NameSilo

Dynadot.com auctions are completely crap and time wasting

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BuyBrandWeb.com

Praveen ChidaboyinaTop Member
Impact
I have won crypto.house for $311 USD 3 days ago and paid for the auction but I have received a mail after two days and saying that auction got canceled and the amount refunded to my Dynadot account balance.

I was monitoring this name for almost two days before it ends and placed a bid(s) on the last minute and paid for it so simply providing a reseller value to the owner. The owner was watching the auction silently and renewed it on the last minute. How stupid Dynadot to allow to renew and list on their market and they triggered a mail saying that it has listed on market with make an offer!

I think Dynadot should compensate for my time that I've spent on an auction. Only low-quality domains will be awarded like Bitcoins.Media and won it for $29 USD.

This is not the first time, They have canceled many auctions

Vrgl.com ( I have paid $1056 USD then amount credited to my account balance then later refunded to my card since I requested them)
Skitek.com
SocialFeeds.com

@Michael - Can you remove vrgl.com, socialfeeds.com, crypto.house sales history from Namebio since Dynadot canceled the auctions. I guess half of the reported sales from Dynadot were canceled like PaintRoom.com..

I have stopped bidding on Dynadot auctions and I have placed few bids recently to check their progress but they didn't change much.

Vrgl.com canceled on Jan 2018 and they were saying that they noted my feedback but they didn't change after a year also. It seems they wanted to waste our time.

It is not a rocket science. Implement a pre-bidding/ backorder if you want to give more time to the owner then send the domain to auction if it has 2 or more bids after specified deadline.

@Dynadot - Would like to hear your thoughts on it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
After the grace period the domain drops. So it becomes more of a dropcatch than auction situation I think.

•••
Thank you @Dynadot

Please don't change this policy.

It may be an inconvenience for those trying to win a domain at auction, but the full grace period shows a registrar is fully committed to their original client...

You're not getting what I'm saying. It's very simple.
Allow full grace period and conduct the auction for the domains after the grace period then it'll be a win-win situation for both...

ICANN states: "Auto-renew grace period (0-45) days, Redemption Period aka Pending Delete - Renewable (30 days). HOWEVER they also state "Some registrar activity post-expiration may not be reflected in the life cycle chart..."

Life Cycle of a Typical gTLD Domain Name
gtld-lifecycle.jpg

In @Grilled's examples, Dynadot answers the question "Is there a renewal grace period?", prefaced by "Most likely", and state a 30 day grace period, when "renewals are regular price", and an additional 9 day grace period when "renewals include $10 late fee plus regular renewal price" but they don't mention when you may lose domain at auction. Whereas Namesilo, states it has a 33 day grace period, when "domain can be renewed at our regular renewal rates" but clearly states "you may lose the domain on the 31st day, if it is bid upon via auction".

In another example, Namecheap, states "you have a period of about 30 days at Namecheap after the actual expiration date during which you can still renew the domain at the regular rate...If you do not renew the domain within this grace period, it enters a redemption stage for 30 days at the Registry. At this stage, the domain may be auctioned off by the upstream vendors...After expiration of the term of a domain name registration, you acknowledge and agree that offering a "Reactivation Period" is in our sole discretion and that we shall not be liable for any reason should we choose not to offer such period.

IMO, "full grace period", "life cycle", including "Redemption Period", as well as when a domain can be auctioned off, after expiration needs to be standardized and enforced industry wide NOT "Most likely", "about 30 days" and/or in the "sole discretion" of individual registrars. That said, I agree with @BuyBrandWeb.com; "Allow full grace period and conduct the auction for the domains after the grace period..."

Last edited:
•••
Mountains out of mole hills.

•••
@Dynadot
If you are not sure the domain will be renewed, don't put it in the auction! stup*d policy

•••
I think dynadot is only a waste of time. CC problems. Same CC I used for other orders on Dynadot same day.

•••
I think dynadot is only a waste of time. CC problems. Same CC I used for other orders on Dynadot same day.
I'm sorry to hear that, could you please PM us with your Dynadot username and we can take a look at that problem.

•••
A lot not kosher here. Does anyone know the main players auctioning off names here?

•••
I must express my amazement and disappointment when reading this legal clause:

With respect to an Expired Domain Name that is sold free of a payment plan of multiple payments, if You paid Dynadot for Your winning bid and the Expired Domain Name is renewed by its former registrant, Dynadot shall either credit your account for an amount equal to Your winning bid or, at Dynadot's sole and absolute discretion, refund You for an amount equal to Your winning bid.

That´s incredible @Dynadot

Last edited:
•••
Pretending someone to make a payment for a (supposedly) expired domain, when in fact, the whois data shows that it has already been renewed by its owner should be illegal.

@Michael, I would appreciate it if you would remove the domain name augsburg.com from Namebio sales history.

•••
WhoIs information for a domain name in our expired auctions will always show the Registry expiry date as if the domain has been renewed, as we submit a renewal order to the central registry upon the domain's expiry. This renewal is then cancelled if the domain is not renewed before the end of the 40-day grace renewal period, or is not purchased through our expired domain auctions. The Registrar expiry date shown in the WhoIs record would be the true expiry date for domains in our expired domain auctions.

Any open orders for domains from our expired auctions should automatically be cancelled by our system if the existing registrant does renew or transfer the domain name, and the payment would be automatically credited to your Dynadot account. That can be refunded to your original payment method at your request.

•••
@Dynadot
Your so-called User auctions are really waste of time, only geeks can find them on your website.

•••
I've always had a great experience with dynadot auctions. Yes they get cancelled every now and again but not in the main.

As for getting compensation for "keeping an eye" on a domain for 2 days... No

Last edited:
•••
The part that bugs me is that DynaDot auto-loads the refund to your "account balance" which is a rigged game that traps your "fake domain purchases" in their system and can really screw up your finances on larger fake purchases.

A refund on a fake purchase should be a refund straight back to the funding account.

Last edited:
•••
Allow full grace period and conduct the auction for the domains after the grace period then it'll be a win-win situation for both.

But don't the registrar auctions use that grace period to get bids and run the auction?

DynaDot needs to do what GoDaddy did and rewrite the agreements to shorten the period down to give them a week or so to run a fair auction without all these last-minute Larrys renewing any domain with a bid.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back