IT.COM

discuss Internet is changing, and so does the domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Heisenberg.d

Established Member
Impact
Hi folks,

As we can see a rapid shift in recent internet, web3 is just around the corner. I would like to know your thoughts on future of domain names?

What change do you want to see in domain ecosystem?

Do we need a completely new eco system? Or update into existing domain environment?

What major shift do you see in domain names?

And what do you suggest? What you expect?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't see any threat from the blockchain jokes..
One threat might be if internet becomes a totally immersive reality where people may or may not use urls anymore. There will be "portals" and we still might use existing domains for those portals. (This was said by Zuck in that fb connect where he changed name to Meta)

•••
A lot of mega questions, complied into one thread...

Regarding "the future", I don't really think speculative thoughts today are worth much. Blockchain domains are here to stay, see how that plays out over the next decade. I do like the thought of a more decentralized way of domains being handled, than a central manager, if that worked out for the better. How that works out in a serious / viable way...I have no clue. Any thoughts, changes, new systems, updates or major shifts will be suggested / made clear by the market over time, and that's anyone's guess as of now. IMO

Last edited:
•••
whole new technology should be invented to replace the domain world, nobody knows the future, so better not to worry about these things.

•••
This is interesting!

I'm also wondering if this will change the industry forever and how long it will take.

Please let's bring some solid arguments about this.

Unfortunately, I'm not a blockchain, metaverse or crypto expert, so I can't add much to the topic.

•••
Have discuss this in other topics.
It all depends of what will become of AR/VR/XR/MR/MV and how it will operate, because we are sure going to switch from PC/mobiles to those kind of glasses.
You can compare what have become of the Internet as we know it, most people spend their time on FB, Twitter, Reddit, Discord etc.
There is a risk that Metaverse will be owned by one corporation, in such case no one will need domains.
Humans are lazy to create their own website, sorry to say like that, for them is easier to go to FB or Discord and feed the Privacy grabbers, do you really think Discord or Telegram crap is not collecting user data, yeah dream, everything is collected and processed by a global AI and all this apps are one Kraken with allot of tentacles.
I think what we can do is to sell our domains cheaper to verified end users so that big corporations don't own them to control the internet as Zuckerberg plans to do.

Last edited:
•••
Have discuss this in other topics.
It all depends of what will become of AR/VR/XR/MR/MV and how it will operate, because we are sure going to switch from PC/mobiles to those kind of glasses.
You can compare what have become of the Internet as we know it, most people spend their time on FB, Twitter, Reddit, Discord etc.
There is a risk that Metaverse will be owned by one corporation, in such case no one will need domains.
Humans are lazy to create their own website, sorry to say like that, for them is easier to go to FB or Discord and feed the Privacy grabbers, do you really think Discord or Telegram crap is not collecting user data, yeah dream, everything is collected and processed by a global AI and all this apps are one Kraken with allot of tentacles.
I think what we can do is to sell our domains cheaper to verified end users so that big corporations don't own them to control the internet as Zuckerberg plans to do.

What if the buyer in turns sells to Zuckerberg?

•••
What if the buyer in turns sells to Zuckerberg?
Yes I have think of that, you never know how it can turn, I think the power of great/important domains must be in the hands of honest people and never be sold to anyone.

•••
There is a risk that Metaverse will be owned by one corporation,

Why do you believe that?

Humans are lazy to create their own website,

For that I suspect Qr codes will be more used in meta world, and this will reduce dependency on domain names over web3.

I do like the thought of a more decentralized way of domains being handled, than a central manager,

A centralized way of handling domain names is essential for the authenticity of domain names, at least you have someone to question.

•••
Back