IT.COM

Is it safe to transfer a domain to a hosting company?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HB

Established Member
Impact
If I transfer an existing domain name to a hosting company for the sake of savings on the transfer charge (its offers a better price), but do not use its hosting service, is there any risks in this domain transfer? For instance when I want to transfer out again soon, will the hosting company have any leverage to prevent me from doing so?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I admit that for a year I used the same hosting company as my primary (then) registrar. It was convenient and efficient and I got good deals. I never had any problems then or later. However, after discussion on NPs I became convinced that there were potential issues of a hosted site possibly leading to action whereby a registrar/hosting company would freeze or force transfer of all assets. As a result I now use a hosting company that is not one of the registrars I use for domains.

Since most companies offer both I see no issue in registering with a company offering both as long as they do not host your sites, and that is your situation as I understand it.

I'm a big believer in getting the best deal on costs and those few dollars add up across a portfolio.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
De jure they don't have any rights to block the transfer-out.

•••
I agree re your rights to transfer out @Jurgen Wolf, although if one had a large portfolio especially of new extensions the sudden cost might be significant, not to mention the work and 60 day locks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back