.mobi Is .MOBI really dead?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

sky

Established Member
Impact
40
Hi,

I just reg'ed a couple of .COMs, and a friend suggested I get the .MOBI extension for the names to since it is also applicable for cell phones, etc...

But I'm thinking it's a waste of money and little use to me from the standpoint of making any profits in any form whatsoever, ever and even of little or no use to end users.

Is there any data to support or refute this bias I've developed based on hearsay over the past few months?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
heh... what pub are you coming from?
 
0
•••
A good litmus test will be on April 20, when TechSupport.mobi is auctioned at Bido.
 
0
•••
noonoo1 said:
Just remember .mobi was created specifically for mobile/pda devices.


NO OTHER TLD IS SPECIFICALLY CREATED FOR USE ON A MOBILE/PDA:sold:


:hehe:
But just as generic keyword domains tend to be worth more than niche-specific domains, I.M.O. .com, .net, ... almost any of the more popular TLD is preferable to .MOBI, especially if you think of .MOBI as being *just* for mobile devices, because you're ruling out multiple uses and channels whereby people will visit your service.

The thing to remember is a generic TLD can render output differently by media type and recognize when a mobile deviceis the client and respond with the same format a .MOBI would. I don't think the public is really as excited about clicking on .MOBI as .COM, so what's the marketing advantage? I don't see it. As far as pure aesthetic goes (look and feel) .MOBI has to be at the bottom of the list.

And major .COMS that are savvy do render properly for mobile devices, and the wise cellphone internet surfer won't limit their web searches to .MOBI. Therefore: What's the advantage of a 'cell specific' domain, in lieu of the more generic .COM?

If I were going to do a .MOBI service (and I actually am working with someone on an iPhone app), I sure want to be sure I've got an appropriate .COM registered, whereas .MOBI is a secondary consideration. The problem with a .MOBI first approach for cellular oriented sites is that the .COM is likely to be taken. So if I register ReallyHotName.mobi, chances are I won't be able to get the .COM (as of this writing ReallyHotName.com is still available :) )
 
Last edited:
0
•••
verbster said:
A good litmus test will be on April 20, when TechSupport.mobi is auctioned at Bido.

bido isn't a litmus test for anything tbh

nothing to do with .mobi or .com
they generally sell crap names and they undersell. so this is an okay name, suited to ext. etc.
but i doubt will go for more than $300 tops imo. maybe only $80
have you seen their results at bido?
 
0
•••
Pred said:
bido isn't a litmus test for anything tbh

Agreed. And frankly I don't see auctions in general being much of a test of anything except domain speculator interest since that's who usually attends the auctions. Sure speculators get excited when a mobi sells for great money, or when a great generic sells for a pittance, but the metric to pay attention to is actual usage of .mobi domains.

As to auction prices in general, remember that the final price of any domain in auction isn't the highest value the winner placed on it, it's the highest value the loser placed on it. So even in auction we're not finding the real value of a domain, even in the speculator community.

sky said:
But just as generic keyword domains tend to be worth more than niche-specific domains, it seems like a .COM, .NET, etc... almost any of the TLDs is preferable to .MOBI if you think of .MOBI as being *just* for mobile devices.

You say that like it's a black mark against the TLD, if you understand that mobile will overtake PC web then you'd see things differently.

sky said:
A generic TLD can render output differently by media type and recognize when a mobile deviceis the client and respond with the same format a .MOBI would.

And a mobi can also support a PC user... where does this notion that .mobi sites can't be used by PC users come from?

sky said:
The fact that many .COMs, do render properly for mobile devices, cellphone users are not likely to limit their web searches to .MOBI domains.

The fact is that most .com sites do nothing for mobile users. It's not about limiting search results to strictly .mobi sites, its how does a user know a site is friendly to their mobile device?

sky said:
It probably can't hurt anymore than the pocketbook to register the .MOBI along with the .COM (or other popular TLD), but I don't think I'd really want a .MOBI in lieu of the other, which makes it a bit tough, because the good 'better' TLDs are used up to a greater extent. For example if I get ReallyHotName.mobi, chances are I won't be able to get the .COM, and I'd really want both in most cases.

I'm happy to have the great generic .mobi domains I have and making sure mobile users have friendly content available at the .mobi sites I build. Sure it would be great to also have debt.com, but debt.mobi is reaching the ever growing pool of mobile users.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
scandiman said:
You say that like it's a black mark against the TLD, if you understand that mobile will overtake PC web then you'd see things differently.
I think it just means that other sites will start respecting the media of the clients better (ie. mobile or PC) and provide client-tuned services. I'm not as convinced as you are that this slow trend ensures a burgeoning .MOBI space.

scandiman said:
And a mobi can also support a PC user... where does this notion that .mobi sites can't be used by PC users come from?
It is my response to someone who earlier in this thread posted that .MOBI is *just* for mobile devices or something like that. I realize nothing prevents a .MOBI device for rendering in other ways, but it sure sounds like it is meant for mobile devices.

I think it is easier for cell users to accept that a .COM or a .NET will render on their cellphone properly than for the average Internet surfer to be inclined to click on a site named .MOBI and expect PC-type browser output.

scandiman said:
The fact is that most .com sites do nothing for mobile users. It's not about limiting search results to strictly .mobi sites, its how does a user know a site is friendly to their mobile device?
That's true, but key services do, and increasingly so. I have an iPhone; when I bring up Safari on it, I search for terms without searching for .MOBI specifically.

scandiman said:
I'm happy to have the great generic .mobi domains I have and making sure mobile users have friendly content available at the .mobi sites I build. Sure it would be great to also have debt.com, but debt.mobi is reaching the ever growing pool of mobile users.
That sounds good. More power to you. I'm wishing you well and all the success in the world. It isn't like I'm not lost in the weeds with my .PRO investments. .MOBI probably has a better chance than .PRO of growing into something. I can see the argument going either way, I guess, still... For the advantages that .MOBI offers, I can see other trends that counteract or dilute it, but on the other hand, I can see how if the public was made smarter they could eventually become more open to .MOBI.

But I think one strike against .MOBI is how it sounds. Unfortunately I think that like it or not, people either "like it or not", and I don't think that .MOBI as a word is as 'likeable' as others, whether or not it is semantically appropriate.

These are a combination of my feelings, personal sense, along with my experiences as internet-enabled cellphone user and PC-browser person. You make some very good points, and I'm definitely seeing the merits of your case.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
sky said:
I think it is easier for cell users to accept that a .COM or a .NET will render on their cellphone properly than for the average Internet surfer to be inclined to click on a site named .MOBI and expect PC-type browser output.
Yes, I can agree with you here, but as long as mobile users click on my .mobi sites then I'm a happy camper.

sky said:
That's true, but key services do, and increasingly so. I have an iPhone; when I bring up Safari on it, I search for terms without searching for .MOBI specifically.
I also don't search specifically for .mobi sites, but when using google on my phone I do search only for mobile results. Most PC sites are a nightmare to use or kill my phone entirely, and even when I've used an iPhone I much prefer a quick mobile site over a full PC site even if it does render. I can accept some people don't mind the full PC site on their phone but clearly as you've pointed out even the major PC sites out there have adapted to mobile users so I'm concluding I'm in the majority who want a mobile friendly experience.

sky said:
That sounds good. More power to you. I'm wishing you well and all the success in the world. It isn't like I'm not lost in the weeds with my .PRO investments. .MOBI probably has a better chance than .PRO of growing into something. I can see the argument going either way, I guess, still... For the advantages that .MOBI offers, I can see other trends that counteract or dilute it, but on the other hand, I can see how if the public was made smarter they could eventually become more open to .MOBI.
Similarly I wish you all success with your .pro investments, I don't view the web as a zero sum game, there will be successes in emerging TLD's and not necessarily at the expense of the others. I've got a few .pro domains for my own professional use, the com would cost me mid six figures at least (assuming it were even for sale) and these will serve my needs just fine.

sky said:
But I think one strike against .MOBI is how it sounds. Unfortunately I think that like it or not, people either "like it or not", and I don't think that .MOBI as a word is as 'likeable' as others, whether or not it is semantically appropriate.
With all the "regular" people I've shared .mobi with I have yet to hear such a reaction so I'm convinced this view is held in the domain community alone. Everyone I've talked with simply accepts what .mobi is about and they like the idea, especially if they are mobile web users (and most of those have seen or heard of .mobi on their own at some point).

sky said:
These are a combination of my feelings, personal sense, along with my experiences as internet-enabled cellphone user and PC-browser person. You make some very good points, and I'm definitely seeing the merits of your case.
I give you a lot of credit for being an actual mobile web user, it makes your comments so much more meaningful. I'm curious, do you prefer using weather.mobi or weather.com on your phone?
 
0
•••
scandiman said:
And a mobi can also support a PC user... where does this notion that .mobi sites can't be used by PC users come from?

this is something people forget
i'm wondering why so many people are only developing for mobile. thats 'almost' as dumb as the people not catering for it.
i no longer just serve mobile content on new sites, .mobi domains in particular.

i have full blown for laptop, pc and mobile for mobile users
you have the choice of device detection, but i'm thinking of running with a splashpage for my latest site. let them choose what site they want.

someone on a company phone contract may not care that videos are going to cost a kings ransom and have them hanging around waiting for load times, same with slowloading pages and navigating.
others may have state of the art phones and browsers and not be so bothered. others may be on a real tight time and money budget.
others (majority of world) will have no access to a pc ( in the developing world) and need info , quick, on the go. visas, banking , news, aid ,etc, and they aren't getting an iphone anytime soon either.

south africa is the largest viewer of mobi sites, and adoption, along with europe. for different reasons

theres flipsides to all this. theres nothing you cant do with a .mobi you cant do with device detection on a .ws but branding is huge, along with guarantees, along with the masses of companies adopting and promoting. biggies. more everyday. from insurance companies, to universities, to joe bloggs to microsoft etc.

there isn't a 'new' extension getting adopted, used and promoted like this. not one. take away existing strong cctlds and .com, none. not even a small percentage of .mobis success, so far

much more to come, every day
 
0
•••
scandiman said:
I give you a lot of credit for being an actual mobile web user, it makes your comments so much more meaningful. I'm curious, do you prefer using weather.mobi or weather.com on your phone?
I usually just use Google in the iPhone Safari browser and visit websites as I would on a PC. At first the interface seems awkward because you have to get used to the feeling of the phone, expanding, shrinking and moving content and rotating the phone between portrait and landscape to optimize the view for the content; but once you get facile with that, browsing non-iPhone-optimized content isn't half bad -- for reading.

For filling out forms, it's a hassle; then you really want an app suited to the screen. My point is, I think people usually just use google to look up the news or use websites as they would on a PC within limits. I think iPhone is going set the trend to make mobile devices accommodate non-mobile-media-optimized sites.

But it won't replace good mobile optimized Internet and local applications though. The question I wrestle with though is, will people be looking for .MOBI to do that ultimately, or will they find other ways to recognize or locate media-sensitive sites, and will it matter in the long run?
 
Last edited:
0
•••
snoop said:
scandiman said:
With all the "regular" people I've shared .mobi with I have yet to hear such a reaction so I'm convinced this view is held in the domain community alone. Everyone I've talked with simply accepts what .mobi is about and they like the idea, especially if they are mobile web users (and most of those have seen or heard of .mobi on their own at some point).

Probably because you just told them you bought a whole lot of them. Personally of the people I have told about .mobi, most think it sounds like junk. If you really want to get honest views (rather than just a reflection of what you think) a proper survey would be needed. Compare it to buying a new pair of jeans, very few people will tell you "gee they look terrible on you". :lol:

My domain investments weren't part of the discussion (.com or .mobi) and I'm not misrepresenting the positive response I've received. But I can just imagine how you present the concept of .mobi to anyone.

verbster said:
As to auction prices in general, remember that the final price of any domain in auction isn't the highest value the winner placed on it, it's the highest value the loser placed on it. So even in auction we're not finding the real value of a domain, even in the speculator community.
I guess that's a matter of perspective depending on the final price and who the bidders are. What you say may be true when the price is lower than expected, but what about when higher?

I'm accurately expressing the facts of any auction. If I am willing to spend $20k on a domain and no one else in the room is willing to spend over $10k, I'll win the domain for one bid increment over $10k because no one is willing to bid higher except for me. So I will be able to buy the domain at 1/2 of its value.
 
0
•••
scandiman said:
But I can just imagine how you present the concept of .mobi to anyone.

Given the way you generally post about this extension (ie extreme cheerleading) I probably present it in the *exact opposite* way to you. :sold:

scandiman said:
I'm accurately expressing the facts of any auction. If I am willing to spend $20k on a domain and no one else in the room is willing to spend over $10k, I'll win the domain for one bid increment over $10k because no one is willing to bid higher except for me. So I will be able to buy the domain at 1/2 of its value.

That doesn't make sense. If the auction respresnts a liquid market your inital valuation of 20k was too high. The auction may or may not have saved you 10k but that doesn't mean you got it for less than it is worth.
 
0
•••
...says the guy who plugged his .mobi domain as the "litmus test."

if that isnt hype i dunno what is..

and you're wrong.
Ah! You want to secretly bid on that .mobi, don't you, you funny little rascal.
 
0
•••
verbster said:
Ah! You want to secretly bid on that .mobi, don't you, you funny little rascal.


you got me.
 
0
•••
Egnited said:
I'm not saying that ALL end users are willing to pay more than a reseller.

That is not what you said previously, you even highlighted the key word yourself,

Egnited said:
A domain always has greater value to someone who has an actual use for it, than to a reseller.
 
0
•••
Whoa...did a page of postings disappear, or what?
 
0
•••
0
•••
If we assume that the mobile web will be the main web in a few years time, and that if you say 'I was surfing the web', it most likely means you did it via your phone. That if you are a website developer, you are primarily developing mobile websites.

If the mobile web is the web, and the pc web is a smaller niche, does this scenario make any mobi sceptics reconsider their positions?
 
0
•••
It's amazing how the .mobi extension has just died in popularity so quickly.
Sadly it was predicted by many but not everyone listened.
 
0
•••
devzealot said:
It's amazing how the .mobi extension has just died in popularity so quickly.
Sadly it was predicted by many but not everyone listened.

Its amazing how it didn't die at all and is growing steadily, but people on this forum keep saying its dead.
 
0
•••
mo_dork said:
Its amazing how it didn't die at all and is growing steadily, but people on this forum keep saying its dead.

Don't see it as being dormant but it is not as popular as in the past but that seems to mostly relate to domainers.

I also see a fair number of big firms such as espn and banks promoting their .mobi sites.
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: flexible LTO options. Close more domain deals with financing.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back