IT.COM

debate Is .app going to be like others in the past?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will .app be like others in the past?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

creataweb

Some Guy with Awesome Senior High School PhotoTop Member
Impact
Opinions please on .app in 1 year and beyond. Since we have a number of threads about .app I figured we should have one about the year later and beyond that.

Do you see more drops than keeps? Will it be because of high renewals on many names, or because their is no market for domainers to sell to endusers?

Debate below.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I think a good indicator will be to see how long it takes for any mainstream media advert to have a .app url in it, alongside the typical store images.

•••
Do you see more drops than keeps? Will it be because of high renewals on many names, or because their is no market for domainers to sell to endusers?

Debate below.

I think we’ll see a great number of drops around this time next year, just based on the types of names people seem to be registering as reported in other threads.

We’ll see drops in the high renewal names certainly, but there are a lot of names that are premium in most new tlds and not in .app, so I predict more renewals than most tlds at least for 2-3 years as the holding cost isn’t as high as some other extensions.

Ultimately, I think .app has a reason to exist and has its place in the ecosystem. It’s short, it has utility, and I like Google’s intentions with progressive web apps. Of course, it could all be baseless hype, but honestly the bar is pretty low with all the nTLDs we’ve seen.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back