Dynadot

discuss Is ReCaptcha killing domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Has everyone tried doing a Godaddy whois lookup recently? Or at Network Solutions?

Let's talk about Whois results for domains currently residing at Godaddy registrar -- at every other registrar's Whois lookup I've tried today, the majority of contact information including email address has been removed. Then you're directed to Godaddy's whois URL for all that "missing information".

But the kicker is that when you go to Godaddy's whois lookup, you're confronted with seemingly endless ReCaptcha roadblocks that waste time and simply annoy. I know I've ranted about this ReCaptcha situation before (mostly to deaf ears), but I really have to wonder if these same roadblocks and missing information in most Whois results are what's confounding end-users and discouraging many of them from finding a domain's owner information -- specifically, email addresses. Because IMO, it sure ain't readily available anymore!!

Am I making all this up??

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think it's killing domaining but I really do hate it! Especially the puzzle pieces.

•••
But sometimes you cannot get past the ReCaptcha at all - I have experienced that. Other times it takes many, many tries.
Absolutely. I won't fall into that trap. I also read that ReCaptcha mines (read steals) data/information (on behavior/activity) during this invasive process. It's far more harmful than simply being annoying.

Last edited:
•••
reCaptcha is to stop all the bots hitting it using up all the bandwidth. Depending how quick from registering a name you want to see result i have a whois on my site.

•••
There is a big problem with the ReCaptcha from Google. The thing CONNECTS the customer to Google, without notice, where Google strips every possible bit of information off the customer's computer, supposedly to identify him to assure that he is not a robot. This is called a fingerprint - and every computer has thousands of data points for G to collect, each is pretty much unique.

This article:
http://www.businessinsider.com/google-no-captcha-adtruth-privacy-research-2015-2

describes the privacy aspect. The Google reCaptcha records every move and pause of the mouse. It looks into "past, present and future" browsing activity. It connects with pre-existing Google cookies. It sees you when you're sleeping (/joke).

And it keeps all that information forever.

The Business Insider author does not believe Google is mis-using this information. I don't trust them, and nobody can predict what Google will be in the future.

The author did not discuss the deeper, personality profile, aspect of the reCaptcha. A number of photos are shown and the user is asked to select the photos with houses or cats or something similar. Usually, after making several choices, the remaining options are not clear. Is a hotel a house? Is a tiger a cat? Or maybe the photo is blurry - is that a cat or a rug? With the program insisting that you must choose more, it can force judgements, exposing sub-conscious bias and preferences. Notice there are a lot of hot-button images: foreign languages, places of worship, poverty. As a person solves the reCaptcha at different websites over time, a map of his sub-conscious is developed that can manipulate him on a very deep and pervasive level.

Frankly, along with Siri listening in randomly to conversations in our houses, this is a very serious problem.

•••
Horrible, truly horrible. I knew I was not just inventing these dastardly scenarios. It's beyond a slippery slope, the average Netizen is awash in a deluge of insidious schemes courtesy of the Big G and too many others (ex., FB). All for the purpose of gleaning more and more information for the sole purpose of using/abusing, controlling and even potentially owning.

Last edited:
•••
No, it's not killing domaining in any way shape or form. The sites are just using it to stop the massive amount of bots from slowing down their services to legitimate users.

Yes Big G's services are all a huge intrusion into everyone's privacy.

Captcha doesn't have to be google (though bots keep getting smarter and google is good at stopping them).

It would be good for the "big guys" to design their own captcha system.

But again, no. It is no way is going to effect domaining.

•••
But again, no. It is no way is going to effect domaining.
I honestly think it could be affecting sales. But I will admit, probably not to any significant degree.

•••
I use the newer No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA. Could be true what the articles states but for years I've just assumed that Facebook, Google etc... already know everything including what I eat for breakfast. :xf.eek:

•••
•••
The problem is not that they KNOW what I eat for breakfast -- it is that they DECIDE what I eat for breakfast. And they make it look like my choice.

•••
I see your point, but I'm not sure, because every web site developer and SEO expert from India sure knows how to find mine! :banghead:
I have 2 domains that I hand regd just as learning tools. EVERY DAY I get 2 to 5 offers from web-app-etc developpers from India. And they are all called Gary, Bruce, Frank.....created a new email for the next series of domain purchases. Then will eliminate clutter in my email by just going there for domaining and quickly flush the spammers
M

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back