Dynadot

.tv Interview With Brokerage.tv

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Brokerage.tv has been asked by different NamePros participants to answer a few questions, share thoughts, and provide insight on the current marketplace and future direction of the .tv extension.

Interview With Brokerage.tv:

Do you see a significant increase in traffic on your parked/developed .tv names ?

Yes, on certain parked premium domains we see a very significant increase in traffic, which we attribute to the development of similar .tv domains and the further use of the .tv extension.

Notably, various development projects have received greater and greater search engine traffic.

Perhaps, the greatest attribute of top tier premium domains we have developed into other businesses, is the ability domains such as www.lending.tv have been marketed and remembered by our target audiences!

Do you get more offers on your .tv names? Have you got recent sales? As far as you may know from those contacts are they pure investors or end-users?

Yes, we are gradually getting more offers on our domains, though mostly premiums.

The majority of our clients seem to have very high expectations for their domains, and have been very reluctant to sell.

It is understandable, as with our private most premium holdings we are turning down multiple low to mid $xx,xxx offers, and about 100 of those offers a year. I am guessing that most high end owners, as well as ourselves, have the patience to wait for the market to catch up with our expectations.

We have had a recent handful of non premium registrations sell for $500 to $1000, though many could be mistaken for premiums (both 1 and 2 word).

I would like to ad that it is my greatest advice to any investor of the .tv domain, to forget about the notion of having a 100 poor to mediocre .tv domains, and instead focus their effort on even 1 most incredible premium domain.

It is also important to make sure that this domain is secured at a reasonable price, and with manageable yearly fees. I know that www.tv often negotiates on the registrations with their domains. Also, on the second hand market, I know that the majority of our private premium domain holdings at www.brokerage.tv, as well as many at greatdomains.com, our only $50/year in registration fees, due to the buying power and negotiations of very large bulk .tv purchasers years back.

In response to the last question, we find that the majority of final purchases at our site come from end users of the domains, though most offers come from investors trying to low ball the best domains.

Do you still invest in this extension, and what is your general appreciation regarding the current progression of the extension?

Yes, we still pick up some .tv domains here and there, though we are now redirecting our purchasing dollars into the development of our domains.

The .tv domain is definitely progressing at a very steady and profound rate. I personally study the use of the .tv extension on tv and elsewhere, and have seen a 400% increase in television usage last year alone (1000% over the last 3) in the LA area.

I have seen more and more use of the .tv extension on other various advertising medians (magazines, leaflets, t-shirts, work trucks, radio, etc), and am always excited to see the great use and implementation of the .tv domain for businesses advertising in my travels all over the world.

Do you consider that the current discounts on registrations and renewals, the $50 transfer fee, offered by the .tv Corp are a 'plus' for the expansion of the extension ?

Yes. The more that people can afford to use the .tv extension for the start of their business, or website, the better.

I would very much like to see Verisign drop the annual registration fees for their premium domains about 60% to 70%, and owners of investment .tv domains be more willing to drop the prices of their domains to eager buyers who are ready to develop and market their .tv website full board.

Do you think that this current discount campaign announces major changes after 6 years of a frozen VeriSign/.Tv Corp business model ? Do you think that .tv premium reg fees will continue to raise?

I think this is a good sign that Verisign is seriously rethinking its strategies for the .tv domain. About the only thing you could be certain that Verisign will do is be conservative with every approach to their business.

Though this brings slow change, it is also sure to bring constant stability, something that ensures the steady, yet sometimes slow, success and progression of the .tv registration market.

I do think that premium reg fees for domains still in control by Verisign will raise with the growing market. In my opinion, I think we will see Verisign sell at least a hundred $100,000 to $1,000,000 year registrations over the next 10 years, and I do not expect them to turn money like that away when the market permits.

If you could manage yourself the entire .tv retail business, what would you ideally do in order to boost the .tv market, stimulate the demand from end-users & from speculators?

Would you be more aggressive in promoting the extension, how? In reaching the industry and/or general public audience through traditional medias?

Would you lower the reg fee down to the standard/regular one (+/-equal to for example a .mobi registration fee?)

Would you promote the extension in domaining events such like Traffic?

If Brokerage.tv managed the entire .tv retail business, the first thing we would is launch a very aggressive television advertising campaign in major metropolitan cities nationwide, then worldwide, using motivating and inspirational commercials similar to the ones used when .tv first started up. See them here:
http://brokerage.tv/about.htm

Notably, it was during the first running of these commercials that The .tv Corp (Now a Verisign Company), registered drugstore .tv for $500,000, as well as free.tv, china.tv, and gay.tv for $100,000 each!

I would keep non premium registration fees where they are, lower the premiums some, and though I would participate in great events like Traffic, my focus would be on cheerleading to the general public that .tv is here! That a new day in the internet has finally come!

Though internet has become widely used through out the whole world, nothing is as main stream as the television set. This is where everyday people, and business owners set in old ways, get notions and ideas in their heads everyday.

As for .mobi and the other hundreds of extensions, none but .com really have much of anything on .tv, and I predict that even the mighty .com, will one day be second to the evolution of the internet embodied in the .tv extension.

Do you think that the few .tv sales weekly reported (DNjournal) are positive factors for the promotion of the extension?

Yes, but I think that 95% of the sales are made privately and unreported.

Do you think that we, modest domainers, should revise our own asking prices and change them to reasonable/accessible prices (e.g Dvd.tv sold for 'only' $5K) or do you consider this is not asserting the value of the extension ?

I think that Dvd.tv had the potential to sell in $xxx,xxx though the seller of this domain may have made a nice and modest profit on the domain.

Though I would have personally held out for a minimum $20,000, I do not think this was a bad sale. An opportunity was passed on to a new buyer, one who might develop the domain into a great business, make a greater name for .tv, or make headlines with a 7 figure sale four years from now.

I think that the public needs to lower their expectations on non premium domains, and hold onto phenomenal domains until a comfortable profit is made.

If dvd.tv was the only premium domain of the sort that I owned, and it was at a reasonable yearly rate, I would probably be patient and let that domain mature for some years.

If I had 10 + domains just like it, I may take a profit here and there, to recover much of my initial investment.

Do you think that the .mobi success can hamper the .tv progression?

No way.

Do you know what other big portfolios currently think about the .tv extension? Do you think that some or most of them have in their portfolio .tv names 'just in case'?

I think that most have their eyebrows lifted, while many have themselves well invested in .tv.

Definitely these big portfolio owners are not invested in .tv "just in case", they are invested because they have had success once before in the boom of the .com market, and they see a true blue winner when they see one!

We often hear that VeriSign/.TV Corp does not 'like' domainers and keeps increasing generic names at premium fees in order to preserve them from us in favor of end-users, do you think this is right and this is a well targeted business strategy?

I think that VeriSign/The .tv Corp loves domainers, and they are the biggest part of their business. They keep their premium domains high because they are domainers themselves, and they know what they can get for a business.tv.

Do you believe that the increasing number of small and large entities willing to offer video contents can benefit to the .tv extension popularity/usage/recognition, the .tv becoming a real niche and the specific extension for streaming contents (e.g Brightcove internet TV services, NarrowStep...) ?

Of course, but remember the entire internet is becoming more and more media rich. The internet is not black and white anymore.

The internet will soon be coming in 3D and hands free. If you don't believe me ask Bill Gates. He is betting on it!

Do you think that the .tv extension primarily seen as the extension for the TV arena is getting more and more registrants from diverse sectors of the industry (e.g Bud.tv...) ?

Yes, it is happening everywhere and in every kind of industry, on tv and in print.

The .tv domain is universal, as is TV and internet. It is the evolution of the human language. Televisions are now being mass manufactured by computer companies, and computers mass manufactured by tv companies. Internet usage is skyrocketing and broadband is becoming common even in 3rd world countries. You can't stop progress.

Do you think that despite all that we can consider as obstacles to its expansion the extension against all odds works fine ?

If you asked 10 people a year ago if they heard of .tv, 2 would have answered yes.

Ask the same 10 people today, at least 7 know of the .tv extension.

What do you think the response will be a year from now, or 5 years from now, after all the Bud.tv's, MLB.tv's, etc. have been marketed into the minds of every Super Bowl and hit sitcom viewer the world over?

What are the .tv sites you enjoy the most?

I really am fond of sites like www.4kids.tv , www.mlb.tv , www.mp3.tv

A million thanks Brokerage.tv for your time and great input, I am sure that your professional views and advices will be much appreciated by the growing number of .tv fans in this forum!

It is my pleasure, and an honor for us to be part of something so special that is .tv!

Please visit us at www.brokerage.tv for all your .tv needs and requests. We can also be reached in our US Office at 949-295-2016.

It is so exciting to see so many great people, and so many big and small businesses getting behind .tv with so much passion and positive enthusiasm! The future looks so very very bright for the new frontier of the internet!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thank you brokerage.tv

very helpful, as usual

•••
Lool ! Answers to my questions were supposed to go to "Big Brother" thread !!!! But thank you anyway for participating ! :)

Last edited:
•••
thanks a lot - I even didnt know about drugstore.tv for 500 000 usd when I reg. my idrugstore.tv :)

•••
Fantastic interview! I'm hyped more then ever! Go.TV Go!!

•••
It makes me want to buy 10 more!!

•••
would you please help me answer one question: why some .tv sales are not reported at dnjournal? thank you!

•••
dndriver said:
would you please help me answer one question: why some .tv sales are not reported at dnjournal? thank you!

because of private transactions, and for most of these you may easily understand why :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back