NameSilo

Is It Possible To Sell A Domain Name Directly To The Buyer ?

Labeled as question in Domain Selling and Domain Sales started by blue crystal, Aug 1, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. blue crystal

blue crystal Upgraded Member Blue Account

Is it possible to sell a domain name directly to the buyer without the registrar as intermediary ?

How it can be done ?

What are the precautions one should take ?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. korganian

korganian Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

By any payment method you agree on.

3. gilescoley

gilescoley Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I dont understand the question? A domain has to be transferred to a registrar? It has to be registered somewhere.

4. blue crystal

My doubt is on how to make a safe transaction.
    I would like to receive the money before I transfer the domain name to the buyer. But wouldn't the buyer need some guaranty that this would be done ?
    Perhaps a contract would provide such assurance ?

5. blue crystal

It is obvious. What I meant is a selling negotiation done outside of the registrar's marketplace.

6. NameDeck

NameDeck Design. Develop. Deploy. VIP

Just draw up a contract if the amount is worth the hassle. I do it all the time. It really depends on who you are selling to though. If you're selling to someone on the other end of the world a contract isn't gonna help in case they don't pay.

Legally it does but expect to spend a fair amount of lawyer fees to collect the money if they default.

The safest way is always using an escrow service. It's worth the small commission for your peace of mind. I'd recommend DAN or Epik.

7. gilescoley

gilescoley Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Its not obvious as you had to explain that part. If a buyer approaches you via email or phone call and not via a platform like Sedo or Godaddy, then yes you can. If they make an offer via Sedo then you negotiate via Sedo. You arent given their contact details anyway so you cant approach the buyer directly.

Create your own landing page with a "Make Offer" and you email address and then you can do private negotiations all you want, as well agreeing on any registrar to transfer to and any payment method as well (Escrow, Paypal, wire transfer etc)

8. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Top Member VIP

Contract + E-Transfer

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  9. biggie

biggie Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

you should always get payment, before transferring the domain
    that is your safety net

if buyer is doubtful, then use escrow.com or other service that will facilitate the payment and transfer process.

however, I haven't had any issue with a buyer want any guaranty, since they all contact me,
    or initiate purchase of the domain of interest thru platforms like sedo afternic, internettraffic, etc.

list your names with those and other services and you won't have to worry about such issues.

imo….

10. lightbear

lightbear Upgraded Member Gold Account

same question for me...

11. lightbear

lightbear Upgraded Member Gold Account

Some buyers want Paypal... is there a way to use Paypal so funds secure for seller until transfer complete? OR do you think this idea could work? I would list Paypal as a payment method with this in description ("re: Paypal: 1. Make payment to my Paypal account - when agreement, will email you; 2. Then I will push Godaddy or send auth code for moving elsewhere".

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: