IT.COM

Is Sedo.com's SedoMLS premium a good deal?

NameSilo
Watch

sky

Established Member
Impact
I just pulled my domains off of DomainApps. I was on the $10/month paid fee parking plan. I just switched the parking to Sedo... Most of my domains according to Sedo are valued under $1000, but I have 4 1-word .PRO domains that Sedo's own free listing price estimates values at $1500, $2700, $2700, $4700 respectively. I'd like to sell as many domains as possible.

While optimizing the domains for sale at Sedo, I was able to get to their "level-3" optimization but not to "level-4", their SedoMLS/premium level, which they say is where they promote the domains more aggressively but it requires that the domains be held at registrars who are in some kind of agreement with Sedo, and unfortunately, name.com and EnCirca.com, where my domains are registered (EnCirca for the .PROs), are not.

With SedoMLS, Sedo's profit off the sale rises from 10% to 20% of the sale price. I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Anyway, at this point I wouldn't mind just selling as many domains as I can at a 'reasonable' price (according to Sedo's automated pricing system) and I figure if Sedo's premium promotion will actually get some sold that 80% of something is better than 90% of nothing (regarding my net of the sale price).

I'm not going to change all my .COM, .US, .NET. and .INFO to a registrar that has the contract with Sedo, until they expired. But I'll consider doing so with my .PRO's if I can figure out which registrar takes .PRO that works with SedoMLS, and it's a good price. I heard that EnCirca's renewal fee is not dropping to a reasonable price like some .PRO registrar's which will prompt me to move them anway.

Anyone have any helpful info/perspective on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First why would you leave domainapps for Sedo parking ? I would much rather have the options domain apps provides over Sedo.

Sedo appraisals are pretty much worthless. Buyers don't care what Sedo appraises a domain at.

Sedo does sell a lot of domains each week on the bright side, on the downside not many of those are .pro.

You could always promote them yourself and keep 100 % of the sale price and use escrow.com and have the buyer pay the escrow.

Think about who the end users are for the 4 .pro domains and try selling them on your own first. No luck then move to SEDO MLS approved registrar. Domainers are too quick to give 20 % away. Sedo will not have a sales person working phones, your names will just show up on other sites where you actually need someone to be looking for what you got.

Best of luck

•••
I don't know. DomainApps was too much work to set them up nice, and I just wanted to consolidate and get them sold. I"m actually developing a lot of code for a site now, and want to monetize that by the shear value of the service, and don't have a lot of time to spend trying to promote my domains. I was hoping that the 'new and improved' Sedo would just get the names the exposure they need. I figure the 1-word .PRO domains will sell themselves if people go looking for the keyword...

I just don't know how to reach out directly to potential buyers who aren't domain savvy and impress them without sounding SPAMmy. I haven't taken the time to read up on any changes at DomainApps in the past 2-3 years. Do they get domains sold, or is it just parking revenue? I instrumented my domains with AdSense and bypassed DomainApps system of revenue whatever that was, before. Domaining takes a lot of energy, and for a guy with a full time job plus trying to develop a new web service, it's extra time I don't want to spend unless I can figure out a way to pay some bills with it.

•••
:talk:

Hi

how did you get lead to a ppc service that charges you a $10 a month fee, to use their system?

that's $120 a year or renewal fee for 12 names @ $10 each

i sold a name recently thru sedo mls via gd in four figure range, so there is a benefit

though i wouldn't hold no .pro

and i'm curious as to how much revenue you earned with domainapps

•••
It's worth it. Just add 30% to the sale price to cover the costs. As far as I know it's free to list. So why wouldn't you do it? Disclaimer: I don't use SedoMLS, but I should.

•••
•••

Hi

how did you get lead to a ppc service that charges you a $10 a month fee, to use their system?

that's $120 a year or renewal fee for 12 names @ $10 each

Yes, probably stupid to do that for so few domains. I used to have more domains but I gradually had to let some drop due to renewal fees. They're were mostly 1-2 keyword .com, .us and .info. I had higher hopes for revenue at one point, but I ran out of time and energy to keep actively domaining and growing it. It takes a bit of work to rake in any substantial dough parking, but then again I'm not an expert. I was at dinner at my niece in-law's parents the other night and her dad took some spendy classes in online marketing, and has some killer sites and strategies and uses some pretty nice template stuff to create things way more impressive than the typical stuff I found, and probably could do better, but that's after a large investment and a lot of work.

I'm going to take the $10/month and get a larger linode VM to support the real site I am working on. That is going to be feature rich offering a service. I know that's going to be worth the extra bread.

though i wouldn't hold no .pro
/QUOTE]

Why not? It's not that expensive anymore, and I got in just after the main gold rush and got a bunch of 1-word ones.
I've made some money from them. Anyway, I used to have about 20, now I have about 5 (I thought 4 yesterday, but forgot one). One of them will host my new service and is a perfect 1-word name not available in .COM or .NET. I'm not in love with .PRO anymore though, for sure. And I don't like to have to manage them separately from my other domains by having them at another registrar. Still, if I sell any of my 5 *good* one name .PRO's for anything near the mid $XXXX they're reasonably worth, then I'll be super glad to have them.

and i'm curious as to how much revenue you earned with domainapps

I don't know exactly how much I earned from the DomainApps site, because I created a custom template that would let me insert adsense, and adsense is a hassle to sort out by domain name (at least it was), and a couple of my domains were hosted on my own linode VM. But the total for under 20 active names was probably $250/year in AdSense revenue.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back