Domain Empire

discuss Is .IO the new .COM for tech startups?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I recently saw an experienced domain broker that I follow on Facebook, Ryan Colby, post an interesting comment about .IO being the new .COM in the technology space. By technology space I think he means tech startups, and while I’m a huge fan of .IO, and I know a ton of startups that know and love it…I’m not sure I’d say it’s the new .COM for anyone.
dot-io-new-dot-com-768x861.png
I think the process of acquiring a .IO usually goes something like this...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.COM is .COM and .IO is .IO

•••
•••
Most non-.com startups use the handregged domains... and this is another fact.

•••
I recently saw an experienced domain broker that I follow on Facebook, Ryan Colby, post an interesting comment about .IO being the new .COM in the technology space. By technology space I think he means tech startups, and while I’m a huge fan of .IO, and I know a ton of startups that know and love it…I’m not sure I’d say it’s the new .COM for anyone.
dot-io-new-dot-com-768x861.png
I think the process of acquiring a .IO usually goes something like this...
Read More
I also think so. I'm a startup and I start with .IO

•••
just as a cheap alternative because they can't afford a .com

if the startup becomes a success they will eventually go after the .com

•••
Its a common philosophy of pro domainers who have gained some followers in the market, to tilt the views of people towards those extensions which he has stockpiled..!!

•••
No. There's always this kind of magical thinking that crops everytime someone is trying to market a non-core ccTLD as a gTLD.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Last week I was looking at a list of taken and developed .IO, and their corespondent .COM, dropped recently. I found 3 (weird) names, but I decided to send an email to each .IO business, telling them that the .COM was recently dropped, and they can get it for reg fee. In about 2 hours, all those 3 .COMs were registered, and 2 owners replied back with "Thank you very very much" for the info ... At the time they started their businesses, the .COMs were taken, and they could not afforded the price. Or they don't wanted to pay the asking price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back