Dynadot

opinion Is it safe to use Whois Privacy on valuable domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Amar D

Established Member
Impact
Is it safe to use Whois Privacy on valuable domains?

Can the registry steal the domain because their email is displayed in the Whois info?

Can the registry masked email unforward the icann-based emails to original email, the confrimations?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You are probably confusing registry and registrar.
Can the registrar steal a domain ? Well, technically they can.
I have seen at least one registrar quietly repossessing valuable (expired) domains. No auctions, the domain just vanishes to their portfolio :) And then gets sold later :)
While some would call that theft, technically their TOS probably allow them to take possession of abandoned domains. Anyway.

Whether you use the whois privacy service provided by the registrar, or a third party service, there are implications indeed. You are basically listing them as owner in the whois record.
In case of a dispute (eg spam complaint), the registrar could cancel the domain, and close your account, regardless of whether there is whois privacy on. A third party service will not have direct access to your registrar account but may terminate the service to you and lift the whois privacy (then you quickly fix that).

But rather than use privacy, I would incorporate and list the corporation as owner. As you may know, whois data tends to be archived by a number of sites and even indexed in Google, not to mention Icann-mandated data escrow services (ie Iron Mountain). Not using whois privacy leaves an ownership trail.

That being said, I am certain that some registrars are more trustworthy than others. Do research :)

•••
For the mosty part, yes it is safe. For the small print, heed Kate's post.

And private whois will still allow you to receive emails from people. But you have to remove whois privacy for transfers.

•••
Thanks @Kate for the answer, and what do you think: leave ownership trail or not?

•••
I am pro-privacy by principle, but I have never owned a domain name personally, they have always been registered to corporations. So I don't mind listing a corporation in the whois record.
If you are an individual, you can make up your own whois privacy with a PO box and a virtual phone number, and a dedicated E-mail address. Don't put fake info in the whois though ! The records should be accurate and the domain holder must be reachable.
And if you have valuable domains, there are couple things to consider:
  • use a reputable registrar, not a reseller, a webhost or some fly by night company. Don't be lured by cheap prices.
  • Maintain your own list of domain names with relevant anniversary dates. Never ever rely on the courtesy reminders from your registrar (may be flagged as spam and not delivered).
  • Leave passwords in a safe place somewhere for your spouse or heirs with instructions on how to proceed in case of an accident (stuff happens).
  • Renew domains ahead, don't wait until the last day to renew or transfer away.
  • And of course keep all invoices, related E-mails and credit card statements. This is your ownership trail.

•••
Thanks for the detailed answer. I think that I will use Internet.bs (TRS) , and renew the domain for the next 10 years. I keep always domain names away from my hosting & dns provider.

Internet.bs + Cloudflare DNS + Google Suite for Email + Another hosting for webspace.

and all secured by 2FA.

Last edited:
•••
Is it safe to use Whois Privacy on valuable domains?

Every name I have is on privacy...best move I ever made. The tire kickers and a vast majority of those trying to sell something or those letting me know I will be rich once I send money to some random country are weeded out.

Just make sure the name has a good landing page so offers and/or purchases can me made. Some will even use the anonymous email to contact you through 'who is'. When this happens I respond with a throw away email address and direct them to the landing page to buy or make an offer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back