Is Europe a Continent?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sayrex

Established Member
Impact
Europe is not the continent, learn geography

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
poutin.jpg
corruptionist anf thief

•••
•••
Its ok everyone, sayrex went to one of them retard schools. Probably lives in some poor 3rd world country.

•••
@Haris, loot at this map.
Forget all wiki stupid articles.
What do you see here?
6 huge parts of land.
Madagascar is too small, also Japan and Iceland etc.
The first you see Euroasia, North America, South America, Africa and Australia.
The rest of big island are not huge enough among these huge continents.
You cant devide Eurasia into Europe and Asia.
Yes, they are differents cutures, but from point of view of geography this is just one very huge part of land.
Would you like it or not, but they are ONE big continent.

upload_2017-11-20_20-23-32.png

•••
Nah, Suez actually connects two seas, not two oceans, so Africa is not a continent! Greenland is continent, because it is surrounded by ocean, but Africa isn't!

:xf.eek::xf.confused::whistle:

"Africa is the world's second largest and second most-populous continent (the first being Asia in both categories). At about 30.3 million km2 (11.7 million square miles) including adjacent islands, it covers 6% of Earth's total surface area and 20.4% of its total land area.[2] With 1.2 billion[1] people as of 2016, it accounts for about 16% of the world's human population. The continent is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea to the north, both the Suez Canal and the Red Sea along the Sinai Peninsula to the northeast, the Indian Ocean to the southeast and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. The continent includes Madagascar and various archipelagos. It contains 54 fully recognised sovereign states (countries), nine territories and two de facto independent states with limited or no recognition.[3]

Africa's average population is the youngest amongst all the continents;[4][5] the median age in 2012 was 19.7, when the worldwide median age was 30.4.[6] Algeria is Africa's largest country by area, and Nigeria is its largest by population. Africa, particularly central Eastern Africa, is widely accepted as the place of origin of humans and the Hominidae clade (great apes), as evidenced by the discovery of the earliest hominids and their ancestors, as well as later ones that have been dated to around seven million years ago, including Sahelanthropus tchadensis, Australopithecus africanus, A. afarensis, Homo erectus, H. habilis and H. ergaster—with the earliest Homo sapiens (modern human) found in Ethiopia being dated to circa 200,000 years ago.[7] Africa straddles the equator and encompasses numerous climate areas; it is the only continent to stretch from the northern temperate to southern temperate zones.[8]

Africa hosts a large diversity of ethnicities, cultures and languages. In the late 19th century European countries colonised almost all of Africa. Africa also varies greatly with regard to environments, economics, historical ties and government systems. However, most present states in Africa originate from a process of decolonisation in the 20th century. African nations have attempted to cooperate through the establishment of the African Union, which is headquartered in Addis Ababa."

•••
Its ok everyone, sayrex went to one of them retard schools. Probably lives in some poor 3rd world country.
We were born in USSR, and had the BEST education.
3rd world country must be all you... or mayby you mean american poor education or better say training..

•••
What's that saying..."Every man is a continent" or something? So that makes a lot more than the 8 (we forgot about Atlantis) everyone's discussing.

•••
:xf.eek::xf.confused::whistle:

"Africa is the world's second largest and second most-populous continent (the first being Asia in both categories). At about 30.3 million km2 (11.7 million square miles) including adjacent islands, it covers 6% of Earth's total surface area and 20.4% of its total land area.[2] With 1.2 billion[1] people as of 2016, it accounts for about 16% of the world's human population. The continent is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea to the north, both the Suez Canal and the Red Sea along the Sinai Peninsula to the northeast, the Indian Ocean to the southeast and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. The continent includes Madagascar and various archipelagos. It contains 54 fully recognised sovereign states (countries), nine territories and two de facto independent states with limited or no recognition.[3]

Africa's average population is the youngest amongst all the continents;[4][5] the median age in 2012 was 19.7, when the worldwide median age was 30.4.[6] Algeria is Africa's largest country by area, and Nigeria is its largest by population. Africa, particularly central Eastern Africa, is widely accepted as the place of origin of humans and the Hominidae clade (great apes), as evidenced by the discovery of the earliest hominids and their ancestors, as well as later ones that have been dated to around seven million years ago, including Sahelanthropus tchadensis, Australopithecus africanus, A. afarensis, Homo erectus, H. habilis and H. ergaster—with the earliest Homo sapiens (modern human) found in Ethiopia being dated to circa 200,000 years ago.[7] Africa straddles the equator and encompasses numerous climate areas; it is the only continent to stretch from the northern temperate to southern temperate zones.[8]

Africa hosts a large diversity of ethnicities, cultures and languages. In the late 19th century European countries colonised almost all of Africa. Africa also varies greatly with regard to environments, economics, historical ties and government systems. However, most present states in Africa originate from a process of decolonisation in the 20th century. African nations have attempted to cooperate through the establishment of the African Union, which is headquartered in Addis Ababa."
Both those seas are Indian Ocean seas...
American education... sorry, training

•••
I forgot about the fish continent, you know the one that's under the sea.

•••
@Haris, loot at this map.
Forget all wiki stupid articles.
What do you see here?
6 huge parts of land.
Madagascar is too small, also Japan and Iceland etc.
The first you see Euroasia, North America, South America, Africa and Australia.
The rest of big island are not huge enough among these huge continents.
You cant devide Eurasia into Europe and Asia.
Yes, they are differents cutures, but from point of view of geography this is just one very huge part of land.
Would you like it or not, but they are ONE big continent.

Show attachment 73486

what about greenland, it looks as big as Australia, at least on the maps

•••
the way this is going before you know it someone is going to say there are only eight planets and Pluto is not one of them.

•••
what about greenland, it looks as big as Australia, at least on the maps
it is not considered as continent, I already dont remember why, but here I am agree, from some point of view it could be considered as continent.
But we talk now about Europe and not Greenland.

•••
the way this is going before you know it someone is going to say there are only eight planets and Pluto is not one of them.
I never will understand why they deleted Pluto from the list... :(

•••
Both those seas are Indian Ocean seas...
American education... sorry, training

That was a copy and paste article to illustrate the idiotic statement that Africa is not a continent...

If you actually agree with strugar that Africa is NOT a continent then someone has been lying to you.

I'm not American educated, I'm South African... maybe you heard of the place? it's a country on the Southern end of the AFRICAN CONTINENT

•••
it is not considered as continent, I already dont remember why, but here I am agree, from some point of view it could be considered as continent.
But we talk now about Europe and not Greenland.

So I already explained why Europe is considered a continent a while ago... Not sure why you're ignoring that post.

•••
That was a copy and paste article to illustrate the idiotic statement that Africa is not a continent...

If you actually agree with strugar that Africa is NOT a continent then someone has been lying to you.

I'm not American educated, I'm South African... maybe you heard of the place? it's a country on the Southern end of the AFRICAN CONTINENT
I know where is your country, I even know the capital of your country, I even know some history of your country.

•••
So I already explained why Europe is considered a continent a while ago... Not sure why you're ignoring that post.
Paste it here, I already cant find it.
I would like to re-read it

•••
Paste it here, I already cant find it.
I would like to re-read it

Here you go.

"I'd have to do some more reading, but from what I've seen so far, the Ural Mountains were chosen as the dividing line between Europe and Asia. Back when this was determined, geography wasn't what it is today, so the western notion of seven continents is more a historical phenomenon than a geographical one. And while perhaps not geographically accurate, this fits into the commonly accepted definition of "continent" that many people in the world are familiar with.

Of course geographic accuracy is a whole other issue... since the "single land mass" definition of continent leaves out all the smaller the islands of the world, and even calls into question whether or not Greenland should be a continent unto itself.

There's no perfect answer, I'm afraid. But I certainly respect your opinion."

•••
"Africa, the Americas, Antarctica, Asia, Australia together with Oceania, and Europe are considered to be Continents."
SOURCE: http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/continents.htm

Apparently there are some (probably idiots that want to see the world burn) geographers that consider Europe+Asia as 1 continent, whoever say otherwise go in any Asian or European country and contradict them.

This thread should be closed as it's pure non-sense and idiotic drama.

•••
In much of the world Europe is considered a continent, in some of the world I guess it is not.
There are countless references to the Earth being 7 continents.

Pluto also got decertified as a planet. Nothing about it changed other than the definition of what a planet is.

There didn't used to be a Southern Ocean, now there is. It was created from what is basically the southern part of existing oceans. There is still debate over if it should even be considered an ocean.

The bottom line is many people consider Europe a continent. You can disagree all you want, it does not change that.

Brad

•••
I'd have to do some more reading, but from what I've seen so far, the Ural Mountains were chosen as the dividing line between Europe and Asia
You right. Europe and Asia are differents parts of world.
And Ural Mountains divide Europe from Asia.
But not as continent.
I also told, we have 6 continents: Eurasia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia+Oceania and Antarctica.
But we also have 6 parts of the world: Europe, Asia, Africa, Americas, Antactica and Australia.

•••
"Africa, the Americas, Antarctica, Asia, Australia together with Oceania, and Europe are considered to be Continents."

Apparently there are some (probably idiots that want to see the world burn) geographers that consider Europe+Asia as 1 continent, whoever say otherwise go in any Asian or European country and contradict them.

Thrre are some probably idiots that cant see Europe and Asia are just ONE huge land.
But Europe and Asia are 2 differents part of the wrold.

•••

Well that's not really fair... A large chunk of the world is actually taught that Europe and Asia combine to form one continent: Eurasia. Neither opinion is right or wrong; they're based on which of the widely accepted definitions of "continent" you choose to use.

For my part, I'm sure I'll always continue to think of Europe and Asia as two distinct continents. It's what I was taught. However, I can certainly see a more than valid (and logical) argument for the other side.

•••
A nice thread to relax and have fun

•••
I belive there are better ways to spend our time, this is going nowhere.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back