Domain Empire

discuss Investments

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Daniel Albrecht

Established Member
Impact
If you could invest 2,000. What would you look for?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm a relative newcomer and I would say remember two pieces of advice.

1...buying is easy
2...selling is hard and dedicated

I started off with little money and I have spent under $2,000 so far but the estimated value of my 126 name portfolio is $64,000.

This means that the potential return on investment is roughly 37 to 1.

However, I have a list of another 900 domain names to be registered and their estimated values would be $406,000.

The science comes when determining which of the 900 domain names I should register next.

All are hand registrations by me and I usually come up with the names by watching news programmes, both foreign and domestic, social media, dictionary words of the day, my own environment and reading NP as much as possible.

I have .coms, hyphenated names and less popular domain extensions but I view it as spread betting as maybe, just maybe I might just get lucky once and a domain name which on paper looks un-impressive may just win The National (horse racing).

Good luck with your endeavours and remember, don't always listen to good advice!!!

Who appraising your portfolio ?

•••
Just buy one premium single word domain name between 2-5K. Renew 5 years, add a lander, forget. rinse and repeat.

Quality is king. Quantity of shit is a headache.

•••
Just buy one premium single word domain name between 2-5K. Renew 5 years, add a lander, forget. rinse and repeat.

Quality is king. Quantity of sh*t is a headache.

Not always. There are exceptions to every rule in life. There are so many contributing factors to what makes domain investing successful. It is not even luck, which can sometimes help.

You may try to sell a domain next week and get no takers, but if you had just waited a week more you might get two people who want the same thing and the price gets higher.

Entrepreneurs are increasingly having to build a box first and then think outside of it and they may perceive something more quickly than the rest of us and voilá a new entity is born which needs a domain name which is not a .com or a commonly used dictionary word.

Rules are sometimes there to be broken...in moderation of course.

•••
Lets' give you credit when due as you are actively soliciting pre-purchase opinions rather than
asking for post-purchase opinions re your upcoming 2K expenditure.

That said, do factor in that annual domain names renewal costs for unsold names and subtract any potential fees, commissions and, taxes you will likely incur should names be sold as you estimate your
income potential.
That's a very good point. The more domains you buy, the higher the renewal costs.

•••
The lesson learnt over the years is to hold ACEs. It is absolutely great if we can own ACE at cheaper price. The idea is to always buy something that is sellable. The premiums are the ones that are more likely sellable at premium prices.

Here is my buying preference in order:
LLL.com (no hand reg)
LLLL.COM (no hand reg)
1 WORD .COM (no hand reg)
2 WORD .COM (no hand reg)
2 WORD .COM ( hand reg)
1 WORD . OTHER EXTENSIONS ( hand reg / no hand reg)

I'm focused on these two at the moment...

2 WORD .COM (no hand reg)
2 WORD .COM ( hand reg)

Mostly closeouts and recently deleted.

•••
Literally and figuratively speaking we are just gamblers and risk takers.

Some of the buzz is just making money...today.

If I wanted to make money on five years time I would just take out a pension. How much fun would that be? Prudent, sure. Just not fun.

Remember fidget spinners? No one needed them but almost overnight a market and thus the basic economic principal of supply and demand kicked in and a billion dollar worldwide industry was created.

How many people jumped on the bandwagon and lost money thinking that they would buy a 1000 and clean up.

Knowledge can be learned by just about anybody from any walk of life, country or ethnicity but experience has to be lived. This is what I believe I can bring to the table.

I don't think that I have made too many mistakes so far, so it must count for something.

A sprint is usually more breathtaking than a marathon.

No right or wrong way I guess, just my way.

Now where did I put that pen .com

I also think buying one domain means waiting too long. Like you say it wouldn't be much fun and there are probably better things to invest in that have a steady return. Like stock market.

•••
Hi

with $2k to spend investing in domains, it really depends on what type of domainer you plan to be.

do you want to be proactive, sending solicitations, making calls, etc.

or

is the plan to invest, then sit back and wait for inquires, offers and returns?

still, since i'm more of a passive seller, I would take $500 of that $2k and try to purchase a couple of type in traffic domains that earn some ppc revenue. seeking names that have earned at least $2 > $10 a month.

folks say ppc is dead, but I and many others continue to earn $ while we sleep
if you could buy an income of $20 a year, that's 1% return already!

i'd take the rest and buy a 3 letter .org domain
why?
because they have high potential for end-user usage and i have some that earn their renewal fee +some extra $ every year.

imo...

I get 1.5% on my bank savings, so would rather put money there than get traffic revenue of 1%. It just sin't enough return for me. I am focused on being more active but also have a few domains that I'm happy to hold for longer.

Where do you find the domains that have income? I might take a look and see if there's any that provide a return of more than 1%. Is 1% usually the maximum you get or the average?

•••
All my purchases are from Godaddy so it is their valuation tool that I use. I know that it is a guide only and not an exact science but I believe that it is more of a beneficial tool than people give it credit for. In my limited experience, it does reflect what people are prepared to pay for good domains. I see them more as brands for use by business and the like rather than for resellers or for domain name speculators.

If I were to get only 10% of their value I would be happy and then there is the possibility of selling one of my more valuable domain names.

Every day is a new day and I learn something new. Never say never.

All valuation tools are worthless.

•••
I also think buying one domain means waiting too long. Like you say it wouldn't be much fun and there are probably better things to invest in that have a steady return. Like stock market.

Stock market does not gurantee any stable return, atleast in India.

•••
Stock market does not gurantee any stable return, atleast in India.
The return is fairly stable in US/UK/Europe if you're investing long-term. Property as well. India is a growing economy, so surely there must be some good long-term returns. How has the stock market there performed over the last 10-30 years?

•••
Do you want high GDappraised names ?

How many ?

What is your price per name ?
The closeouts usually cost around $5-10 plus a fee. So if I was interested in any that's what I'd pay. Feel free to send me a list.

•••
There will be a lot of (l)earnings ahead. But there could also be a lucky shot. What kind of news-pages/-papers do you read?

Just popular daily newspapers which appeal to a wide selection of society.

Let them do the research of deciding what news or topics are trending and you may just pick up something that others may miss.

Also, the news feeds that appear on my phone that many others just scroll through.

Also, try to identify any emerging technologies in your local area as there may be a need for domain names in the near future.

•••
•••
•••
A one-word .com in aerospace / space exploration / drones

•••
I would buy around 100 names for $20 each (average) and hopefully sell around 5 of them for up to $2,000 each. It's a strategy that's worked for me in the past. Just got back into domaining after a break.
I will like to know your strategies

•••
Basically I just look for closeout domains on GoDaddy, cheap domain on here, etc. I try to pay around $10-$30. I only buy .com names, as I think they're easier to sell and I don't know enough about any others. When I choose a name I try to make sure that there are at least a few end buyers that I can imagine. So maybe .net and .org are already in use or the name is just a decent business name. I try to avoid names that sound nice but don't have any business use. I keep things pretty simple.

The reason I'm buying low priced domains is because I'm still learning. I reckon I'll learn more buying 100 names for $20 each than buying 4 names for $500 each.

I'm planning to do this until early next year and then take stock and see if it's worth continuing.

I also have a few other projects/experiments on the go, so will drop those that aren't working. If one thing really takes off I'll focus on that exclusively.
OK I got it

•••
go with the expireddomain.net and go under the godaddy closeouts... under that filter with the valuation...

Look to buy those names with high evaluation and low number of letters , or meaningful words with .com extension

•••
Feel free to comment and like.

•••
Thanks! :) Got it. What about to create new names instead of buying a 4/5L.com/org/net? And does it make sence to invest into new endings like .blackfriday? xyz? (wtf), shop, tv or citynames?

•••
•••
•••
I would diversify it as much as that limited amount offered.

I would invest about 45% in .com (about fraction traffic on .com) because historically that is where best returns have been. I would ask myself what sorts of businesses are just emerging but scale so that there could well be thousands in cities around the world. I would split the .com between made up pronounceable brandables, words borrowed from ancient or other languages, and two word names where the second word is an extension I can get at hand reg cost and sell as pairs.

I would put a bit in single word .co, io or .ai.

I would search for one good .org at low cost.

I would buy one nice .ca because I am a proud Canadian, eh?

I would put the rest into low cost new extensions that made elegant domain name phrases.

I would spend $50 on silly domain names because I sometimes like silly names and my grandchildren would like those best. We would consider horses, monsters and silly rhymes :xf.grin:

Bob

Can you please break up the portfolio allocation here.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back