Dynadot

Irritated with Dynadot

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steve Andersen

Established Member
Impact
In general I have always liked Dynadot. But find it troublesome when you win an auction pay for it then 2 days later they email you back saying order was cancelled as owner renewed domain.

We all know domains are auctioned in market places and can be renewed but at least make auctions end after their grace period has lapsed. This prevents buyers from being pissed off and gives original owner ample time to reclaim domain they may have overlooked.

As soon as I won I submitted name and paid to have it reviewed for listing in a brand market place. So I’m out that money too.

Also seems little shady when nameservers update to a new location from where they have been, after I am told it was renewed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is just normal practice,

Registrars have a fiduciary duty to current registrants during and after the grace period to help out where they can. Their ToS and ICANN may not mandate it but imagine if that domain was your live site and you were laid up in a COVID-induced non-functional state. How would it feel to come back online only to find that your business was offline. Tough.

If the domain is not being actively used, perhaps DD will help you reach the registrant and work out a wholesale price. This is what we try to do in cases where there is a dispute on an expiry stream domain.

•••
Rob,

I here what your saying. I’m not even mad of not getting the name. I just feel if the policy as in Dynadot’s case is to give owner 40 days to renew, then domain auction should be timed to expire after this time. I have no issue with it going on during their ability to renew.

But most of the times these are not because a domain owner was laid up and missed renewal, but rather because a domainer was fishing for domain interest before deciding to renew.

Last edited:
•••
In general I have always liked Dynadot. But find it troublesome when you win an auction pay for it then 2 days later they email you back saying order was cancelled as owner renewed domain.

We all know domains are auctioned in market places and can be renewed but at least make auctions end after their grace period has lapsed. This prevents buyers from being pissed off and gives original owner ample time to reclaim domain they may have overlooked.

As soon as I won I submitted name and paid to have it reviewed for listing in a brand market place. So I’m out that money too.

Also seems little shady when nameservers update to a new location from where they have been, after I am told it was renewed.
it happened to me 3 times out of 3 times that I won a domain in dynadot...

•••
it happened to me 3 times out of 3 times that I won a domain in dynadot...

Apparently you have really good taste in domains. :) From your perspective, those odds aren't great.

The challenge you have is that DD is dominated by Pro domainers. If a pro domainer sees someone pick up their domain, they might be quick to declare a Mulligan.

That may or may not be what is happening here, but it would make a lot of sense to let customers opt in to having their expiry stream sold off in a non-recourse way.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Apparently you have really good taste in domains. :) From your perspective, those odds aren't great.

It would be great if DD would partner with NameLiquidate on expiry stream so that people could opt in to having their domains liquidated.

The challenge you have is that DD is dominated by Pro domainers. If a pro domainer sees someone pick up their domain, they might be quick to declare a Mulligan.

That may or may not be what is happening here, but it would make a lot of sense to let customers opt in to having their expiry stream sold off in a non-recourse way.

Of course DD could attempt to clone NameLiquidate. I imagine some will try but really not sure I see the point of that. API is here for anyone who wants to integrate:

https://docs.userapi.epik.com/v2/

It is really painless.

Great point. Thank you Rob!

•••
It would be great if DD would partner with NameLiquidate on expiry stream so that people could opt in to having their domains liquidated.

I imagine if @Dynadot were to be interested in such a partnership, they'd first want to see how this worked for other registrars expiry stream.

Since Epik has an expiry stream, wouldn't it make sense for Epik to first test this suggestion on Epik's expiry stream, rather than Epik sending their expiry stream to SnapNames? Or would that not be registrar-agnostic?

Last edited:
•••
I imagine if Dynadot were to be interested in such a partnership, they'd first want to see how this worked for other registrars expiry stream.

Since Epik has an expiry stream, wouldn't it make sense for Epik to first test this suggestion on Epik's expiry stream, rather than Epik sending their expiry stream to SnapNames? Or would that not be registrar-agnostic?

We already integrated it into our expiry stream.

The key is opt-in by the registrant. Example from Epik:

upload_2020-5-25_13-16-39.png

Any registrar can do this type of one click integration.

They can also set the terms, i.e. what the rev-share would look like and perhaps also where the domain registrations land.

The FederatedIdentity.com Single Sign On framework is designed for maximum interoperability.

We are evaluating whether to continue the practice of sending expiry stream to Snapnames on day 36. It does not change the issue of OPT IN. For clear title change at sale, we want users to OPT IN.

Last edited:
•••
We already integrated it into our expiry stream.

The key is opt-in by the registrant. Example from Epik:

upload_2020-5-25_13-16-39-png.155756

I don't see how I can opt-in to a Dynadot listing from the epik UI.

Perhaps Epik will consider working with Dynadot so epik customers can send their domains to Dynadot listings?

ICYMI: Dynadot offers an industry-leading 5% of the listing price. Leaving the remaining 95% to the registrant!

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/list-domain

Our Marketplace is the place to buy and sell domains! Setting your domain for sale is easy. You just need to follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your Dynadot account.
  2. Select "My Domains" from the left-side menu bar and click "Manage Domains" in the drop-down.
  3. Check the box next to the domain name(s) you wish to list for sale.
  4. Select "Sell Domain" from the "Bulk Action" drop-down menu.
  5. Select "Marketplace" from the drop-down menu and click the "Save Settings" button.
  6. Your domain will be defaulted to "make offer" for the listing. If you want to set a certain price and set a category and/or subcategory, you can edit your listing under the "My Marketplace" menu. You can also add website and description details here.
IMPORTANT:

• The marketplace listing fee is 5% of the listing price. There is no minimum listing fee at this time.
  • The processing period will take 5-20 days.
  • Domain sale proceeds are given in account credit by default. This credit can be used as payment for any future orders placed at Dynadot.
  • Dynadot now supports Payouts.

Also, @Rob Monster, in case you want to refer-a-friend to Dynadot, they have a great referral program.

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/section.html?category_id=7
  • [*]How many friends can I refer?
    Our Refer-a-Friend program does not have any limits on the number of new friends you can refer nor do we have limits on how many Dynadollars (also known as account credit) you can earn. To get started with our Refer-a-Friend program, follow these instructions on how to find your referral code or visit our Refer-a-Friend page to share your custom referral link on social media or via email. (You must be signed in to share your link.)

[*]What is a referral code and where do I find mine?
    A referral code is a unique number assigned to your account. You can use this code to refer your friends to Dynadot and get rewarded! When you refer a friend to Dynadot, they get $5 DynaDollars (otherwise known as account credit) when they set up their free account with us. Then, when they place their first order*, you also get $5 DynaDollars! You can either give this code to your friends to be entered manually when they create their accounts or share your custom link on social media: To share your referral code, sign in and then visit our Refer-a-Friend page where you can share your custom link on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, or via email. To find your referral code in your Dynadot account, please follow these steps: Sign in to your Dynadot account. Select "My Info" from the left-side menu bar and click "Refer-a-Friend" from the drop-down. Your referral code will be displayed on this page. You can also see your past referrals here. *NOTE: Referral orders must be placed within 48 hours and be at least $9.99. New to Dynadot? Check out our sales. Find a domain name for a great price. Buy, sell, or bid in our domain market. Discover domain names that were not renewed, listed for sale, or about to be re-released. Find the perfect domain name with our domain suggestion tool. Enter a keyword and our suggestion tool will do the rest! Create a website. Own your online presence with our easy-to-use website builder. Join our affiliate program. Spread the word about us and start earning.

[*]What is the Refer-a-Friend program?
    Dynadot is proud to present our new and improved Refer-a-Friend program! Much of our new business comes from customers that tell their friends about Dynadot. We want to reward the customers that help our business grow. This new mutually-beneficial rewards program should do just that. This is how it works: Each Dynadot account has a customized referral code that can be found in your Dynadot account (click on the referral code link for instructions). You can either give this code to your friends to be entered manually when they create their accounts or visit our Refer-a-Friend page to share your custom link on social media. When someone clicks on your link, creates a Dynadot account & spends $9.99 within 48 hours, both you and the new account are eligible to receive $5 DynaDollars* (otherwise known as account credit). Dynadollars can take 30-60 days to process. *Note: To participate and receive Dynadollars, please visit our terms and conditions page: https://www.dynadot.com/community/refer-a-friend.html

[*]I referred a friend to Dynadot, why didn't I get my $5 Dynadollars?
    First of all, thank you for participating in our Refer-a-Friend program and referring us! There are a couple of potential reasons why you haven't received your $5 Dynadollars: The friend you referred didn't place an order of $9.99 or more within 48 hours of the referral (aka when they created an account using your referral link or code). We haven't complete processing your referral. Referrals can take up to 30-60 days to fully process. This is because we need to ensure that the referral order has completed and there is no fraud or chargeback. If you haven't received your $5 Dynadollars for your referral and you feel you should have, you can contact us at [email protected]. Please provide as much info you can about your account and the referral account/order, so we can look into it for you.

[*]How will you know which orders were referred by me?
    When your friend clicks on your referral link, we include special tracking that will set a cookie in your friend's browser. When your friend places their first order of $9.99 or more*, the cookie will tell us that the order was referred by you and you should get $5 Dynadollars (also known as account credit) for the referral. If the cookie cannot be set for some reason, we also provide a referral code that your friend can enter manually while creating their account (which can be done on our create an account page or during the order checkout process under the "Refer-a-Friend" section). Click the referral code link to get instructions on how to find your referral code. Find out more about our Refer-a-Friend program by visiting our Refer-a-Friend page or clicking on these additional help links: What is the Refer-a-Friend program? How many friends can I refer? *Referral orders must be placed within 48 hours.

[*]I used a refer-a-friend code, but didn’t get $5 Dynadollars?
    First of all, thank you for creating a Dynadot account! We are confident you will be happy with our services. There are a couple of potentia
I imagine whomever you recommend to Dynadot will be quite satisfied by opting to use the registrar the Pros use.

upload_2020-5-25_13-34-58.png

We are evaluating whether to continue the practice of sending expiry stream to Snapnames on day 36. It does not change the issue of OPT IN. For clear title change at sale, we want users to OPT IN.

What about customers who want to OPT OUT of sending their expired domains to SnapNames? Or the customers who want to OPT OUT of having their domains warehoused by epik?

(A)ICYMI: Todd Han of Dynadot said Dynadot doesn't warehouse their customers domain names. So customers don't need to OPT OUT of having their domains warehoused.

Dynadot as a registrar does not own a portfolio of domains either. All the expired domains in our system are either auctioned off or deleted. We don’t keep any of them for ourselves.

- Todd

So it appears while you evaluate cutting off that revenue stream, you're going to publicly recommend (market/spam) other registrars send their expiry stream to NL?

^^ phrased that way, because DD customers already have the ability to send their domains to NL should they choose. No, it is not a one + two button solution, as it is at epik. Though, I do wonder if the bright minds of Dynadot put some effort into their expiry system, then perhaps they could integrate a better solution than NL.

Last edited:
•••
I won't even bid on names that start $25 or more (domains at other registrars) because those go renewed the most often and you have to message someone if you don't want your money to go into prepaid funds.

•••
I had the same problems on Dynadot, so I dont use Dynadot marketplace (auctions backorders etc) nearly 2-3 years.

Last edited:
•••
This is just normal practice,

•••
You're going to have the same problem with any register you use.... I see these type of threads pop up so often on this forum and they're pointless... why didn't you just go to their support page and ask them yourself. Their support is freaking EPIK ( ;) ) you would of got your answer asap.

FYI.... A lot of people wait to see if their domain, they have expiring gets a bid if so they pay the late fee and renew the domain..

•••

I'm sorry to hear the auction was cancelled and that money was lost. Unfortunately we're unable to end auctions after the domain's grace period ends without shortening the grace periods we offer registrants or greatly increasing the starting price of the auctions, as the domains may then need to be restored from their redemption period rather than renewed.

For domains in our expired auctions that are registered with Dynadot it would be common for the name servers to update after renewal, as the domains may have previously been using a third-party hosting provider and would be moved to our Dynadot name servers upon their expiry. Once the domain was renewed they would then revert to their original name servers.

•••
You have 48 hours to pay. Pay on hour 47 and it will be less likely you don’t get the domain. If the person is going to renew they often do it in the first day or so. Dynadot tells you if your order is cancelled and you are no longer commited to paying. Dynadot needs to do auto refunds if asked too not account credits only.

•••
Don't you think guys all happens because less people are interested in domains? I mean all shady games, less parking revenues in last years etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back