Domain Empire

Is GoDaddy selling my personal details...???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

aditya agrawal

Established Member
Impact
I know this may sound weird here's my story.

Whenever I register a domain with godaddy, I get a spam mail from a web-designing company with the subject

"Aditya Agrawal, I'd like to discuss on your new domain purchase at GoDaddy"

Now I am ok with people spamming me coz its as easy as "delete" but what freaks me out is that it happens whenever I register a domain at godaddy and within 3 days of registration. Moreover, they even know the domain that I have booked.
I've registered domain with almost many registrars like namecheap, whois, name.com, enom but this never happened with them.

Guys help me if you know how this is happening?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wonder why they only focus on GoDaddy domains? I guess because GoDaddy holds the most amount of domains compared to other registrars.

Number of domains would matter, plus GD offers hosting and web design, which lot of techie and newbies would go for. So maybe those sending emails are hoping people who find GD hosting/design services costly might try them out?

•••
most of the domains on godaddy are bought by domainers who only want to sell it further. So chances of reaching a potential client is very less.

Can't say for other countries or even other cities in India, but GD and BigRock are most popular in my city. Every one I know who wants a name uses these two. Most non-techie want GD due to integrated and easy hosting and other services. Specially for many small business the cost of domain reg and even hosting is acceptable as GD is the most well known name, and they offer phone support.

•••
•••
YES GODADDY SELLS YOUR INFORMATION. Today I awoke to find my personal address and phone number along with ALL of my Godaddy domains being listed prominently on Google and Yahoo search engines. The domains listed were those without privacy registration. But the address and phone number were not listed under my 'whois' registrant information for the domains. I had used an alternate address and phone number. Listed were my personal address and cell phone number which were under my Godaddy profile information. There is no way Godaddy can explain this away. I went to the BBB website to file a complaint and found that there are many others who have the same complaint. Their PERSONAL addresses and phone numbers are showing up online now with their domains and not the info under the whois registrant information for the domains. Godaddy is selling our information. Godaddy is a very unethical company.

Last edited:
•••
YES GODADDY SELLS YOUR INFORMATION. Today I awoke to find my personal address and phone number along with ALL of my Godaddy domains being listed prominently on Google and Yahoo search engines. The domains listed were those without privacy registration. But the address and phone number were not listed under my 'whois' registrant information for the domains. I had used an alternate address and phone number. Listed were my personal address and cell phone number which were under my Godaddy profile information. There is no way Godaddy can explain this away. I went to the BBB website to file a complaint and found that there are many others who have the same complaint. Their PERSONAL addresses and phone numbers are showing up online now with their domains and not the info under the whois registrant information for the domains. Godaddy is selling our information. Godaddy is a very unethical company.

Please outline the steps you took to find your personal details on Google / Yahoo.... I just did a few searches and can not find one bit of details of my name, address, etc with respect to my domains and I've been with Godaddy from almost their beginning.

•••
All this is public info ,everyone has it your best bet is do what I am little by little switch everything over to namesilo.com ,cheaper than godaddy basically the same price as godaddy domain discount club and even cheaper with quanity,and free privacy Too. NO -UCKIN brainer

•••
Today I awoke to find my personal address and phone number along with ALL of my Godaddy domains being listed prominently on Google and Yahoo search engines. The domains listed were those without privacy registration. But the address and phone number were not listed under my 'whois' registrant information for the domains. I had used an alternate address and phone number. Listed were my personal address and cell phone number which were under my Godaddy profile information.

What sort of search on Google & Yahoo did you do in order to return these search results? I'd certainly like to try and see if my info comes up.

•••
GoDaddy does not sell anyone's information or give it away for free. Your information can be gathered from public sources such as your WHOIS or the information you put on your website.

•••
Joe is 100 percent on this ,I get spam from all different sources from 10 different registries,so its not godaddy for sure, these people basically just search old drop lists and see who renewed them ,because I noticed that fresh idea domains that were regged for the first time don't seem to get any or not the same ratio wise. This never happened in the past ,it all started about 3 years ago,it has a lot to do with the strong dollar ,plus a glut of seo wannabes and web developers.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back