NameSilo

Is it Jewelry or Jewellery?

Located in General Domain Discussion started by NetworkPearl, Aug 8, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. NetworkPearl

NetworkPearl Top Member VIP

Hi guys,

I’m planning to open an international e-commerce website related to jewelry but first looking for the category defining 2 word .com domain name. I have the option to opt for jewelry or Jewellery.

The domain with Jewellery spelling seems to be available for $8k ( I’m willing to pay about that much ) on afternic whereas the Jewelry one seems to be owned by a big company and more valuable as per my research.

Not sure what the correct spelling is so I don’t want to waste my money on the wrong spelled domain.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. HotKey

HotKey Made in Canada VIP

Hmm, very interesting question. I can totally see why you opened a thread on this. But, before we begin, have you considered consulting an online dictionary, a real dictionary, Google, or your local librarian? Bet you could even ask your phone, they're supposed to be smart.

3. NetworkPearl

It seems Jewellery is spelled in British English where as Jewelry in USA. But since my website will be international it’s hard to opt for either one.

4. Tunababa8v

Tunababa8v Established Member

Jewelry is the american definition while jewellery is the british definition.

If you are targeting american audience, use jewelry otherwise use jewellery.

5. Larion

Larion Established Member

many jewelry-stores are just using the word "JEWEL".
    Just search for this term. You will be surprised.

There is also a fashion platform (which was purchased by a big bank) using the term:
    https://usejewel.com

We have a nice domain in this area, but much more expensive as what you are looking for.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. cooljub

cooljub Established Member

I think for search purposes it doesn't really matter too much as they're considered the same and results for both will show up.
    Jewellery :xf.wink:

7. HotKey

HotKey Made in Canada VIP

Just pick the one you like more, I think people will get the idea. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Personally, I don't think it's as confusing as gray vs grey, for example. Agree with cooljub, I like jewellery more.

For additional food-for-thought, Donuts has the gTLD extension .jewelry, but there is no .jewellery, so there ya have it. They are an American company however, but I'm sure they aren't looking for just American proprietors on that extension.

8. onni

onni Domainer VIP

Jewelry in the US. Jewellery in the UK and Australia. I'm not sure about other countries.

9. Internet.Domains

Internet.Domains Top Member VIP

According to some data I quickly glanced at:

* China and the USA are the largest markets.

* The largest jeweler's by market share use "jewelry" in their domain.

A more detailed analysis may be needed. In addition, your target market should be factored.

10. hookbox

hookbox Top Member VIP

Jewellery is the British spelling and Jewelry is the U.S. spelling. Jewelry is by far the most popular version.

11. DomainFQ.com

DomainFQ.com Contact : [email protected] Gold Account

12. MasterOfMyDomains

MasterOfMyDomains Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

13. VaibhavA

VaibhavA Top Member VIP

Both are good. You must buy both to protect your brand.

14. NetworkPearl

Okay so the Jewellery one is available for $7K from afternic after confirmation from their agent. Will try to get the Jewelry one first and purchase this one later once business goes well.

15. Anne L.

Anne L. Upgraded Member Blue Account

Jewelry.

Identifying the market:

1. Google Trends

Data: Search Volume of Google Shoppers (note: buyers not just web info searchers)

USA - Large Gap between Jewelry and Jewellery. Jewellery minimal market compared to Jewelry.

UK - Jewellery higher but jewelry has a comparable market, too

jewelry-usa.jpg

jewellery-uk.jpg

2. Google Auto Search

jewelry-search-volume.jpg

jewellery-search-volume.jpg

3. Related Keywords

jewelry-usa-keywords.jpg

jewellery-keywords.jpg

4. COST

Where are you located? Where will you be charged the highest or the least shipping cost?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  16. Surender Singh

Surender Singh meritjet.com

I am living in India & its first time I am reading it as jewelry. Here we use UK english, so here jewellery is known only. Can't say about any other country. You should go with the target audience.

17. jideofor

jideofor Top Member VIP

In Nigeria we use a combination... The American spelling has rub off me lol. I prefer to spell "center" instead of "centre", I guess being here on namepros played a role to that as well.

18. loredan

loredan Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Jewellery is the correct english form of this word. In every country across the globe people learn english at school not some mambo jambo american dialect so I believe "jewellery" should be your choice.

Of course "jewelry" is more popular in the US so if your target is mainly the US go for this one.

Our american friends butchered the english language in the last 200 years or so :)

19. topdom

topdom Established Member

Google says it is either Jewelry or Jewellery, so both works.
    A company has Jewelery or Jewellry (I don't remember which one), and I contacted them to sell the correct version. They just ignored. People always always always ignore, unless they have to respond.

Sound comes first, text was invented later. English language doesn't have a perfect alphabet. Letter c is read as s or k and never read as c. There is no c sound in english (or it might be g, but g doesn't have unique sound either). German language is better in this sense.
    Which one is correct for UK: britain, britten, britagne. Ok it is britain, but maybe because it was decided this way, not because it was obvious.

20. hookbox

hookbox Top Member VIP

Don't waste your money. If you ask 10 people on the street in a U.S. market not one person would spell it Jewellery unless you asked the question in an area that has UK tourists then maybe you would have a few. I would get the typo Jewelery before the other. Many U.S. citizens misspell this word all the time.

21. DomainFQ.com

DomainFQ.com Contact : [email protected] Gold Account

ist Jewelry 2nd Jewellery

22. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician Gold Account VIP

I wouldn't go for a name the is not phonetested
    and gives more than 1 way to be spelled

23. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

Are you sure? I have (2) close friends in this business one does everything from to design, mfg to sales, diamond setting, cad designs, molds, to some refining. Has all his own equipment and 40 years in the business. He is ah seasoned pro, knows the US market well and has been doing very bad and has been saying all his wholesale customer who sell retail are doing terrible, now 4 years. The other one now only sells gold, both were successful retailers before. One even can’t give away valuable stuff on eBay of all places. You might do some true market research and Ask around trusted sources before you spend $8k on a what appears to be a changing or dying market and business. Look at the eBay sales closely.

24. hookbox

hookbox Top Member VIP

i don't agree. If you are selling Jewelry and want people to know you are selling Jewelry then you have no choice then to use the word Jewelry in your name.

25. Embrand

Embrand Michael Bilde ICA Member Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

As mentioned before, why not "jewels"? It should be known to both Americans, Brits, Australians, Indians and many more and is easier to spell in my opinion.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: