Dynadot

discuss Investments

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Daniel Albrecht

Established Member
Impact
If you could invest 2,000. What would you look for?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I will buy quality short names.

•••
4L and 5L pronounceables names in .com

•••
Yes.

More weightage on four letters, lll.com, lll.net, lll.org, ccc.com, 4N.com, 5N.com etc.

•••
Feel free to comment and like.

•••
$ 2000 is too small an investment, need at least $ 5000 to earn an earning of $ 500 per month.

•••
Thanks! :) Got it. What about to create new names instead of buying a 4/5L.com/org/net? And does it make sence to invest into new endings like .blackfriday? xyz? (wtf), shop, tv or citynames?

•••
•••
Thanks! :) Got it. What about to create new names instead of buying a 4/5L.com/org/net? And does it make sence to invest into new endings like .blackfriday? xyz? (wtf), shop, tv or citynames?

Stick to .com only in initial days. When you will expert, you can go for others.

Save your capital first.

•••

Buy something which someone wants to get. Short names do this job. Not only it protects value for long term it also creates immediate liquidity which others can't.

Feel free to Like, comment.

•••
500 $ per month via domain parking?

No, domain parking revenue is near dead, forget it. I am talking about buying and selling of domain names. Buy only 4 letter dot com names at cheap price here at NamePros and sell them at Sedo, Afternic, NameJet, Dan, Epik etc Marketplaces.

•••
•••
I would diversify it as much as that limited amount offered.

I would invest about 45% in .com (about fraction traffic on .com) because historically that is where best returns have been. I would ask myself what sorts of businesses are just emerging but scale so that there could well be thousands in cities around the world. I would split the .com between made up pronounceable brandables, words borrowed from ancient or other languages, and two word names where the second word is an extension I can get at hand reg cost and sell as pairs. ($900)

I would put a bit in single word .co, io or .ai. ($200)

I would search for one good .org at low cost. ($50)

I would buy one nice .ca because I am a proud Canadian, eh? ($50)

I would put the rest into low cost new extensions that made elegant domain name phrases. ($750 including part of pairs)

I would spend $50 on silly domain names because I sometimes like silly names and my grandchildren would like those best. We would consider horses, monsters and silly rhymes :xf.grin:

Bob

Last edited:
•••

I would invest about 45% in .com (about fraction traffic on .com) because historically that is where best returns have been. I would ask myself what sorts of businesses are just emerging but scale so that there could well be thousands in cities around the world. I would split the .com between made up pronounceable brandables, words borrowed from ancient or other languages, and two word names where the second word is an extension I can get at hand reg cost and sell as pairs.

I would put a bit in single word .co, io or .ai.

I would search for one good .org at low cost.

I would buy one nice .ca because I am a proud Canadian, eh?

I would put the rest into low cost new extensions that made elegant domain name phrases.

I would spend $50 on silly domain names because I sometimes like silly names and my grandchildren would like those best. We would consider horses, monsters and silly rhymes :xf.grin:

Bob

sounds like a good "beginners guide" Thanks Bob!

•••

I would invest about 45% in .com (about fraction traffic on .com) because historically that is where best returns have been. I would ask myself what sorts of businesses are just emerging but scale so that there could well be thousands in cities around the world. I would split the .com between made up pronounceable brandables, words borrowed from ancient or other languages, and two word names where the second word is an extension I can get at hand reg cost and sell as pairs.

I would put a bit in single word .co, io or .ai.

I would search for one good .org at low cost.

I would buy one nice .ca because I am a proud Canadian, eh?

I would put the rest into low cost new extensions that made elegant domain name phrases.

Bob

Can you please break up the portfolio allocation here.

•••
Can you please break up the portfolio allocation here.
It is just off the top of my head at 3:30 AM here but I edited my post with $ amounts in each section. They would be mix of hand reg, registrar marketplace and NamePros acquisitions to make the dollars go far.

Bob

•••
•••
I'm a relative newcomer and I would say remember two pieces of advice.

1...buying is easy
2...selling is hard and dedicated

I started off with little money and I have spent under $2,000 so far but the estimated value of my 126 name portfolio is $64,000.

This means that the potential return on investment is roughly 37 to 1.

However, I have a list of another 900 domain names to be registered and their estimated values would be $406,000.

The science comes when determining which of the 900 domain names I should register next.

All are hand registrations by me and I usually come up with the names by watching news programmes, both foreign and domestic, social media, dictionary words of the day, my own environment and reading NP as much as possible.

I have .coms, hyphenated names and less popular domain extensions but I view it as spread betting as maybe, just maybe I might just get lucky once and a domain name which on paper looks un-impressive may just win The National (horse racing).

Good luck with your endeavours and remember, don't always listen to good advice!!!

•••
I'm a relative newcomer and I would say remember two pieces of advice.

1...buying is easy
2...selling is hard and dedicated

I started off with little money and I have spent under $2,000 so far but the estimated value of my 126 name portfolio is $64,000.

This means that the potential return on investment is roughly 37 to 1.

However, I have a list of another 900 domain names to be registered and their estimated values would be $406,000.

The science comes when determining which of the 900 domain names I should register next.

All are hand registrations by me and I usually come up with the names by watching news programmes, both foreign and domestic, social media, dictionary words of the day, my own environment and reading NP as much as possible.

I have .coms, hyphenated names and less popular domain extensions but I view it as spread betting as maybe, just maybe I might just get lucky once and a domain name which on paper looks un-impressive may just win The National (horse racing).

Good luck with your endeavours and remember, don't always listen to good advice!!!

Who appraising your portfolio ?

•••
I would buy around 100 names for $20 each (average) and hopefully sell around 5 of them for up to $2,000 each. It's a strategy that's worked for me in the past. Just got back into domaining after a break.

•••
Just buy one premium single word domain name between 2-5K. Renew 5 years, add a lander, forget. rinse and repeat.

Quality is king. Quantity of shit is a headache.

•••
Who appraising your portfolio ?

All my purchases are from Godaddy so it is their valuation tool that I use. I know that it is a guide only and not an exact science but I believe that it is more of a beneficial tool than people give it credit for. In my limited experience, it does reflect what people are prepared to pay for good domains. I see them more as brands for use by business and the like rather than for resellers or for domain name speculators.

If I were to get only 10% of their value I would be happy and then there is the possibility of selling one of my more valuable domain names.

Every day is a new day and I learn something new. Never say never.

•••
Just buy one premium single word domain name between 2-5K. Renew 5 years, add a lander, forget. rinse and repeat.

Quality is king. Quantity of sh*t is a headache.

Not always. There are exceptions to every rule in life. There are so many contributing factors to what makes domain investing successful. It is not even luck, which can sometimes help.

You may try to sell a domain next week and get no takers, but if you had just waited a week more you might get two people who want the same thing and the price gets higher.

Entrepreneurs are increasingly having to build a box first and then think outside of it and they may perceive something more quickly than the rest of us and voilá a new entity is born which needs a domain name which is not a .com or a commonly used dictionary word.

Rules are sometimes there to be broken...in moderation of course.

•••

Quality is king. Quantity of sh*t is a headache.
That is a good strategy but turnover could be very slow. I would prefer cheaper names and quicker turnover. I think it's easier to make money that way. Expensive names usually take much longer to sell. But it's up to each individual to choose a strategy that suits them. This strategy suits you so is one you should follow, but it won't work for everyone. There is a whole load of money to be made with cheaper and faster turnover domains. Neither strategy is really better than the other, as both work. One downside to buying just one domain name is that it could take maybe 5 years to sell, so you'd be waiting 5 years for a profit. Of course you'd also save yourself a load of time as you'd have less to sell.

•••
There will be a lot of (l)earnings ahead. But there could also be a lucky shot. What kind of news-pages/-papers do you read?

•••
Back