IT.COM

debate Is parking that downloads spyware/malware morally wrong?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
There are so many parked domains that send you to a page that tries to download and install "cleaner" software, tells you that your flash is out of date and tries to load some malware, etc...

How do you guys personally handle this when you find one of your own domains has shady ads all over it? And what if they are actually paying out? F- it and take the money or do you think it's part of your duty to make the web a better place?

Curious to see where the ethics lie and general sentiment lie on this issue here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've had malicious software install automatically once and it's not pretty; ended up costing me a lot for someone to make a buck.

So, no I wouldn't have a nonchalant attitude and pass the buck to generate another buck for my pocket. Even if my case didn't happen and I didn't have experience with it, I would choose to opt-out of a service such as that.

If I found that my parked pages had malware on them, with an annoying landing page you cannot get off of (I saved a link just for reference, had to close all Chrome windows to exit), I would move them to another provider.

I don't think any parking company has 0-click to these types of pages. They are most likely affiliate programs or websites run by the same person that owns the original trafficking site.

•••
If you need to inquire as to the ethics of this practice, I have no other choice but to weep. If I had a parked domain with such ads, I'd remove them from the parking company ASAP without thinking twice

•••
If you need to inquire as to the ethics of this practice, I have no other choice but to weep. If I had a parked domain with such ads, I'd remove them from the parking company ASAP without thinking twice

That's good to hear. I don't really have any parked domains which is why I'm soliciting both sides of the debate here (as I run into this on a daily basis while researching domains, so obviously there are many domainers that don't have a problem with the practice).

•••
That's not necessarily true: many domainers likely don't know. Like me, I've heard of SEDO and decided to try them. But I don't ever really look to see what kinda ads they show. If I learn something bad, I do something about it. Many domainers likely never hear of these things: they merely look out for the checks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back