IT.COM

Is "ICANN" protected?

Spaceship
Watch
Can I register a domain like

ICANN.??? or

ICANN(whatever).??? or

(whatever)ICANN.???

or would I get into possible legal trouble with them?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
YOUCANN'T

ICANN reserved "ICANN" and several ICANN supporting organizations in the new TLD contracts.

•••
jberryhill said:
YOUCANN'T

ICANN reserved "ICANN" and several ICANN supporting organizations in the new TLD contracts.

Can you clarify? Are you saying that the minute I reg a domain with "ICANN" in it they will take it from me or something? By the way, the domain will not be used for a bashing site nor will it be used in any other malicious way. It would be used to provide info on a specific area that ICANN rules over.

More opinions and comments appreciated.

•••
zquest said:
Can you clarify? Are you saying that the minute I reg a domain with "ICANN" in it they will take it from me or something? By the way, the domain will not be used for a bashing site nor will it be used in any other malicious way. It would be used to provide info on a specific area that ICANN rules over.

More opinions and comments appreciated.

Trademark issue .. why bother if you will not use it anyway?

TW

•••
TheWatcher said:
Trademark issue .. why bother if you will not use it anyway?

TW

I never said I would not use it. Afterall, such a domain would be worthless to wholesale or hang onto for a later sale.

•••
Yes, I also guess you can't use it due to trademark issues.

•••
jberryhill said:
YOUCANN'T

Good one! :laugh:

It so happens that icannsucks ending in info, biz, and us are available while
com, net and org are already taken. I think the com's taken by the same guy
who has whitehouse.com, Dan Parisi.

I wonder why ICANN hasn't bothered going after him...

If you're a risk taker, well....

Last edited:
•••
Can you clarify? Are you saying that the minute I reg a domain with "ICANN" in it they will take it from me or something?

No, that's not what I said. In the contracts for all new TLDs, the following names are reserved by ICANN and IANA:

ICANN:
aso
dnso
icann
internic
pso

IANA-related names:
afrinic
apnic
arin
example
gtld-servers
iab
iana
iana-servers
iesg
ietf
irtf
istf
lacnic
latnic
rfc-editor
ripe
root-servers

•••
'example' is a IANA-related name?

•••
jberryhill said:
No, that's not what I said. In the contracts for all new TLDs, the following names are reserved by ICANN and IANA:

ICANN:
aso
dnso
icann
internic
pso

IANA-related names:
afrinic
apnic
arin
example
gtld-servers
iab
iana
iana-servers
iesg
ietf
irtf
istf
lacnic
latnic
rfc-editor
ripe
root-servers

Thanks but...

That still tells me nothing. If the above names are "reserved by ICANN and IANA" the only reason why that would matter to me is if I could not use them as part of a domain. And since I know that I can use the words "example" and "ripe" in any domain I choose, your post makes very little sense to me, sorry.

If you wish to calrify how your posts are relevent, then please do. Otherwise not to worry, I have already made my decision. Again, thanks.

•••
Part of your question was directed to "a domain like ICANN.???". The reserve list answers that question authoritatively.

If you were "only" interested in using it in "part of a domain" (now that you've reframed the question), then what was the point of asking about "a domain like ICANN.???"?

The other part of your question is trivial. If you haven't heard of, for example, icannwatch.org, then not only does its existence answer your question, but you could probably learn a few things by reading it.

That still tells me nothing.

Oh my. I should refund your payment.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back