.mobi Is .MOBI really dead?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

sky

Established Member
Impact
40
Hi,

I just reg'ed a couple of .COMs, and a friend suggested I get the .MOBI extension for the names to since it is also applicable for cell phones, etc...

But I'm thinking it's a waste of money and little use to me from the standpoint of making any profits in any form whatsoever, ever and even of little or no use to end users.

Is there any data to support or refute this bias I've developed based on hearsay over the past few months?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
yea we had the funeral on April 1st.
 
0
•••
sky said:
Hi,

I just reg'ed a couple of .COMs, and a friend suggested I get the .MOBI extension for the names to since it is also applicable for cell phones, etc...

But I'm thinking it's a waste of money and little use to me from the standpoint of making any profits in any form whatsoever, ever and even of little or no use to end users.

Is there any data to support or refute this bias I've developed based on hearsay over the past few months?

Its dead among Domainers - but very successful with End Users! Development is the only purpose for this extension - buying and selling will not go far!
 
0
•••
24HourDomainer said:
Its dead among Domainers - but very successful with End Users! Development is the only purpose for this extension - buying and selling will not go far!

I disagree about what you said about domainers. I agree what you said regarding end users.

There is a huge community of domainers that are focused on .MOBI, who have invested into premium .MOBI domains and are working on development.

Saying that it's dead among domainers is short-sighted. Lots of crap was registered, and it's not an extension that I'm a "fan" of - however MANY domainers continue to experience success with this extension.

-Galel
 
0
•••
i am finally closing a transaction with an end-user that contacted me more than 2 months ago... the domain they are buying i registered maybe 4 months ago on the drop for $8 and i couldnt even sell on the forums for $20.... total profit once escrow closes: $1,792 USD

i actually told this end user that they can go register any other .mobi for $8 and that "i just registered this domain a few months ago".... ;)
 
0
•••
mjnels said:
i am finally closing a transaction with an end-user that contacted me more than 2 months ago... the domain they are buying i registered maybe 4 months ago on the drop for $8 and i couldnt even sell on the forums for $20.... total profit once escrow closes: $1,792 USD

i actually told this end user that they can go register any other .mobi for $8 and that "i just registered this domain a few months ago".... ;)

WOW! That's amazing :kickass:

Congratulations to the sale!
 
0
•••
Galel said:
I disagree about what you said about domainers. I agree what you said regarding end users.

There is a huge community of domainers that are focused on .MOBI, who have invested into premium .MOBI domains and are working on development.

Saying that it's dead among domainers is short-sighted. Lots of crap was registered, and it's not an extension that I'm a "fan" of - however MANY domainers continue to experience success with this extension.

-Galel

Care to point to sales that are taking place among Domainers? I have not seen one since 2007!
 
0
•••
24HourDomainer said:
Care to point to sales that are taking place among Domainers? I have not seen one since 2007!

Go ahead and scroll up and read mjnels' post. ;)

2007? :lol:
 
0
•••
Galel said:
Go ahead and scroll up and read mjnels' post. ;)

2007? :lol:

yes END USER! - Domainers would not even offer $8

mjnels said:
i am finally closing a transaction with an end-user that contacted me more than 2 months ago... the domain they are buying i registered maybe 4 months ago on the drop for $8 and i couldnt even sell on the forums for $20.... total profit once escrow closes: $1,792 USD

i actually told this end user that they can go register any other .mobi for $8 and that "i just registered this domain a few months ago".... ;)
 
0
•••
People still selling will tell you that it's not dead but growing. Others will tell you not to bother. I open every website on my first generation iphone and that tells me what I need to know going ahead...

I'd buy the .net and .org of those .com's before the .mobi if your goal is resale or traffic capture.
 
0
•••
24HourDomainer said:
yes END USER! - Domainers would not even offer $8
its a fair point and i agree with you... but what you said can actually be interpreted 2 different ways. being "dead among domainers", meaning its hard to flip newly registered names to another domainer...i agree with.


but you also said:

24HourDomainer said:
Development is the only purpose for this extension - buying and selling will not go far!
i buy .mobi domains with the sole intent to sell them with zero development... whether i have to sell 100 of them to domainers for a smaller profit per domain.... or sell 1 to an end user for the same profit makes no difference to me.

and so far, i have never registered even 1 .mobi domain with development plans... it is all about pure play domaining for me - otherwise known as buying and selling.
 
0
•••
mjnels said:
its a fair point and i agree with you... but what you said can actually be interpreted 2 different ways. being "dead among domainers", meaning its hard to flip newly registered names to another domainer...i agree with.


but you also said:


i buy .mobi domains with the sole intent to sell them with zero development... whether i have to sell 100 of them to domainers for a smaller profit per domain.... or sell 1 to an end user for the same profit makes no difference to me.

and so far, i have never registered even 1 .mobi domain with development plans... it is all about pure play domaining for me - otherwise known as buying and selling.


I agree , we both know each other for a long time now. You know and I know your domain list is huge and reg since land rush! You own premium, great .mobi's - the rest of the crowed buys junk and tries to resell for $1 million to other Domainers.

Im a .mobi supporter! .mobi is long term as I always have stated.
 
0
•••
If it is a one word premium then it might be worth a little more than 8 bucks. If it is all the other junk that I see here then it is crap to own. I repeat, One word (not misspelled) or it is crap.
 
0
•••
Well if your in New York visit LibertyIsland.mobi

.mobi is not dead its just Growing up.....
 
0
•••
Some people still say .biz isn't dead, though it is a heck of a lot less people than 5 years ago.

Yes the .mobi extension is toast, that doesn't mean we won't see occasional 4 or even low 5 figure sales that will excite the 'cheerleaders', but 95%-100% of value has been wiped out, depending on the quality of the name. The the reality is nothing like past expectations.

Think of the current market like a balloon with a bit of air still left in it, some people will hold out hope,

'look at all these bargains, so much less than 2007!'

The truth is those people are probably just the piece of tape covering the hole, all they are doing is slowing the leak.

Expect prices to underperform the rest of the market for years while people come to grips with it, just like other hyped up alt extensions have done. The big buyers (promoters?) have gone, the people who followed them are bust, the "backers" and MTLD are in the back room counting the cash.

Is it worth regging the .mobi of the .com you just registered? I think the answer is pretty obvious.
 
0
•••
snoop said:
Some people still say .biz isn't dead, though it is a heck of a lot less people than 5 years ago.

Yes the .mobi extension is toast, that doesn't mean we won't see occasional 4 or even low 5 figure sales that will excite the 'cheerleaders', but 95%-100% of value has been wiped out, depending on the quality of the name. The the reality is nothing like past expectations.

Think of the current market like a balloon with a bit of air still left in it, some people will hold out hope,

'look at all these bargains, so much less than 2007!'

The truth is those people are probably just the piece of tape covering the hole, all they are doing is slowing the leak.

Expect prices to underperform the rest of the market for years while people come to grips with it, just like other hyped up alt extensions have done. The big buyers (promoters?) have gone, the people who followed them are bust, the "backers" and MTLD are in the back room counting the cash.

Is it worth regging the .mobi of the .com you just registered? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Wow Snoop, such negativity. I just read the thread where someone was experiencing an increase in traffic the other day, so I parked one of my .mobi names at Sedo. 24 hours later 11 visits and two clicks.

.mobi time of death, to be determined. It is showing a pulse. If a .mobi name parked earns more than the reg fee in a year, than even a stuborn domainer could appreciate that.
 
0
•••
.Mobi's seem like its worth the risk

It seems a little odd that peoples major complaint against the .mobi ext is that only end users are interested ...hello!! isn't that the ultimate customer?

MovieTickets.mobi recently sold for $3600 on Sedo and a number of other big sales including one over $100,000 recently. A number of big companies are using the extension so regardless of what most people may think, someone is convincing them that it is a worthwhile extension to have due to the technology and so on.

I think the trick with this extension is you need to be very selective and really put yourself in the mind of the end user more than most other extensions.
 
0
•••
Bodhi said:
I just read the thread where someone was experiencing an increase in traffic the other day, so I parked one of my .mobi names at Sedo. 24 hours later 11 visits and two clicks.

2 clicks? Not exactly a compelling argument.

Bodhi said:
If a .mobi name parked earns more than the reg fee in a year, than even a stuborn domainer could appreciate that.

How often do you see a .mobi advertised that genuinely is paying its reg fee in parking revenue?

Highestlevel said:
big sales including one over $100,000 recently.

Such as?
 
0
•••
I agree! The only way to make money in mobi is to have domains that end users will pay for! This means only domains that have a specific commercial focus.
 
0
•••
snoop said:
2 clicks? Not exactly a compelling argument.

2 clicks in 24 hours, I'm happy with that. That one just might pay for reg fee, we will have to wait and see.
 
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back