Dynadot

Is that true that my domain can have TM issue?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GIRLIU

Established Member
Impact
I spend a big amount (for me "big", because I am poor) to buy a domain and now a person said, it will have TM issue. The domain is googlealgorithms.com. I know many sites use domains with "Google" in them, for example that "Church of Google" and many others. That's why I chose this one and I hope to sell it in a very good price and to become a little richer. How do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, this is a blatant infringement of the Google trademark, get rid of this name asap, you cannot use Google in a domain name

Looks like it it was hand-registered yesterday so just grace delete it from your registrar if you can

Dynadot do allow grace deletes if i remember correctly (could be wrong as I havent used them for a while)

•••
Google could go after you for it. If "Church of Google" is non profit they have less to worry about. The issue is if you're compromising Google's business or competing. If you have a similar name for a business in a different industry, you may be able to defend it, but in this case it's obviously a squatter domain IMHO. You could make an info site with no means of making money from it and Google may leave you alone if they feel it's no threat to their business....but no promises...

As for selling the domain, yeah Google could go after you for that as well, because you'd be profiting from their trademark...

•••
And I can have my USD 9,99 back if I do that "grace delete"?

•••
And why it's possible to register something if it's TM?! I think they should tell me this is reserved... I still don't understand this. I'm not a lawyer...

•••
It's all explained on the legal section

You should be able to get a refund

•••
•••
I submited a grace deletion request ($3.00 is the deletion fee and it's sort of painful for our budget, but I think it's a small problem.)
That's all...

•••
I do not mean this to be insulting but if $3 is a "painful" expense for your budget, then you should not be pursuing a speculative business venture.

Furthermore, if you lack even a minimal understanding of the trademark issues that could arise in relation to the purchase of domain names, then you should not be in the business until you learn the basics.

•••
And why it's possible to register something if it's TM?! I think they should tell me this is reserved... I still don't understand this. I'm not a lawyer...

No domain registrar in the world has a database with all registered trademarks so they can stop you from using one. Especially as the Trademark rules are somewhat loose and open to interpretation. It is the sole responsibility of the domain buyer to research their desired domains (although in the case of your domain there isn't much research to be done - its an obvious trademark).

Anyways, at the end of the day you seem to be losing just $3 which is a fair price for a mistake and lesson learned ;)

•••
Spend some time here reading the threads in the forum and you learn a lot (for free) and ask questions, a lot of them. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back