IT.COM

Internet addresses set for change

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
sometimes change is good ...........sometimes if it aint broke .........dont fix it

But i am from an english speaking country

•••
My personal view is alittle different from my domaining view. I am pleased that people in countries where english is not their native language will be able to use whatever they are familiar with. From a domainers view, where my concern with new very costly company extentions comming out didn't bother me too much, the use of mass affordable general ext does.

•••
imagine the godaddy offer

also available in

hebrew
arabic
manderin
etc
etc

companies will just do .tm ?? or pay for their acronym or name or .......my head hurts

•••
•••
I saw this news on TV and was wondering "so what?" Can domainers please tell me how this is news given that IDNs have been around so long that there is even a dedicated forum for them on NP? I am a little confused :?

•••
The first Internationalised Domain Names (IDNs) could be in use next year.

Plans for IDNs were first approved at a meeting in June 2008, but testing of the system has been going on for two years.

From a domainer standpoint this changes very little. What they are doing is working to make IDNs more compatible in the full spectrum of the internet.

•••
Last edited:
•••
soon it will be:

*.*.*.*

Hold on! :O

•••
It's all well and good to comment based on what you think you know now, but .. if people don't have even a basic understanding of what this actually means and what has been going on for many years then I'd stfu as I might look pretty stupid in the not too distant future.

•••
Internet domain names set to appear in non-Latin scripts

This article is two days old. Maybe there is already a thread on here about it? But I did not see one. Opinions?

(CNN) -- The group that controls top-level domain codes for Internet addresses is poised to permit non-Latin language codes for the first time in its history.
"It's the single biggest change in 10 or 15 years," said Rod Beckstrom, CEO of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers.
The board of directors of the International Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) will vote on the proposed protocol for Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) -- those represented by local language characters -- Friday at its meeting in Seoul, South Korea.
The change, which has a target implementation date of November 16, would allow Web addresses in Cyrillic, Arabic, Hindi, Chinese and others.
"This is one of the most exciting developments for the users of the Internet globally in years," said Beckstrom. "IDNs will enable the people the world over to use domain name addresses in their own language."
Beckstrom said support for the change is strong around the world and that all objections had "been handled."
"So I think it's just extremely probable, and we're really excited to move forward with that," he said.
Video: Domain names open up
And if, as expected, it does move forward, it means that Web surfing is about to get easier for about half of the world's 1.6 billion Internet users.
"There are over 40 million users in the Arab world," said Wael Ghanim, Google's product and marketing manager for the Middle East and Africa, "and this number is expected to increase in the coming days, which in turn makes the Arabic language one of the strategic languages through which a lot of companies, for instance Google, are interested in."
But some worry that the change could lead to more miscommunication.
This is one of the most exciting developments for the users of the Internet globally in years
--Rod Beckstrom
"If Korean is used during the international communication, foreigners won't be able to understand and won't be able to read it well enough, so there could be some problems in communication," said South Korean Internet user Chang Yong-woong.
But others see the IDNs opening the Internet to a much broader population.
"If they can make this technology work, and people can use their own language to enter in addresses, I think that that would really expand the practical applications of the Internet," said Chinese Internet cafe owner Zhang Zhiming.
"People from different walks of life and different age groups could get more engaged with it."
One question that has not yet been resolved, however, is how people in countries that use the Latin script will be able to access Web sites with Korean, Hindi or Arabic domain names.
ICANN doesn't have an answer to that, but is confident a new technology will fill that gap soon.

Source: Internet domain names set to appear in non-Latin scripts - CNN.com

•••
•••
bfluid...your thread has been merged with this existing one...

•••
•••
•••
I saw this news on TV and was wondering "so what?" Can domainers please tell me how this is news given that IDNs have been around so long that there is even a dedicated forum for them on NP? I am a little confused :?

If i remember right it means:

actually we have büro.com (just name is idn)

and the breaking news now are there could be büro.büro (name and tld are idn)

so there would not be need if you have exp. chinese keyboard to switch to english just to type .com or .net

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back