Dynadot

Is domain reselling profitable for you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is domain reselling profitable for you?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, I've made more than I've spent in domains.

votes
    54.5%
  • No, I've spent more than I've made in domains.

votes
    45.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

armstrong

Man from ManilaVIP Member
Impact
Simple poll, really. This will give us an idea of the current state of domain speculation. The options are:

- Yes, I've made more than I've spent in domains.
- No, I've spent more than I've made in domains.

Appreciate your input!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
just startin.....more$$$$ out flow than IN:lol:

•••
By definition, newbies are mostly on the losing end.

This should be balanced by all the folks in this forum who have been doing this for a while. Hopefully, they are profitable, and we'll see a nice, even 50/50 split between the profitable/not-profitable. Otherwise, the results could be scary.D-:

•••
I believe I'm in the profit zone, certainly made back what I've spent with a little extra $ for myself.

•••
I'm a little in a loss mainly becuase I aquired a few domains I've wanted, not becuase of lack of sales.

:)

•••
We'll keep situations like these in mind when evaluating the results, but for now you should be in the loss category. Otherwise we'll have most everyone being undecided.

Myself, I've invested a nice sum in my domains, some at mint prices (check my sig). But I'm in the loss category because as of now I've spent more than I've sold.

•••
I only started in June , this year, so my outlay so far is at least 5 times the $$$ I've brought in... :lala:

Early days though... ;)

I console myself in the knowlegde that I am in it for the long run and that I only really need to sell just ONE of my 'decent' names at an end user price to cover all the outlay in ONE hit !

Until then , its just a matter of time... I hope.

Its a funny old game this. Great fun and the potential to make good money on the side is a superb motivator.

You could work your nads off selling PCs for a 10 pct profit margin or sell a $8.75 name for $275 , as I did recently..
Thats a margin youre not going to find in many industries...

I'd be interested to know how many domainers here actually do it as a full time day job.. Now , that is a lot scarier !

My parting words to newbies is to be patient, still buy quality names and the money WILL roll in ! :)

•••
I'm kinda doing it full time but only really push sales for about 1 week a month, the rest of the time I wait for people to contact me about buying my domains.

Sold 3 names the other day for a total of $650.00 , my end profit was $590.00 not bad for a days work just wish it would happen more often...

•••
Fantastic... I do like hearing those sorts of stories..

I'd be interested to see a couple of related polls on this..

1. The ratio of those who do it part-time/full-time/in-retirement, etc
2. The biggest percentage profits made on a domainers name sale.

•••
I am doing domain reselling on a part time basis along with my university education and I am making some profit for myself. ^^

•••
Yes, I've made more than I've spent in domains. :)
Caveat ... this is since 1999, mind you.
Thanks for the cool thread/poll!
B-)

•••
i am part time.
currently mainly searching for traffic domains.
Have not cover my cost yet because i keep on buying domains ;)

Trying to learn how to successfully market domains.

•••
Have not cover my cost yet because i keep on buying domains

:D This is a major flaw in my domain profit strategy...

I cannot seem to stop buying or bidding on just about every name I like....:guilty:

Its so very addictive.

•••
Same here 4U, I dont think you have a choice if you want to stay in the game, got to keep going after the goodies while we can.

•••
Well, about once a week , I say to myself -
'right, thats it, I'm not buying any more names. I will sell the ones I have'...

Before I know it , my hand becomes possessed and I cannot help but peruse the deleting domains lists...

Next thing I know... I've gone and bid on half a dozen names. D-:

•••
Hahaha, I am the same with you 4u-domains!

•••
definitely part time for now but I think that I have broke even so far if not made a small profit. You guys are right though. It is so very addicting Especially once yo do sell one for 400-500% profit

•••
NOPE!

But I'm close to the break-even point.

The best is yet to come (I've been saying that for years!)
ST

•••
I'm a small player, part-time, who don't buy anything expensive and almost always buy to develop. As I then would have to count in income from sponsors on sites, i'm not close to a loser :)

•••
Originally posted by cerebus
I'm a small player, part-time, who don't buy anything expensive and almost always buy to develop. As I then would have to count in income from sponsors on sites, i'm not close to a loser :)

This is a different situation. The websites in my sig are all profitable. If you count revenue generated by these, then I'll be out there in the positive scale.

But I think most domaineers expect to make money buying and selling pure domain names with minimal (if any) development, and quite likely zero revenue. This is the type of activity I would like to measure in this poll.

•••
Not counting that activity my guess is that I'm still profitable, even though in much smaller figures as I don't 'play that game' much at all.

•••
Im profitable by double. I am a newbie too, well technically though I think I am a average player by now.

•••
•••
Part time and definitely profitable.

Totally addicted to getting new names but managing at present to sell enough wholesale to cover all the registration fees, with some nice recent retail sales to help pay bills and reinvest in, hopefully, some better quality names.

Isnt it nice when a hobby pays for itself and a little more?

DavidH

•••
Nearly broke me when I first started because I did not go to forums, got hit by a scam or two, and I paid too much ($35) for each domain at Network Solutions.

However, I turned it around once I started actually learning the business and I am now solidly in the black with a few assets to fall back on:).

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back