Is Europe a Continent?

NameSilo
Watch

Sayrex

Established Member
Impact
Europe is not the continent, learn geography

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Explain me why Europe is continent?
Look at this map and explain it.

upload_2017-11-20_19-7-55.png

•••
There is a strict definition of the word "continent".
Continent is a huge part of land surrounded by ocean.
Look at the map, Europe is part of Euroasian continent, and if in your countries teach different, so your countries have poor education.
You cant just memorize, you must to think, look at the world map and try to reason.
North and South Americas are 2 continents, Europe and Asia is just 1 continent - Eurasia.
Africa cant be part of afro-euroasian continent, because there is no any afro-eurasian continent.
But Europe and Asia are different parts of the world...
Parts, not continents...
From point of view of geography Europe and Asia are just 1 continent and who cares about wiki, google and your education program?

Education is definitely about more than memorization... but by that same token, I would say that to be truly educated you must be willing to open your mind to other possibilities and ideas, and to the notion that sometimes there simply isn't just one answer.

Your definition of continent is certainly valid, but the fact remains that there are many other reputable sources (both online and in textbooks) that offer a different definition.

So while I don't appreciate the demeaning tone of your posts, I hope you can at least take solace in the fact that you opened us North American folks to the possibility of another way of defining the world continents.

•••
Continent is a huge part of land surrounded by ocean.

So Iceland, Hawaii and Madagascar are continents, correct? That's why I love this forum, so much to learn here!

•••
So Iceland, Hawaii and Madagascar are continents, correct? That's why I love this forum, so much to learn here!

greenland too

•••
Open mind doesnt mean acept New Zealand is a continent.
I even drunk never could get to resolusion that Africa and Auroasia could be one continent..
I look at the map and I see 6 continents. Not 5, not 7. and not 27.
Just 6.

•••
LOOK AT THE MAP!
There are just 6 huge lands surrounded by oceans!
Are you all blind?

•••
Explain me why Europe is continent?
Look at this map and explain it.

Show attachment 73474

I'd have to do some more reading, but from what I've seen so far, the Ural Mountains were chosen as the dividing line between Europe and Asia. Back when this was determined, geography wasn't what it is today, so the western notion of seven continents is more a historical phenomenon than a geographical one. And while perhaps not geographically accurate, this fits into the commonly accepted definition of "continent" that many people in the world are familiar with.

Of course geographic accuracy is a whole other issue... since the "single land mass" definition of continent leaves out all the smaller the islands of the world, and even calls into question whether or not Greenland should be a continent unto itself.

There's no perfect answer, I'm afraid. But I certainly respect your opinion.

•••
[QUOTE="mayazir, post: 6443667, member: 979255]
I even drunk never could get to resolusion that Africa and Auroasia could be one continent.[/QUOTE]

But Africa is not surrounded by ocean - it has Mediterannean sea on tha north and Asia on northeast, so Africa is definatelly not s continent according to your own definition!

Eurasia is also not a continent, because it is surrounded again by Mediterannean sea and Africa, so Eurasia cannot be a continent!

Antarctica is also not a continent, because it's surrounded by ice, no ocean down there, so it's not a continent either!

•••
Africa is surrounded by ocean, the Suez canal is too tiny, the same as Panama Canal.
And Europe is a part of Euroasian continent.

•••
LOOK AT THE MAP!
There are just 6 huge lands surrounded by oceans!
Are you all blind?
Sorry, my friend, but I don't agree - I was to Iceland and Madagascar, and they are reaaaalyyyy huge chunks of land, and there is ocean everywhere around, so they are definatelly continents!

I have never been to Hawaii, but I have a t-shirt with imprinted picture of Hawaii, and it also seems surrounded by ocean from all sides, and looks like it's huge, so it's a lonely continent in the middle of Pacific!

•••
[QUOTE="mayazir, post: 6443667, member: 979255]
I even drunk never could get to resolusion that Africa and Auroasia could be one continent.
Antarctica is also not a continent, because it's surrounded by ice, no ocean down there, so it's not a continent either![/QUOTE]
@Sayrex, read this!!! hahahaha... I cant anymore, I am crying.. Antarctica is not a continent because it is surrounded by ice!!!!
:)

•••
Sorry, my friend, but I don't agree - I was to Iceland and Madagascar, and they are reaaaalyyyy huge chunks of land, and there is ocean everywhere around, so they are definatelly continents!

I have never been to Hawaii, but I have a t-shirt with imprinted picture of Hawaii, and it also seems surrounded by ocean from all sides, and looks like it's huge, so it's a lonely continent in the middle of Pacific!
LOOK AT THIS MAP!!
YOUR MADAGASCAR IS SO TINY ON IT

upload_2017-11-20_19-26-51.png

•••
Africa is surrounded by ocean, the Suez canal is too tiny, the same as Panama Canal.
And Europe is a part of Euroasian continent.

Nah, Suez actually connects two seas, not two oceans, so Africa is not a continent! Greenland is continent, because it is surrounded by ocean, but Africa isn't!

•••
sri lanka is a continent i am positive

•••
Africa is surrouneded by oceans.
Nah, Suez actually connects two seas, not two oceans, so Africa is not a continent! Greenland is continent, because it is surrounded by ocean, but Africa isn't!
Sorry, I even cant find any answer for so silly afirmation, really sorry, nothing personal...

•••
sri lanka is a continent i am positive
yes, sri lanka is a continent, god exists, aliens are coming and all you are very educated people and I am from Mars....

•••
Africa is surrouneded by oceans.

Sorry, I even cant find any answer for so silly afirmation, really sorry, nothing personal...

Of course, no problems, I'm glad you agree with me that Africa is not continent!

•••
Of course, no problems, I'm glad you agree with me that Africa is not continent!
No, it is an island... a planet or maybe asteriod, but not a continent..
I never saw so silly afirmations in 1 thread...you all must be kidding..

•••
No, it is an island... a planet or maybe asteriod, but not a continent..
I never saw so silly afirmations in 1 thread...you all must be kidding..

I was as serious as your posts...

•••
Ok, if you think Europe is a continent, prove it..
I want to see proves..
It is not separeted from the rest of continent, so why you think Europe and Asia are 2 different continents.
Just dont show me links to wikipedia.
I want your own arguments.

•••
Ok, if you think Europe is a continent, prove it..
I want to see proves..
It is not separeted from the rest of continent, so why you think Europe and Asia are 2 different continents.
Just dont show me links to wikipedia.
I want your own arguments.

I answered this in my previous post if you want to go take a look...

•••
yes, sri lanka is a continent, god exists, aliens are coming and all you are very educated people and I am from Mars....

agreed

•••
•••
•••
btw I just realized Japan is a continent too

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back