Domain Empire

sales Input sought - How has last month been in sales and queries?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
Hi NamePros friends,

I am working on an article on statistical trends due to the pandemic. I am not yet 100% sure whether I will find any clear enough trends to publish it at NamePros, but if I do I would also like to include commentary from domain investors as part of the article.

Therefore, if you would be so kind, please add in replies to this post any information or comments that you are willing to share publicly. By posting here I am assuming that you are fine with me quoting you in the article, with attribution of course.
  1. Have you seen any significant changes in number of offers, sales or inquiries during the past month?
  2. On the sales front, have you seen changes in the types of domain names that are getting traffic or inquiries, either in terms of price level or niche?
  3. If you do parking, have you noted any change in parking revenue of late? (e.g. more people on Internet, has it meant more visits to parking sites and clicks).
While I will not be able to include all comments, I really appreciate all who take the time to respond.

Sincerely,

Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••

Last edited:
•••
•••
Below is self-explanatory sales history trend from Namebio.
Jan 19, 2020 thru April 19, 2020.
Domain-Name-Sales-History- NameBio-2020-01-19-2020-04-19.png

hope it helps.

•••
Only tips I see is

Consistency
Persistence
And gather knowledge

No other secret recipe or short cut to success

using words shortcut and domaining in same post is a recipe for disaster not success.

•••
•••
it doesn't show how many sales?
maybe its 5000% more sales at 50% less each :)
It reflects average sales volume.
If you want the breakdown, you can order it from Namebio.

Last edited:
•••
It reflects average sales volume.
If you want the breakdown, you can order it from Namebio.

ah ok. i think you tried to show sales are down. so i made point they may not be.

•••
Thanks for posting @Josytal. Should the low average sales of last week persist for a few more weeks, seem strong evidence of an April decline. If you look back a bit further, it seems to me any other change is within normal variation, however.

The problem with weekly average is it can be driven down by two things:
  • The average sales prices are really going down.
  • The retail prices are not changing, but there are more wholesale transactions taking place within price range covered and that pulls average price down (or they are changing in price).
The top graph below looks at $400+ sales only. I would conclude no trend except perhaps last week or so in April. The graph below that is for the same period, and all TLDs still, but now for all transactions $100+. That graph indicates a general downward trend from November last year, but if you go back further, maybe about same as recently. Note that the vertical scale is different on the two graphs.

The difference between these two graphs suggests to me that it is the wholesale end of market that is driving the change in average weekly sales price.

Bob

PS In case wondering why I did not do full year, once you get to the voice sale it so messes up scaling that the graphs are impossible to interpret.

• Average400Plus.png
AverageWeeklyApril2020.png

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the info Bob. The charts confirm we are in a major bear market for domains. If you look at the charts like you are doing stock market technical analysis it's real bearish looking. i.e. since its Oct high there's a series of lower major highs, and we are down 2/3 from high levels and under old support levels.

That helps explain (at least to a degree) why my sales and inquiries are down big time. In fact, they started trending down a few years ago.

After making a lot of mistakes in domains for a long time at least I finally did the best thing by trimming my portfolio over past several years from over 3,000 to about 1,200 last year, down to its current level of a bit over 300 now marked auto-renew, and even that short list is being reviewed.

P.S. This trend is not necessarily related to only coronavirus but has been underway for a long time.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for posting @Josytal. Should the low average sales of last week persist for a few more weeks, seem strong evidence of an April decline. If you look back a bit further, it seems to me any other change is within normal variation, however.

The problem with weekly average is it can be driven down by two things:
  • The average sales prices are really going down.
  • The retail prices are not changing, but there are more wholesale transactions taking place within price range covered and that pulls average price down (or they are changing in price).
The top graph below looks at $400+ sales only. I would conclude no trend except perhaps last week or so in April. The graph below that is for the same period, and all TLDs still, but now for all transactions $100+. That graph indicates a general downward trend from November last year, but if you go back further, maybe about same as recently. Note that the vertical scale is different on the two graphs.

The difference between these two graphs suggests to me that it is the wholesale end of market that is driving the change in average weekly sales price.

Bob

PS In case wondering why I did not do full year, once you get to the voice sale it so messes up scaling that the graphs are impossible to interpret.
While we may not be 100% certain of the full impact of downward trend of average sales prices on volume of successful transactions, one thing is glaringly clear:

The trend is dealing a big blow to overall income of retail Marketplaces - since they mostly work on commission bases.

Many domainers are cutting down asking prices to adjust to the new market realities, the "domain glut". Whether or not this strategy is sustainable, only time can tell.

And the big guns are seizing the opportunity.
So, it'll be logical to hypothesize further increase in completed sales at the wholesale end of market, which is more or less elastic.

Last edited:
•••
Pandemic
Convert Global life TO become depended on ONLINE Life!
Online is a word That every was believed it will come on the future.
If we believe it or not our Today life's started to depended on Online System

Thanks
DiamondDomain
Management

•••
I'm new begin and haven't sold yet:dead:

But I think the market will take a turn for the better slowly as the epidemic improves.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back