Dynadot

Is GoDaddy selling my personal details...???

NameSilo
Watch

aditya agrawal

Established Member
Impact
I know this may sound weird here's my story.

Whenever I register a domain with godaddy, I get a spam mail from a web-designing company with the subject

"Aditya Agrawal, I'd like to discuss on your new domain purchase at GoDaddy"

Now I am ok with people spamming me coz its as easy as "delete" but what freaks me out is that it happens whenever I register a domain at godaddy and within 3 days of registration. Moreover, they even know the domain that I have booked.
I've registered domain with almost many registrars like namecheap, whois, name.com, enom but this never happened with them.

Guys help me if you know how this is happening?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
are you choosing privacy guard while registring

•••
•••
also we get lots of mail from web designers and dedicated servers company

•••
also we get lots of mail from web designers and dedicated servers company

But is it as soon as you register a new domain.?
The problem is not the spam but how do they come to know that you have just booked a domain.

•••
I always get those when I register a domain at GD, it's EXTREMELY rare for me to get anything like that when I reg a name at another registrar. Seems odd that it's coming from GD.

It might just be that people watch what's being reg'd there and figure that it's there turn to make money from the new registrants.

•••
There are tools you cant use to find out all the newly registered domains

Dont worry about it, I get them all the time

•••
•••
gilescoley If one can find newly regs I should get spam for all other domains at other registrars as well, Y only godaddy?

Last edited:
•••
I always get those when I register a domain at GD, it's EXTREMELY rare for me to get anything like that when I reg a name at another registrar. Seems odd that it's coming from GD.

It might just be that people watch what's being reg'd there and figure that it's there turn to make money from the new registrants.

ulterios Correction:
Its not coming "from" godaddy. It is coming from webdesigning companies whenever I register at godaddy.

•••
b'coz might be most of the tools targets godaddy. Every whois & api is different. godaddy got lot of new reg,so many tools targets godaddy.

BTW: i got those spam mails too ..

•••
•••
ulterios Correction:
Its not coming "from" godaddy. It is coming from webdesigning companies whenever I register at godaddy.
Yes, that's what I meant. Not from GD, but design , SEO, etc. companies.

They must be prowling the new reg hotlines and picking up on GD reg's.

•••
Whenever I change my whois (or even my nameservers) I'll get this for most of my domains, at almost any registrar. Someone just scrapes the whois changes.

•••
gilescoley If one can find newly regs I should get spam for all other domains at other registrars as well, Y only godaddy?

I have names at Dynadot, Name, Hexonet, and variety of others and get emails about domains at all of them, this is not just a Godaddy thing

•••
No. In any case if you are talking about whois info then you should point out "is whois servers selling my personal details" Godaddy is just the domain registers kindda like resellers but big one.

Thanks.

•••
"is whois servers selling my personal details"

Its nothing to do with the registrars, it just web design and marketing companies doing a search, anyone can do it if they know how or have the tools

•••
gilescoley dntoolz The red ones are the 7 domains that I had booked a "day before yesterday" at godaddy.
4 others @ dynadot, for which I didnt receive any mail.
In Total I have 64 domains at dynadot for which I never received a spam mail 12 at Enom and 80 @ whois.com for whom I never received a spam as soon as I register them.

upload_2015-7-30_13-36-56.png

In my case, its only happening with godaddy as soon as I register it.
This is definitely something that affects credibility of godaddy as a registrar.
And if there are tools which target only godaddy, probably godaddy should find a way to restrict them.

•••
Godaddy is the most easy to use and biggest register with more sales each year. So maybe the spammers are targeting godaddy for there mail list. And if so sure godaddy needs to change there security restrictions.

And i sont think godaddy will sell there email list to some guy from india they are big company so they should sell the list to big companys lol :)

Beside that there are always strategy to extract emails from all over the net so it is now becoming a very big problem that is hard to solve.

•••
gilescoleydntoolz The red ones are the 7 domains that I had booked a "day before yesterday" at godaddy.
4 others @ dynadot, for which I didnt receive any mail.
In Total I have 64 domains at dynadot for which I never received a spam mail 12 at Enom and 80 @ whois.com for whom I never received a spam as soon as I register them.

You are just one person, have a look through NP and all the threads and you will see a lot of domainers who have been doing this for years get these all the time from a lot of registrars, just ignore them

It might be you have been doing it a long time, they have our email addresses from years ago and they just do a whois search and check what additional names you have and email us about them, that easy to so as well as I have done that to domain owners when buying domains

I know of a couple of those "web design" companies that have accounts here at Namepros as well, so its easy for them to check whats been registered as domainers post them in the appraisal thread every day

•••
My suggestions:

1. You should investigate the company that is spamming to see who owns it, or name them here so others can. (assuming it is one company of course)
2. You should ask Godaddy directly if they are involved with that company in any way shape or form and when they say they are not, ask them how they only got hold of your new Godaddy registrations but not domains registered at other places.

•••
•••
Most of the SPAM emails come from India. they tried to sell Dedicated servers, web designing etc.Most of them goes to spam folder.

This is not a GoDaddy thing, whenever you register a domain at every registrar without whois privacy you will get these.

•••
My most recent reg at GoDaddy, I received over 32 spam emails, 4 USPS spam mails, 5 phone calls and it's only been 6 weeks since I registered the domain. They started coming 2 hours after I registered the domain at Godaddy with a $1 coupon code & no whois privacy.
It's happened multiple times over the years when using a coupon code at Godaddy but i just ignored it. This time though it felt like harassment.

I've never had such a thing occur with any other registrar....

•••
DNVantage Within 72 hrs each time.
And with the Kill me if you dont laugh on this. seriously. I think all the 3 are friends, who dont know a crap about domaining. One bought the domain, other two are bidding. thinking they'll make 18 million off a trademark domain registered 3 days ago. I'll tell you a funnier part. the domain was on flippa homepage listing for 3 days, which means the to be millionaires have already spent atleast a $100 extra for homepage feature listing to make millions.

thekiller By the way I am an Indian as well. And dont worry, I am not offended. I know what you are saying is true.

The problem is not the spam. the problem is the timing and subject. Timing - Within 3 days of booking a domain on godaddy. And subject - lets discuss your new domain acquisition.

How do they know that I have Registered a new domain.

Paully Everytime a new company. new email address. Some are from gmail and yahoo, some are professional emails with proper site on the domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back