NameSilo

advice IP Address Got Blacklisted By Doing Outbound Marketing - Help!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

howudoin8

Top Member
Impact
Hello Community,

I have about 25 domains registered for outbound marketing & all Outbound emails are sent through their webservers. All my server email addresses are added as "Alias" in my Gmail account, so I have to log into Gmail to send these emails.

Now I'm using Boomerang for Tracking & sent just 50 mails to prospective clients. Within 4 to 5 days my IP (Provided by my Internet Service Provider) got on the Blacklist (I checked at https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx)

There were No clickable links in sent mails but to be fair, I did not write something to the tune of "If you don't want to get another email from me, then simply respond with 'Unsubscribe'"

Also, I changed only the Client's Name & site url in each outbound email but the rest of the email content was same (For all 50 emails). All 50 emails were sent at different times & not in one go (I used "Send Later" Feature of Boomerang)

So why did I ended up on the Blacklist? What am I doing Wrong?

Do I have to try multiple email templates even for a single campaign of just 50 outbound emails?

Do I need to get multiple IP's & then do outbound marketing (by using those)?

Your inputs would be appreciated.

Regards
Bhupinder

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Shame on you for not reading my response before commenting or Are you just another troller?!

I never said "Big mistake make by spamhaus!". I was merely saying that sending unsolicited email is not spam , but rather sending "Unsolicited Bulk Email" is spam.

This was in response to @xynames where he was claiming that unsolicited email is spam.

You are spammer, stop denials! Namepros should ban accounts.

•••
Well said. Some are obstinate and can’t understand that chasing someone down to buy something they didn’t ask for is spammy. The person who receives it decides if it’s spam or not. If somebody wants to buy your crap domains or web services they will come calling.

I don’t care what the legal definition is, if you have happen to you what happened to the OP you will have to be very selective with your purchases and your outbound targets. I suspect the names were super irrelevant to the business sent to and that’s partly why marked as spam.

I have never seen anyone else here who outbounds complain of this publicly so OP did something above and beyond to get this reaction.

Your suspicion is wrong since I was highly selective with my purchase & outbound targets. Infact, even received price inquiry for some domains.

One has to care about the "legal definition" of spam since only then one can understand as to why they got dinged in the first place. I got blacklisted by SpamHaus & as per their definition, the messages must not have "substantively identical content" or else they would be categorized as spam.

This I believe is the reason for my blacklisting, since even if the messages were sent at different times the content was more or less the same except for Client's name & website.

•••
Your suspicion is wrong since I was highly selective with my purchase & outbound targets. Infact, even received price inquiry for some domains.

One has to care about the "legal definition" of spam since only then one can understand as to why they got dinged in the first place. I got blacklisted by SpamHaus & as per their, the messages must not have "substantively identical content" or else they would be categorized as spam.

This I believe is the reason for my blacklisting, since even if the messages were sent at different times the content was more or less the same except for Client's name & website.

All spams, stop denial. How many you send?

•••
Legal definitions don't matter. I am not a court and I don't have to follow your laws or my laws or Antarctican laws. If I get unsolicited emails from you, especially if they are for sh*tty domains, I am hitting the Spam button.

•••
I'm not a lawyer but CAN-SPAM's definition of spam certainly sounds more stricter than that of SpamHaus.org

It may be stricter than what Spamhaus states on their site, but, in practice, Spamhaus it pretty aggressive. That's partly why they're so well-respected.

As far as gmail is concerned, till today (this campaign was done about a month ago) I haven't received any Communication/Warning for this, so I guess there's not an issue from their side.

You won't receive a warning. Your account will be suspended and you'll lose all access to all Google services from that account. There is no recourse, no ability to appeal, no human you can contact who can even see why your account was suspended. Google is less "evil" about this than some of their competitors, but they're still quite aggressive and won't give you any warning.

If your domains are not relevant to their Existing business than that definitely can be classed as spamming. Usually in such cases people take no time in clicking the "Mark as Spam" button.

However, in my case the domains were relevant to their business & even received inquiries about price after the initial email. Not going to disclose the name here but I offered the .com version to a US Advertising Agency which currently is using the .co version.

That's not how it works. You have to have their explicit permission to email them, or you must have done business with them in the past 180 days, or something like that. (Maybe it's the past year? I don't really remember. It's longer than I'd like it to be.) The relevance of your domain to their business doesn't matter--if it's a commercial solicitation, it's illegal under CAN-SPAM.

I got blacklisted by SpamHaus & as per their definition, the messages must not have "substantively identical content" or else they would be categorized as spam.

Keep in mind that while you may be able to avoid getting blacklisted by Spamhaus, if people continue to mark your messages as spam, you're still going to end up in other blacklists. This will happen regardless of the legality of your emails, though I think we've established at this point that they're illegal in the US anyway. If a high enough percentage of people dislike your emails, private blacklists--such as those maintained internally by large email providers--will start dropping your emails, and they won't give you an option to appeal, unlike Spamhaus. Google gets notified anytime someone marks your messages as spam, and they will eventually take action against your account--without warning.

Legal definitions don't matter. I am not a court and I don't have to follow your laws or my laws or Antarctican laws. If I get unsolicited emails from you, especially if they are for sh*tty domains, I am hitting the Spam button.

While it may sound rude, ultimately, this is what's going to get you, @howudoin8. If enough of your recipients have that attitude, you're going to lose your Google account long before you end up in a courtroom or stuck on blacklists permanently.

•••
I've now got spamcop.net up in my regular tabs, it is now part of my routine as much as I can I am reporting domainers spamming me via email (as well as seo/design spam etc.). Truly great to know I can now do something about this instead of being at the mercy of relentless spam daily (I receive huge volumes of spam emails, maybe as much as 30 or more a day).

For those that think i'm making too big a deal about it, it isn't just the emails and whether they are technically spam which it seems they are, I often seem to get a barrage of these emails when i'm trying to make important business decisions and it throws me and need to get focused and back on track. It's an irritating nuisance which I don't want to have. I am sure most end users feel the same way, we are all busy.

Thanks @xynames now spammers have something to lose, as I wouldn't have sued etc.
Will be interesting to see if my spam slows down at all.

•••
•••
I've never really done any outbound marketing. But I'm curious to know what sort of outbound marketing name pro members do if not email. How do you contact people that would legitimately be interested in a domain? Do you call? Fill out a contact form or just refrain from all outbound marketing?

•••
First of all, the only domains I accept brokerage on are high end ones, more unique, and more specified. If I don't have a preexisting client that would be interested, someone I have in mind for the domain, I don't take it on.

I'm not going to waste a domainer's time taking on a domain to try to sell it when all I would be doing is the same spammy route that he might have undertaken himself.

•••
someone I have in mind for the domain, I don't take it on.

I'm not going to waste a domainer's time taking on a domain to try to sell it when all I would be doing is the same spammy route that he might have undertaken himself.

Logical, pragmatic approach. Can't argue with that. "The No's don't hurt" in business, as an 85 year old mentor once told me when I was young and new in sales. It's the most powerful word in the dictionary for time management and peace of mind.

•••
I'm not seeking advise on how to spam without repercussions! Purpose of this thread is to find the reason for being blacklisted for just sending 50 emails.

Maybe because you deserved it.

Additionally, don't make assumptions that I've "done this before". This 50 email campaign was my first ever & I got blacklisted on 1 out of some 100 blacklists out there. Edited by a moderator to remove vulgarity that originally appeared in this quote.

You are lucky, you got a reality check on your first spamventure.

With the high volume of stupid unsolicited SEO, web page designers, rankers, etc that get through my spam filters that I get barraged with daily from my domains- you need to develop perspective. Perspective on how one's behavior effects other people comes with experience. Narcissism about being "All about me" will implode your career in sales. It's all about the customer, not anything about you.

Assuming that you have depth, an open mind and willingness to listen to people perhaps more experienced than you. Vulgarity isn't necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back