Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
androidforum.com $ 10,000 USD
androidhelp.com $ 5,000 USD
bestandroidapps $ 5,000 USD

the top 100 sales is androidpro.com $ 252 in DNSprice

I have a question
Is Android trademarked or a generic word in English?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dont do it! Dont even think about it,

I see “Linnux” word sales every now & then too

Avoid these “gray area” bs, I would steer clear

Last edited:
•••
I guess in theory android is a word, but in reality it is a dominant TM of a trillion dollar company that I would not touch with a 10 foot pole.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
They are very specific in how people can use the word "Android" - I think this is mainly for developers?

https://developer.android.com/distribute/marketing-tools/brand-guidelines

So if you are a developer I suppose there is value in owning a good Android domain if you use the phrase correctly - I personally would not risk owning any for resale to them though

Android as a robotic term has it's own Nice Classification.......which I did not know until looking into it today

090778 humanoid robots with artificial intelligence

https://www.wipo.int/classification...e=flat&notion=&pagination=no&version=20210101

Is Android considered a generic dictionary word when it comes to robotics? Or have any companies Trademarked it for this area I don't know......

•••
They are very specific in how people can use the word "Android" - I think this is mainly for developers?

https://developer.android.com/distribute/marketing-tools/brand-guidelines

So if you are a developer I suppose there is value in owning a good Android domain if you use the phrase correctly - I personally would not risk owning any for resale to them though

Android as a robotic term has it's own Nice Classification.......which I did not know until looking into it today

090778 humanoid robots with artificial intelligence

https://www.wipo.int/classification...e=flat&notion=&pagination=no&version=20210101

Is Android considered a generic dictionary word when it comes to robotics? Or have any companies Trademarked it for this area I don't know......

The term "android" has a long history...I still would not mess with it for obvious reasons.

The term "android" appears in US patents as early as 1863 in reference to miniature human-like toy automatons.[9] The term android was used in a more modern sense by the French author Auguste Villiers de l'Isle-Adam in his work Tomorrow's Eve (1886).[3] This story features an artificial humanlike robot named Hadaly. As said by the officer in the story, "In this age of Realien advancement, who knows what goes on in the mind of those responsible for these mechanical dolls." The term made an impact into English pulp science fiction starting from Jack Williamson's The Cometeers (1936) and the distinction between mechanical robots and fleshy androids was popularized by Edmond Hamilton's Captain Future (1940–1944).[3]

Although Karel Čapek's robots in R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots) (1921)—the play that introduced the word robot to the world—were organic artificial humans, the word "robot" has come to primarily refer to mechanical humans, animals, and other beings.[3] The term "android" can mean either one of these,[3] while a cyborg ("cybernetic organism" or "bionic man") would be a creature that is a combination of organic and mechanical parts.

The term "droid", popularized by George Lucas in the original Star Wars film and now used widely within science fiction, originated as an abridgment of "android", but has been used by Lucas and others to mean any robot, including distinctly non-human form machines like R2-D2.

Last edited:
•••
The term "android" has a long history...I still would not mess with it for obvious reasons.

The term "android" appears in US patents as early as 1863 in reference to miniature human-like toy automatons.[9] The term android was used in a more modern sense by the French author Auguste Villiers de l'Isle-Adam in his work Tomorrow's Eve (1886).[3] This story features an artificial humanlike robot named Hadaly. As said by the officer in the story, "In this age of Realien advancement, who knows what goes on in the mind of those responsible for these mechanical dolls." The term made an impact into English pulp science fiction starting from Jack Williamson's The Cometeers (1936) and the distinction between mechanical robots and fleshy androids was popularized by Edmond Hamilton's Captain Future (1940–1944).[3]

Although Karel Čapek's robots in R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots) (1921)—the play that introduced the word robot to the world—were organic artificial humans, the word "robot" has come to primarily refer to mechanical humans, animals, and other beings.[3] The term "android" can mean either one of these,[3] while a cyborg ("cybernetic organism" or "bionic man") would be a creature that is a combination of organic and mechanical parts.

The term "droid", popularized by George Lucas in the original Star Wars film and now used widely within science fiction, originated as an abridgment of "android", but has been used by Lucas and others to mean any robot, including distinctly non-human form machines like R2-D2.
Looks like there is a couple of books for me to read.......

•••
•••
I had a quick browse and the amount of companies using "android" in their domain is quite large......

There is even a Android Developer ( - co - in) using the Android logo in their logo......with the below disclaimer at the bottom of the site

"The rights to all trademarks, images, videos and logos belong to its exclusive owners. They are being used on this site for reference purpose only.."

Do Google license out the Logo/TM, the software - or all 3?

Again just to reiterate I would not touch the word but many others seem to be..........

Edit

I don't think you can license out a TM? :xf.rolleyes: could of phrased it better......

Last edited:
•••
Personally, I run away when confronted with legal texts like these from large corporations. It's not my piece of cake to invest in these kind of well known, established trade names as part of my domains.

https://developer.android.com/legal

Last edited:
•••
Personally, I run away when confronted with legal texts like these from large corporations. It's not my piece of cake to invest in these kind of well known, established trade names as part of my domains.

https://developer.android.com/legal
There we go - from a development perspective you can use the logo and name, under certain conditions - but when it comes to domains it looks dodgy as hell........

•••
All depends on what you want to do if you create an android that hunts down ex employees of Skynet you have a terminator but then again that francise is also copyright. Better make it a t-1000 mk2.

Last edited:
•••

Pretty much covers it. No, don't touch "Android"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back