IT.COM

discuss Input Sought: How to move from $$$$ to $$$$$

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I am in late stages of a NamePros Blog article looking at how to move from sales at the $$$ / $$$$ level, to sales at the $$$$$ level. The idea for an article on this topic was suggested by a NamePros member.

I would really appreciate some input from those who are making $$$$$ sales on how you upped your game to be selling at the $$$$$ price level. If I quote your idea in the article, I will acknowledge you.

Thank you in advance to all who respond.

Sincerely,

Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am in late stages of a NamePros Blog article looking at how to move from sales at the $$$ / $$$$ level, to sales at the $$$$$ level. The idea for an article on this topic was suggested by a NamePros member.

I would really appreciate some input from those who are making $$$$$ sales on how you upped your game to be selling at the $$$$$ price level. If I quote your idea in the article, I will acknowledge you.

Thank you in advance to all who respond.

Sincerely,

Bob
XXXX material is rare enough, but XXXXX material is 10X the rarity. My advice is to keep slowly building a solid portfolio and reprice the best continuously. "The best", as time moves on, can very well be a handreg from 5 years ago. Build from the ground up to allow higher prices, or even "offer-agnostic" thinking, on a select few. This is the strategy I use for full time domaining in the 10k portfolio range, that can not allow for long stretches of low sales numbers (if you're not OK with starvation or defaulting.)

To reach for the top you need something to stand on.

•••
Reasons: Domain (or niche) becomes popular later. Potential buyers have big budget. Potential buyers make a decision to buy. Potential buyers are exposed to other high priced sales. Agents/marketplaces may convince them to pay 5 figures, for example, when endusers make a search they see ridiciluous domains are listed for 6 figures... so they may feel they are getting a steal for 5 figures. They look at lower quality alternatives hoping they would be cheaper, and realize they are even more expensive.
Agents/marketplaces/midpeople/investors/.. may try to buy from seller and sell to the buyer and there may be a gap there (I mean little gap in time, big gap in amount),.. and sellers may have to work hard to fill that gap...
I feel I missed some 5 figure sales in the past. But being too greedy is not healthy either. You need to guess the sweet spot (time and price) for each domain separately. (mostly logic, little experience).

Last edited:
•••
Hi

this simplest way... to ask for such amounts.

and probably the most difficult, is to acquire domains that are worth those amounts.

and that's where capital, knowledge, experience, timing, research, etc. etc comes into play
might be best for those just entering with lower budgets to scale up, incrementally.

imo...

•••
I like to keep my pricing pretty consistent.. except.. for an influx of interest in the keyword via media (social, television). Only then have I used it as justification to increase to xx,xxx from xxxx because in my eyes it makes that particular keyword special, rarer because of perceived forth-coming demand. It hasn't paid off yet, but these things can take time. There are probably less than five domains in my portfolio I have adjusted pricing for in this regard.

To reach for the top you need something to stand on.
Beautifully put.

•••
Thanks to those who already offered comments.

I hope others who
  1. Have made sales at the $$$$$ level
  2. Have a comment to share on how to achieve success at that price point
will share here.

Thank you,

Bob

•••
I hope @AbdulBasit.com chimes in, he seems to be the most consistent 5 figure seller I know of.

•••
Thanks @enterscope for tagging.

@Bob Hawkes
All of my sales are either in 4 figures or in the 5 figures range. What I've learned over the decade of domaining is that you need to scale up in numbers. Quality of the domains only doesn't work. One needs to have quantity along with the quality. I've seen many domain investors say that they should go for quality only but that's not enough if one is targeting to have consistent income and want to make it as a full time business.

Last year I had at least one 5 figure sale a month on an average. So far on the similar track this year as well. As of today, I've now 6,750+ domains. It took 11+ years to reach this many domains. Quite a long time...

In the end, I would say that once you've added a very few thousands of domains, you'll see 4 and 5 figure sales happening on a regular basis. Keeping in mind that to reach at that level of numbers, you will not compromise on the quality of domains.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks @enterscope for tagging.

@Bob Hawkes
All of my sales are either in 4 figures or in the 5 figures range. What I've learned over the decade of domaining is that you need to scale up in numbers. Quality of the domains only doesn't work. One needs to have quantity along with the quality. I've seen many domain investors say that they should go for quality only but that's not enough if one is targeting to have consistent income and want to make it as a full time business.

Last year I had at least one 5 figure sale a month on an average. So far on the similar track this year as well. As of today, I've now 6,750+ domains. It took 11+ years to reach this many domains. Quite a long time...

In the end, I would say that once you've added a very few thousands of domains, you'll see 4 and 5 figure sales happening on a regular basis. Keeping in mind that to reach at that level of numbers, you will not compromise on the quality of domains.
So basically, it's almost impossible, and you still can't have doubts. Similar journey here. Get rich quick folks can step right out.

•••
So basically, it's almost impossible, and you still can't have doubts. Similar journey here. Get rich quick folks can step right out.

It's possible to make this as a full time business and completely rely on it. One needs to work a lot harder, be more creative, consistent and requires more money than ever before.

But never a get quick rich scheme like you've already mentioned.

•••
Thanks for taking the time to reply, @AbdulBasit.com , and thanks to @enterscope for the nudge! Your success is impressive at this price level, and thank you for sharing your ideas.

I hope that some others who have not posted yet will do so. I know we have tons of people on NamePros with 5-figure sales, and would really appreciate additional viewpoints.

Thanks also for those who have already replied.

Bob

•••
You need better names, and to get better names you're going to have to pay more.

So stop looking for names in the pending delete lists, godaddy closeouts, etc and start buying expiring domains at auction from the registrars/dropcatchers. If you're willing to spend even as little as $2-500 on a domain the quality goes through the roof.

Last edited:
•••
Last chance if anyone who has not already posted wants to share their secret to finding success in moving to 5-figure sales. Thanks to those who have already commented.
Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back