IT.COM

Initial Contact of Buyers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
One of the areas that I am currently dropping the ball is on the inital contact of buyers.

Is it acceptable to "cold-Call" a potential buyer via email and if so does anyone have a suggestion as to what works best

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
yeah, I think you should contact a potential buyer. Ask him if hes interested, give him some information, tho not too much, and just give him your contact if hes interested.

•••
The best way to sell is through direct contact

email if they understand computers and the net

phone and/or snail mail if they don't have a clue
of how to open their email

Either one needs a domain name and a web site

Good Selling

John ;)

•••
email contact has worked for me & it should for you, just be sure you are reaching "targeted/industry specific" contacts who would have an interest in the particular name your offering..

And it's always helpful too get your hands on a list of "new businesses" in your state. These lists contain:
owner name
phone
address
email
business name
and
SIC code

* reaching an untapped market of buyers is helpful.. those who have just opened up their retail commercial establishment.. yet may not be online yet in the sense of a www..
prime candidates!

Goodluck!

•••
Years ago, I made my first sale via this "cold call" method. The company owned both the .NET and the .ORG, and I had registered the .COM before either of them. I registered the domain with a totally different concept in mind ... and had no clue that their type of business even existed. Honest to God. :)
One day I decided to send an e-mail, long since gone. We went back and forth and always remained 100% professional. I sent them my "final offer", and three days later is was accepted. We proceeded to escrow (using the old GreatDomains' Escrow Only service), it took some time to do all of the faxing, notarizations, ad infinitum ... but approximately three to four weeks later I received my check (minus $500.00 for the Escrow service).
Those were different times, for sure ... but if you have any doubt of the potential of domain resales, you will be heartened by this story.
THAT was my very first domain "cold call" AND my very first sale! The check amount was $6,350 U.S.
The domain and website are still up-and-running to this day, and I hope the very nice and professional folks at that small company in Ohio are doing well with it.
Should you be proactive in your marketing efforts?
The answer is "YES", of course. Approach your leads in an open, honest, and professional manner and I think you may be surprised with the results.
Thanks for allowing me to share. :)

•••
i think just calling or emailing is the best

infact i just started emailing a few potencial<sp> buyers

if they have a website try finding a contact email and a name
i got one company/shop interested so far so it does work

•••
that's "GOODSTUFF" CoolHost..

will be a breath of encouragement too this panel..

glad you shared that.. GOODSTUFF!!

it can happen, and it does happen..
but the "stuff" has too be "good"..
good, quality domain.. & target the right end buyer..

•••
Originally posted by WandaCox
that's "GOODSTUFF" CoolHost..

will be a breath of encouragement too this panel..

glad you shared that.. GOODSTUFF!!

it can happen, and it does happen..
but the "stuff" has too be "good"..
good, quality domain.. & target the right end buyer..

Sometimes timing and luck help, too ... but I think, to some degree, you make your own luck through hard work and dedication.
Thanks, Wanda!
PS. You make some FINE points, as well ... MIGHTY fine. :)

•••
Thanks everyone for the comments, some interesting thoughts.

I have no doubt about the potential of domain sales, however we have not proactively solicited sales since before the bubble burst. ( Ahh!! Those were the days )

Most of our sales these days have come from client referrals or our hosting and design business.

I guess to refine my question, II am really wondering if when contacting someone who might be interested in a name that is for sale do you start with the "value of a quality domain ...." or do you have an approach that you find works for you.

Thanks

•••
CenterPoint, I am dropping the ball as well when it comes to contacting potential buyers, I really have to start doing something soon cause things arnt going too well on the sales side for me and if I wish to continue working online I gotta start making things happen. I don't feel comfortable contacting people/companies out of the blue.

Every day I hear the Wife scream " SHOW ME THE MONEY "

Mike

•••
Originally posted by Tippy
I don't feel comfortable contacting people/companies out of the blue.

Mike

I can relate to that, It can be very difficult especially when the people you are talking too are not online and have no concept of the business

Originally posted by Tippy

Every day I hear the Wife scream " SHOW ME THE MONEY "

Mike

I think that goes with the territory :)

•••
Don't be afraid of email contact..

What's the "worse" thing that can happen?

well, the worse thing is they say "no".. or "take me off your list"

if you can live with that.. the worst thing..
then.. remember that for ever so many rejections.. there is an acceptance waiting in the wind..

•••
Originally posted by WandaCox
Don't be afraid of email contact..

What's the "worse" thing that can happen?

well, the worse thing is they say "no".. or "take me off your list"

if you can live with that.. the worst thing..
then.. remember that for ever so many rejections.. there is an acceptance waiting in the wind..

Righto!
"Cold calling" is the ULTIMATE numbers game ... and with dedication, persistence, and especially, repetition ... the numbers will almost always work in your favor, over time!
CP, I would suggest making the initial contacts without any numbers, and then it is most likely YOU that will have to lead through both the Asking price and negotiations (start with a number you're comfortable with), as well as the transfer and close. It's all well worth the effort, in most cases IMHO.
Thanks, all ... sweet thread. :)

•••
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
Righto!
"Cold calling" is the ULTIMATE numbers game ... and with dedication, persistence, and especially, repetition ... the numbers will almost always work in your favor, over time!
CP, I would suggest making the initial contacts without any numbers, and then it is most likely YOU that will have to lead through both the Asking price and negotiations (start with a number you're comfortable with), as well as the transfer and close. It's all well worth the effort, in most cases IMHO.
Thanks, all ... sweet thread. :)

Maybe I should start selling domains the way I started selling desing and hosting years ago.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back