Dynadot

discuss Is a blockchain .Com tld possible?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
There had been some discussion about whether Icann might approve a .Crypto extension under the traditional domain name system. How would the same domain (i.e Coins.Crypto) resolve if one could be held in your Godaddy account and viewed on traditional browsers while the other would require use of a special extension?

So the thought occurred to me - could blockchain developers like Unstoppabble Domains roll out a blockchain version called .COM even if websites on such domains could only be viewed using a special extension?

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, protocols for the decentralized web (Dweb or Web3) could use an extension named .com.

The problem would be the confusion that would be created. Onboarding dweb users is a priority for most dweb developers so confusion is generally avoided at all costs.

In the future, web browsers may upload a dWeb protocol or DNS protocol based on the extension. It's in everyone's best interest to keep extensions separate and dedicated to only one protocol.

•••
You can have any extension you want if you have an alternative DNS root.

Brad

•••
I guess at some point someone will roll out a .COIN and a .CHAIN and .TOKEN etc. So no reason to load up on hundreds of speculative registrations in .Crypto.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back