Dynadot

Is it Jewelry or Jewellery?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NetworkPearl

Top Member
Impact
Hi guys,

I’m planning to open an international e-commerce website related to jewelry but first looking for the category defining 2 word .com domain name. I have the option to opt for jewelry or Jewellery.

The domain with Jewellery spelling seems to be available for $8k ( I’m willing to pay about that much ) on afternic whereas the Jewelry one seems to be owned by a big company and more valuable as per my research.

Not sure what the correct spelling is so I don’t want to waste my money on the wrong spelled domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As mentioned before, why not "jewels"? It should be known to both Americans, Brits, Australians, Indians and many more and is easier to spell in my opinion.
i think Jewels only matches if the Jewelry actually has some type of gemstone. There are many jewelry designs that don't incorporate any type of stones so I don't think it would be a good fit.

•••
i think Jewels only matches if the Jewelry actually has some type of gemstone. There are many jewelry designs that don't incorporate any type of stones so I don't think it would be a good fit.

Yes, that could be the case. I don't know much about this industry ;)

•••
I don't know.. I mean this is so confusing. Jewel..jewelry..jewellery.. it's all Chinese if it's not American. Perhaps just go with like bling-woot.com, satisfy everyone.

•••
I would prefer Jewelry. It is the US spelling, and it is somewhat popular almost everywhere.

Brad

•••
Must have both in my opinion.

•••
As mentioned before, why not "jewels"? It should be known to both Americans, Brits, Australians, Indians and many more and is easier to spell in my opinion.
imo "jewels" are the stones that are set in jewelry.
Diamonds, rubies, emeralds and such, these are jewels.
Jewelry designates all forms, bracelets, necklaces, rings, broaches, etc. that may or may not include jewels.

Just from an old (American) jewelry sellers point of view.

Peace,
Kenny

•••
I think all the New GTLD's listed on Afternic for jewellery are way over-priced. IMHO.

I noticed they were selling Jewellery.Jewelry which might solve your dilemma over spelling.

Last edited:
•••
The Google results test (at least for me here in Canada) are pretty even, 3.88 M for jewelry and 2.5 M for jewellery. Some stores use one some the other in my Canadian city. A name with two spellings is always problematic, as noted by others.

Personally, if it was me, this is one application where I might not go for the exact word, but rather go for a brandable made up word that incorporates the word somehow and is spelled how it is pronounced.

Best wishes for your project.

Bob

•••
imo "jewels" are the stones that are set in jewelry.
Diamonds, rubies, emeralds and such, these are jewels.
Jewelry designates all forms, bracelets, necklaces, rings, broaches, etc. that may or may not include jewels.

Just from an old (American) jewelry sellers point of view.

Peace,
Kenny

then there is also the term BIJOU (french: BIJOUX), for jewelry that does not include jewels.

Example:
https://www.bijou-brigitte.com

:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
In this case, I would go for one that is shorter, easier to spell and the more popular.

•••
•••
•••
As has been mentioned, jewelry is the US spelling while jewellery is the UK spelling.

Based on that, MOST English speaking countries go with the latter.

I guess it comes down to your target market.

If it's a worldwide market, I would get both if available.

FYI - I'm in New Zealand (a commonwealth country - so UK spelling). Google returns 3.8billion results for jewelry, 4.5billion results for jewellery. BUT.....even if you search for jewelry, all the SERPs are for jewellery.

Hope that helps.

•••
Hi guys,

I’m planning to open an international e-commerce website related to jewelry but first looking for the category defining 2 word .com domain name. I have the option to opt for jewelry or Jewellery.

The domain with Jewellery spelling seems to be available for $8k ( I’m willing to pay about that much ) on afternic whereas the Jewelry one seems to be owned by a big company and more valuable as per my research.

Not sure what the correct spelling is so I don’t want to waste my money on the wrong spelled domain.

Jewelry = USA

Jewellery = UK/India

Just like,

Traveler = USA

Traveller = UK/India

•••
What did you conclude and get?

•••
What did you conclude and get?
Got a similar jewelry domain. Would check how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

•••
In Nigeria we use a combination... The American spelling has rub off me lol. I prefer to spell "center" instead of "centre", I guess being here on namepros played a role to that as well.
Despite the effects of Hollywood and social media, Nigeria is still UK English down to the educational system.

•••
Jewellery is the British spelling and Jewelry is the U.S. spelling. Jewelry is the most popular version.

•••
Both are good, I've had much better luck with "jewellery" rather than "jewelry", perhaps because it's a little easier to get good "jewellery" names?

But don't mention "bling" that word is not going well!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back