphone and stuck with .COM as the default. MOBI's market has shifted. It still has renewals from brand protection registrations but it anyone pitching English language domain names is going to find it far more difficult than selling the same name in .COM.

Regards...jmcc

New tld has all same problems! .mobi still has 400k registration @full price, better extension than any new tld.

•••
Sales so far this year @namebio

.mobi - 13 sales
.club - 8 sales
.xyz - 3 sales
.best - 1 sale

If people think new tld is better than .mobi on what numbers? Wishful thinking?

Must buy only best new tld (I suggest people look at brands.international if they want the best ones)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back